10 people shot dead at premiere of new Batman film in Denver

velu

James Holmes shot 71 people 12 of them die so is he a terrorist or he doesn't fit the bill?
No, unless he can be connected to certain communities. He is just a common American with some possible psychological issues. If he came from some oil-rich, weapons-poor country, he would definitely have been a terrorist and this act would have been considered an act of war against America which could only be answered by invasion.

This issue (and the death penalty) are where I part with my conservatism. It is a self-defense and "protection-against-oppressive-regimes" argument that needs to be reconsidered. First, assault weapons should be banned, and current gun laws need to be strongly enforced. Remember this: while these dramatic, suburban middle-class, mass killings make headlines, tens of 1000s of people are killed in gun violence each year - mostly in poor neighborhoods in big cities - with illegal weapons.
The issue lies in easy availability of firearms. Just about any idiot can get his hands on a gun. Such things are only likely to happen every once in a while.

Come again?
Ever heard of Travyon Martin? I bet there a ton of cases like that. I am interested in hearing how many of these cases are genuine self defense and if even then what options the person had without killing the other person.

This issue (and the death penalty) are where I part with my conservatism. It is a self-defense and "protection-against-oppressive-regimes" argument that needs to be reconsidered. First, assault weapons should be banned, and current gun laws need to be strongly enforced. Remember this: while these dramatic, suburban middle-class, mass killings make headlines, tens of 1000s of people are killed in gun violence each year - mostly in poor neighborhoods in big cities - with illegal weapons.
I seriously dont understand this mentality. If criminaerls have illegal guns, give legal guns to citizens to defend themselves? What next, if criminals rape, go and rape their women? There are countires where even the police do not carry guns yet those countries are highly peaceful! You will never eradicate violcence by encouraging violent retribution. Easy availabi;ty of guns only turn people who lose thier tempers into killers. As for criminals having access to illegal fire-arms, once guns are controlled and regulated, even the quality of those illegal fire-arms will decrease dramatically

Elderly man uses concealed weapon to scare off two robbers at internet cafe. Happened last week I believe in Florida. [sURVEILLANCE VIDEO] Shooting At Florida Internet Cafe - YouTube
Still not worth it, the crimes caused because of the easy availabilty of guns is much worse and more rampant than such exceptional cases. Who knows, with better gun control, even those robbers wouldnt have guns with them

Still not worth it' date=' the crimes caused because of the easy availabilty of guns is much worse and more rampant than such exceptional cases. Who knows, with better gun control, even those robbers wouldnt have guns with them[/quote']I agree with you, and I would prefer to live in a country having highly restrictive gun laws like India. However, in the US I dont see a way for the country to make that transition, simply because the country is flooded with guns and people (esp in rural or crime prone areas) would be dead against giving up their guns (and rightly so) while the criminals still possess illegal firearms. One big step would be a complete ban on possessing automatic weapons. Not going to happen though.

I agree with you' date= and I would prefer to live in a country having highly restrictive gun laws like India. However, in the US I dont see a way for the country to make that transition, simply because the country is flooded with guns and people (esp in rural or crime prone areas) would be dead against giving up their guns (and rightly so) while the criminals still possess illegal firearms. One big step would be a complete ban on possessing automatic weapons. Not going to happen though.
:yikes: Dude, There are a lot of things which are f**** up here I can assure you. A gun may not be available but your life is no great in worth than that in USA.

Are you sure you're making sense to yourself? Even a country as lawless as Sudan will have a self defence exception in cases of homicide or grievous injury. Whether a case is 'genuine' self defense is immaterial - the right to kill another to protect oneself from harm is universal and unchallenged.
Self defense doesn't always mean killing the other person. You seem to be one of those who thinks shoot first and then think if you really needed to.

Are you sure you're making sense to yourself? Even a country as lawless as Sudan will have a self defence exception in cases of homicide or grievous injury. Whether a case is 'genuine' self defense is immaterial - the right to kill another to protect oneself from harm is universal and unchallenged.
Yah another BBC / CNN watcher... have u ever been to Sudan ... what do u know abt it??? Lawless.. its phaacking trillion times better than any other African country ... i have been there and still here at present (being in marine co. i have been posted here for some time) ... Ask any Gujju who is staying here for last 3 generations... they find this place much more safer than India. Port Sudan is still having a good portion of Indians ... -- No cases of rape in Sudan for last 10 years -- No cases of robbery.. -- my flat is just beside a Bank , daily mrng there currency is lifted on a pickup car ... with just one police staff. -- Here there is a big market for Gold ... u hardly find a guard in the night ... Ask the UN forces .. plenty of Indian forces here .. ( many of them are my friends) they have a nice time here .. little work and a good money... Well ... yah i am just trolling may be .. u can ask INDIAN AMBASSADOR TO SUDAN. MR DEEPAK VOHRA (remember the DD anchor) ... he by himself asked for 2nd term because he loved to stay here... (i met him twice)... but he couldn't get the 3rd. America says there are lot of issues... homicide etc.. well any guesses... hmmm .. OIL.

How the FAAAK did this guy manage to buy 6000 ammunition rounds without any red flag going off ?? U can't even sh1t n fart at the same time on the plane before appearing on No Fly list. Assualt weapons like m16s, Ak 47s should be banned with immediate effect. You don't need these weapons for personal defense.

How the FAAAK did this guy manage to buy 6000 ammunition rounds without any red flag going off ?? U can't even sh1t n fart at the same time on the plane before appearing on No Fly list. Assualt weapons like m16s' date=' Ak 47s should be banned with immediate effect. You don't need these weapons for personal defense.[/quote'] Texy - I heard it's easy to buy bullet rounds (normal ones) at Walmart but not medicines? True or False.

Texy - I heard it's easy to buy bullet rounds (normal ones) at Walmart but not medicines? True or False.
They sell shotgun ammunition, rifles, rifle ammunition, & handgun ammunition --- for hunting purposes but obviously one can use it for anything. They don't sell shotguns & hand guns just rifle. And yes, other than a 21 and over ID check...one can just walk in and buy bullets faster than medicines.

Colorado Theater Shooting: James Holmes Charged With 24 Counts of Murder, 116 Attempted Murder http://www.thewrap.com/media/article/colorado-theater-shooting-james-holmes-charged-24-counts-murder-116-attempted-murder-49896 aurora27n-1-web.jpg

Holmes was also charged with 116 counts of attempted murder and possession of an explosive device after police discovered an elaborate web of booby traps in his apartment that they said was meant to kill any officers responding there the night of the massacre, according to court documents obtained by TheWrap.