Microsoft v/s Apple

EnterTheVoid

Well' date=' not sure they are comparable. [b']I own two of the 3 items you have mentioned above, but still wouldn't spend my own money and buy a mac book pro cause there are decent alternatives which are cheaper. Ofc I have pretty much every other iProduct simply cause the alternatives frankly suck majorly.
Personal choice.

Personal choice.
Exactly. Its a value decision, and not just monetary. And weird why volumes and marketshare are being spoken of as positives. The world is littered with popular ****. Bajaj sells the most bikes, McD sells the most chicken. And neither bajaj makes the best or even among the best bikes and nor does MCD make the best chicken.

Exactly. Its a value decision, and not just monetary. And weird why volumes and marketshare are being spoken of as positives. The world is littered with popular ****. Bajaj sells the most bikes, McD sells the most chicken. And neither bajaj makes the best or even among the best bikes and nor does MCD make the best chicken.
It's the consumer's era. People's era. It's about what people want. A very good number of people who can afford Apple are actually buying other brands. I worked for a recent new company where the management had given everyone a mac and had to replace each laptop on demand a few weeks later. The staff simply didn't want Apple. And before you call them ignorant, it was a tech company with most of it's staff very tech savvy.

It's the consumer's era. People's era. It's about what people want. A very good number of people who can afford Apple are actually buying other brands. I worked for a recent new company where the management had given everyone a mac and had to replace each laptop on demand a few weeks later. The staff simply didn't want Apple. And before you call them ignorant' date=' it was a tech company with most of it's staff very tech savvy.[/quote'] Interesting that you say "consumer era" and then later give an example of a corporate work place!

Yea - that's a good way to look at it. But, to be fair I don't quite find that price argument in health too. @ Everyone, Please stop comparing a Desktop with a Laptop. It's the laptop wars here. :beee:

Interesting that you say "consumer era" and then later give an example of a corporate work place!
Who you think are not consumers? The example was not to show the choice of a bunch of high-income tech savy guys. If you want examples of individual consumers, this thread will given you plenty.

A high end laptop with both Linux and Windows installed can do everything that the MBP does and more at a far cheaper price. The only thing it wont have is a shiny exterior and 2 cm thickness but that doesnt really matter to me as a consumer.

A high end laptop with both Linux and Windows installed can do everything that the MBP does and more at a far cheaper price. The only thing it wont have is a shiny exterior and 2 cm thickness but that doesnt really matter to me as a consumer.
Precisely. :two_thumbs_up:

^ guys, nobody is claiming here that mbp can do 'more things' (whatever that means) than a linux/ms pc. This is exactly why we've been saying that its for those who see the value in what the mac experience offers. If you don't appreciate it then it obviously isn't for you. They are overpriced, pretty arm candies. We get it. :yay:

Who you think are not consumers? The example was not to show the choice of a bunch of high-income tech savy guys. If you want examples of individual consumers' date=' this thread will given you plenty.[/quote'] Macs are and will NEVER be designed for enterprise users. So, your examples are out of business. As for the latter part of your post, most people lamenting about the Macs are the one's who don't own them. #TrueStory

^ guys, nobody is claiming here that mbp can do 'more things' (whatever that means) than a linux/ms pc. This is exactly why we've been saying that its for those who see the value in what the mac experience offers. If you don't appreciate it then it obviously isn't for you. They are overpriced, pretty arm candies. We get it. :yay:
It's funny how it becomes Linux + PC versus the Mac. If anything it should be Linux + Mac versus the PC? :winky: Also, lets forget other tasks - just the presentation software "Keynote" is far superior and far less costly than the Microsoft Powerpoint. I have extensively used Keynote, Powerpoint and LaTex Beamer to present material. However, when it comes to that "impact" presentation it's only Keynote. In the past 1 year, I've given 5-6 public talks (each talk attended by at least 20-30 people) and have had at least one MS Powerpoint user come to me after the talk and ask - "Your presentation was good. How do you do that in Powerpoint?" My Answer - "Unfortunately, sweety you can't". This is just on the presentation. Once I start rambling about the unix core of the Mac which allows me to program much more efficiently with access to Linux features the PC doesn't even hold stead here.

It's funny how it becomes Linux + PC versus the Mac. If anything it should be Linux + Mac versus the PC? :winky: .
Its not Linux+PC vs Mac. Its Linux+Windows on a PC vs MacOS on a MBP. The former works out to be far cheaper and provides all the functionality that a MBP does along with programming and gaming. Now if users are willing to pay that much extra for a sleek device, its entirely their choice, but personally I dont see enough separating the two devices to justify the price gap. If anything,
Once I start rambling about the unix core of the Mac which allows me to program much more efficiently with access to Linux features the PC doesn't even hold stead here.
What features are these?

Its not Linux+PC vs Mac. Its Linux+Windows on a PC vs MacOS on a MBP. The former works out to be far cheaper and provides all the functionality that a MBP does along with programming and gaming.
Wohi yaar. Linux + Windows versus Mac OS is clubbing two things versus one. Unfair, I say!
Now if users are willing to pay that much extra for a sleek device, its entirely their choice, but personally I dont see enough separating the two devices to justify the price gap. If anything,
Phirse wohi baat. Have you used a Macbook? Phir how come the "justification" word. Damn the trackpad on the Macs itself hasn't been replicated by anyone. Same configuration PC costs around 10k less. I own both - Sony Vaio and a Macbook Pro, 10k difference but the Vaio has already gone down. I guess it won't work for my needs in another 8 months or so. Therefore, in net effect it cost me more for the a PC than the Mac. Also, you must know that vendors like HP make it difficult to install Linux on their laptops. Linux performs horrible on such laptops which issues with WiFi and battery power.

^ guys' date=' [b']nobody is claiming here that mbp can do 'more things' (whatever that means) than a linux/ms pc. This is exactly why we've been saying that its for those who see the value in what the mac experience offers. If you don't appreciate it then it obviously isn't for you. They are overpriced, pretty arm candies. We get it. :yay:
Then why is there even a debate about 'best/better' machine? For some 'experience' may mean - value for money - and full control over what you (supposed to) own. People have written great s/w without leaving 'vi' on a 386. and such people will continue creating great things regardless of whether its mac, linux... or even windows.

Wohi yaar. Linux + Windows versus Mac OS is clubbing two things versus one. Unfair' date=' I say![/quote'] Its not unfair because I actually install these two things on the same laptop and hence compared its value with what the MBP provides. you can also factor in the ability to install Linux on the mac if that is possible, but I would say very few people actually do that. I have used the Macbook quite a bit even though I have not owned it. The Mac desktop even more because there was a lab in college. You might have found the PC to be more expensive in the long run but that is not the case with the majority. I bought my Studio for around 40K and have been using it on dual boot with Ubuntu/Windows for more than 4 years now. Like I posted before, if a 40K machine on average lasted for just 2-3 years , there would be very few people who would actually cough up the money to purchase it. So yes the higher price on the Mac provides no justification to me with its sleek looking design and slightly more usable OS. A PC costing significantly lesser and which can play games and works for programming with a dual boot of Windows/Linux works out to be both cheaper and more offers more value for my usage needs. How does HP make it difficult to install Linux? I have installed it on HP machines without any issues. The network cards are mostly Broadcomm and you get display drivers for ATI. The only difference are since these are proprietary you cannot install them from APT and have to go through the Additional Software options. As far as battery goes, yes Linux does consume more power than Windows on a PC, but it would also consume more power on a Mac if you happened to install it on one. With newer versions of Ubuntu, I find the gap to be decreasing.