Tendulkar wears pressure with a quiet dignity

King

No' date=' as it's obvious.[/quote'] I have totally lost you here Donny. Ok , lets try to get things back on track. You had suggested that nobody would be talking of Sachin's innings had his edges carried to the slips. I say , that is a very flimsy argument to put forward as , every batsman's innings are characterized by such stroke of luck and i am sure you know that too. Then , why this lame attempt to downplay his efforts in this test ?

We are not talking about 'every batsman's innings'. The article was about the 91 Sach hit in the first innings and it being an 'answer' to Kapil's recent claim about SRT and pressure. Only because you keep doing it: I didn't write "nobody would be talking of Sachin's innings had his edges carried to the slips." My first post was clearly in relation to the article in the opening post.

If his innings was chanceless' date= it could have been written up as a good 'answer' to Kapil.
This comment was what i was referring to. It doesnt make any sense. What counts is the circumstances under which the runs were made , and how it affected the team's chances. That is the perfect answer to Kapil's question. Not how many edges that fell short.
Once again, overkill and emotive nonsense. This writer and other Sach fans seem to conveniently forget how many times he played and missed and edged through or just short of slips. If his innings was chanceless, it could have been written up as a good 'answer' to Kapil.
he is playing far better after 20 years than Steve Waugh did or most did in his position...i agree Tendy is over the hill and deserves to be dropped- but the article was as much a reminder about Tendulkar's 'next to bradman' stature in his heydeys as is underlining his shortcommings. A guy who was averaging 50 by the time he was 21, in a world where the ONLY other 50 averagers were Viv Richards, Alan Border and Javed Miandad- all over the hill oldies inching towards retirement or old veteral greats, deserves better than pot-shots and nonsensical criticism from the media. Yes, he *IS* a special case- shouldn't be in team selection (where he unfortunately is) but he should be in the media ( where he unfortunately isn't). Just to give an Aussie analogy- the batsman Marsh/Lillee said that 'he's the best teenager we've see', ie, Ponting, was still struggling to average 40 in test cricket when Tendulkar was averaging 50 before Ponting even debuted and was already well acknowledged as being a legend despite being just a couple of years older than Ricky. In a world of high achievers, the progidy deserves special respect- that is what makes Mozart, Gauss, etc. so unique and they are rightly respected as God of Music and God of mathematics in their respective circles. if only the western media was a bit fair (and no, it isn't- whether you like it or not, it is clouded with racism, especially your(aussie) media) and the Indian media a bit more ballsy to have quiet nonchalance rather than indingnant protestation of the western minimalist perspective towards India, Tendulkar would be afforded better conduct than the disgraceful chatter of Ian Chappell or nasser hussain from the commentary box- the kind of talk that earns a kid a prompt slap from their mother. But ofcourse, every nation hides behind nationalism and loses objectivity- your nation specializes in glorifying the flat-track bully Ponting as the best thing since bradman. nevermind that the guy couldn't average 50 when averaging 50 was a challenge, despite 5-6 years of international cricket and the average just 'happens to' go up when Donald, Wasim,Waqar, Ambrose,Walsh all retired or declined significantly in their last years. Nevermind the fact that Ponting bats like a tailender in India as far as 'real cricket' goes. And as far as chanceless innings go- since when do Aussies care about that ? if chanceless was your factor, then Mark Waugh and Dean Jones would be considered better players than Steve Waugh,Border and Ponting.

:whatchutalkingabout Absolute waffle, Sandro. Please climb down off the soapbox. How the hell does all that 'Aussie' stuff have anything to do with this topic ??? Re. 'chanceless': I merely mentioned if SRT's innings had been chanceless, it would have been a good 'answer' to Kapil. I wrote nothing about Ponting nor did I even infer an innings must be free of any blemish to be worthy of merit.

:whatchutalkingabout Absolute waffle, Sandro. Please climb down off the soapbox. How the hell does all that 'Aussie' stuff have anything to do with this topic ??? Re. 'chanceless': I merely mentioned if SRT's innings had been chanceless, it would have been a good 'answer' to Kapil. I wrote nothing about Ponting nor did I even infer an innings must be free of any blemish to be worthy of merit.
Did Tendulkar's innings offer a "chance" in the cricketing sense ie. a dropped catch, a leg before which should have been......?

I am a fan of cricket - played well. I really appreciated SRT's innings. I admired how he didn't throw it away after being made mincemeat of by Sidebottom, early in his innings. I also thought Gang's innings was excellent. This partnership, and of course, Zaheer's great bowling, broke England.

Whats absolute waffle ? This is about media perception and fan-perception built by the medias i am talking about and all i am saying is that a prodegy like Tendulkar is exceedingly rare in the world, nevermind cricket seeing another 16 year old who ends up averaging 50 by the age of 21-when most 'greats' were debuting and that too in a day and age where only 3 active batsmen had 50+ average. All i said is that a prodegy isnt free from criticism but atlest, he should be accorded more respect than the rest- especially when he's conducted himself in a manner that lara-pontings of the world can only dream of. Btw, Tendy did look clueless against Sidebottom but his innings was a chanceless one- he didn't give anyone a catch and that is what a chance is. Flashing and missing isn't a chance either and if a couple of decent lbw shouts were enough to make an innings chanceless, there is maybe less than a dozen chanceless innings of any substance played in the history of test cricket, given that almost every single big knock has one or two good lbw shouts against the batsman concerned.

This newspaper " The Hindu" , I think is the BEST we can get from our media. It's not only about writers in Cricket, their columnists in Political, Defense and other issues are far better than other publications like Timesof India, HT etc who have literally turned themselves into a Tabloid. Thumbs up to "The Hindu" -- you should be called as National Newspaper.

Sandro, you addressed nothing about my critique of your post. You just presented more waffle about a 16 y.o. SRT. I repeat: How the hell does all that 'Aussie' stuff have anything to do with this topic ???
As you can see, i don't comment on cricket much- i am not just addressing Cook on this, but also the English media hype around the beamer incident.