Murali is a monster: Bedi

King

it is unbelievable tht u guys on one hand paint a huge conspiracy theory about 9/11 and jus cant seem to understand the politics behind murali being ALLOWED to operate.... it is as if u guys jus sleep-walked through tht entire period when high profile debating' date=' testing and arm-twisting was going on...[/quote'] Either way Sri Lankan board is not strong enough to force a law change. There was more to it than just Murali that prompted the law change and am sure you know that too.
Either way Sri Lankan board is not strong enough to force a law change. There was more to it than just Murali that prompted the law change and am sure you know that too.
hint: it wasnt the SL board.... murali issue almost polarized the entire cricketing world.... it suddenly became asians vs the rest issue... and guess who could have won...
How i wish i had the time ' date=' patience and knowledge to explain to all Murali bashers the science behind the chucking rule.[/quote'] gator and I have been arguing over Murali's action for atleast a couple of years now and one thing I have to give him, he has never negated the scientific results ie. Murali does not flex his elbow more than other bowlers. His gripe is that Murali has a unique bend in the elbow which gives him an unfair advantage. That's a much better point to argue aout than question science, IMO though I still keep on trying to stress to him that he does not break any law. His point is that it breaks the spirit of the law. Apologies, gator for talking to you in the third person above but just wanted to give Sriram a bit of a background.
His gripe is that Murali has a unique bend in the elbow which gives him an unfair advantage. .
Thanks for that update Shwetabh. But pointing to Murali's unique bend as something out of the ordinary is like saying " Warne has fingers that are stronger than usual" or " Wasim had quicker shoulder rotation which enabled him to bowl quicke". And anyways, it isnt Murali's bent arm that takes the wickets. Its the ball he bowls that does the job. Besides to attribute all of 700 scalps to the bent arm alone is too simplistic. Any bowler who has got so much success as murali has , should have an outstanding cricket brain , a never-say-die spirit and un-ending quest for perfection. Nobody seems to realize that.
gator and I have been arguing over Murali's action for atleast a couple of years now and one thing I have to give him, he has never negated the scientific results ie. Murali does not flex his elbow more than other bowlers. His gripe is that Murali has a unique bend in the elbow which gives him an unfair advantage. That's a much better point to argue aout than question science, IMO though I still keep on trying to stress to him that he does not break any law. His point is that it breaks the spirit of the law. Apologies, gator for talking to you in the third person above but just wanted to give Sriram a bit of a background.
Thanks Shwets...

Contrary to popular belief, Indian and other Asian cricket board were not behind bowling rule change. If you guys will remember well Murali’s doosra was outlawed for a while by the ICC. The bowling rule change was brought about after the Champions trophy in 2005. Those that claim hoarse should do a bit of reality check to figure out who the president of BCCI was at that point in time. I’ve heard people accuse Dalmiya for the rule change without even knowing Dalmiya wasn’t the president of BCCI then.

Thanks for that update Shwetabh. But pointing to Murali's unique bend as something out of the ordinary is like saying " Warne has fingers that are stronger than usual" or " Wasim had quicker shoulder rotation which enabled him to bowl quicke". And anyways, it isnt Murali's bent arm that takes the wickets. Its the ball he bowls that does the job. Besides to attribute all of 700 scalps to the bent arm alone is too simplistic. Any bowler who has got so much success as murali has , should have an outstanding cricket brain , a never-say-die spirit and un-ending quest for perfection. Nobody seems to realize that.
Mars-man... a simple question for u... why was Greg Chappell villified so much for under-arm bowling and then rule book changed to make it illegal.... why the fack was the rule book changed after he did tht.... he was not breakin any friggin law.... in this case too, the rule book was going to be changed until the money-rich BCCI and the asian bloc unity stepped in...
But pointing to Murali's unique bend as something out of the ordinary is like saying " Warne has fingers that are stronger than usual" or " Wasim had quicker shoulder rotation which enabled him to bowl quicke".
I agree with you completely. Every successful cricketer has some physical attribute which has given him an advantage. In Murali's case it happens to be a bent elbow which arouses controversy.

This is an age old topic we have ever been discussing I'll have to say. We have discussed Murali's bowling action over several pages and neither have budged from the original stance. I don't reckon it's going to bring about a change now either in our thoughts. :D

Contrary to popular belief, Indian and other Asian cricket board were not behind bowling rule change. If you guys will remember well Murali’s doosra was outlawed for a while by the ICC. The bowling rule change was brought about after the Champions trophy in 2005. Those that claim hoarse should do a bit of reality check to figure out who the president of BCCI was at that point in time. I’ve heard people accuse Dalmiya for the rule change without even knowing Dalmiya wasn’t the president of BCCI then.
Ravi... tht was for flexion...
Mars-man... a simple question for u... why was Greg Chappell villified so much for under-arm bowling and then rule book changed to make it illegal.... why the fack was the rule book changed after he did tht.... he was not breakin any friggin law.... in this case too, the rule book was going to be changed until the money-rich BCCI and the asian bloc unity stepped in...
i would like a reply on this from Shwets, Mars and Ravi...
Gats , Greg was vilified because his act was intentional act of cheating , where he deliberately mis-used the law , to make the contest between bat and ball , uneven. There is no place for such acts in cricket. Murali's bowling doesnt fall under any of this category. I believe you have got this comparison way off the mark.
Gats ' date=' Greg was vilified because his act was intentional act of cheating , where he deliberately mis-used the law , [b']to make the contest between bat and ball , uneven. There is no place for such acts in cricket. Murali's bowling doesnt fall under any of this category. I believe you have got this comparison way off the mark.
no mars.... it is spot on... murali is a cheat because he is making the contest uneven by bending his elbow by 50 degrees as long as he does not straighten by more than 15 degrees.... the result of the bend is more action from the wrist for his supposedly finger spinning deliveries as well as the doosra action.... please refer to lurks picture....
i would like a reply on this from Shwets' date=' Mars and Ravi...[/quote'] gator, the law was changed because there was a deliberate attempt to exploit the law. In Murali's case there is no deliberate attempt to cheat/exploit the rules. That's how he is. It's not that he will be able to bowl with a straight elbow (despite the front on picture that Donny posted on this thread) even if he tried.
no mars.... it is spot on... murali is a cheat because he is making the contest uneven by bending his elbow by 50 degrees as long as he does not straighten by more than 15 degrees.... the result of the bend is more action from the wrist for his supposedly finger spinning deliveries as well as the doosra action.... please refer to lurks picture....
So , A naturally stronger hip-bone of Wasim Akram that enabled him to explode at the crease and generate that little extra zip is also illegal right ? Remember gats, its not the arm that takes the wickets, its the ball which does. And wicket taking is an art , not merely something that could be conjured out of an deformed arm.
gator' date=' the law was changed because there was a deliberate attempt to exploit the law. In Murali's case there is no deliberate attempt to cheat/exploit the rules. That's how he is. It's not that he will be able to bowl with a straight elbow (despite the front on picture that Donny posted on this thread) even if he tried.[/quote'] so u r saying tht, if for some physical reason, i cant raise my arms over my shoulder height, i should be allowed to continue bowling underarm because i have some defect....