Mockery of democracy.

Ram

Mockery of democracy.  

1. 1.

• Yes , I have heard about both of them. They are quite eminent
    • Nope , not even heard their names before
    • Have heard their names before , but dont know them that well.
    • Have heard about Patil only.
    • Have heard about Ansari only.

What is happening in India now is an absolute mockery of democracy. Here we have both the presidential and vice-presidential race going on and the candidates almost decided . Ironically , if some had told me the names Pratibha Patil and Hamid Ansari , my first reaction would be Pratibha who ? (and) Ansari who ? I have honestly not even heard the names of these two people and now they are my president and vice president ! And top it all , We have the wonderfully popular Dr.A.P.J . Abdul Kalam not re-elected because the politicians didnt want him. I do understand the both the vice-president and presidential posts are largely ceremonial in nature and are nominated by people in power , but is it wrong for me to expect that people who adorn these posts have some sort of stature among the people of India ?

but is it wrong for me to expect that people who adorn these posts have some sort of stature among the people of India ?
I think it is. Shri Abdul Kalam was an exception to the trend- not since the early days of independence has a president been as popular as APJAKA. Besides, how many people are aware of our prominent scientists, economists, entreprenuers, etc etc ? Only the ones who win nobel prize or discover something are known, rest are all unknown to the people. I doubt if even 1% of Indians can name even ONE physicist from BARC(and i am in the 99% who cannot). So if having 'stature' is made an unpsoken norm/expectation, the only ones who'd be picked are movie stars, singers, dancers or some military honcho.

Guest dada_rocks

Hameed ansari was minority commission's chairman thereby in news quite often.. even as a diplomat he was standout from the crowd.. trust me those who read indian newspaper know him well, not as well as Najma Heptullah the bjp candidate though...

democracy was mocked that very day when Madam decided to "sacrifice" her own candidature and reward her puppets with Party positions and PMship. Btw...did anybody notice that all the three main candidates for VP election belong to one "particular" community. What is this obssession lately?

Btw...did anybody notice that all the three main candidates for VP election belong to one "particular" community. What is this obssession lately?
Precisely. It seems as though , If India has a women president, then it is a sign of women emancipation and if India has a Muslim Vice-President , it is a sign of minorities development . What an utter piece of trash logic !

Precisely. If India has a women president, then it is a sign of women emancipation and if India has a Muslim Vice-President
Women empowerment is a cruel Joke from p-sec and commie crowd. If anyone has an iota of doubt, just try to recollect the 30 percent reservation for Women in parliament -- the bill which was introduced by previous BJP led government. All the p-sec crowd and most notably the messiah of ROPers Mr. Mulla-Yam Singh opposed it like anything.

I have heard of the two names but yes they are not as well-known as you would expect President & Vice President to be. This only leads to a situation where such posts are going to lose their shine over the years as why bother about a post which doesnt have much of a charm? I have still not accepted Pratibha Patil in my mind though. Not sure if I am pi$$ed off at her(or her family's) criminal background, the way Sonia G gave the highest post of India on a platter or how Hindu Hridaysamrat made sure he was supporting her cos she was "Maharashtra ki beti". :sad_smile:

Women empowerment is a cruel Joke from p-sec and commie crowd. If anyone has an iota of doubt, just try to recollect the 30 percent reservation for Women in parliament -- the bill which was introduced by previous BJP led government. All the p-sec crowd and most notably the messiah of ROPers Mr. Mulla-Yam Singh opposed it like anything.
Haha.. Yes, and dont forget Mr.Laloo Yadav too , in that group of names. We should let go of such stupid symbolisms and do what makes sense. These appointments are becoming a joke off late.

Guest dada_rocks

Yes thackrey showed he is a regional party chief by supporting pratibha the crook patil those offices in other states for shiv-sena he should close down asap....... Did u hear with what sort of finesse this lady has dealt first blow.. goa speaker gets aay with robbery.. earlier u would have expected the parading of legislators in fornt of presiedent might have meant sthg and governor might have been forced to act but this time they all are sonia's puppet whence not even a pip was heard and case has disappeared from the scene,,.... psec media too didn;t find it fit enough to be discussed.. it;s just the beginning just keep watching

I find it neither surprising nor shocking nor depressing. I've lived in India long enough to know how the "babudom" works. If anything, I find it refreshing that they are video-taping these mofos and doing documentaries in an attempt to give a more tangible face to the corruption that everybody knows exists.