sickening Javagal Srinath delivery, brutal eye injury

Robelinda

I am sure Srinath went to SA dressing room and apologised after the end of the play for bowling the bouncer. If only Srinath would have been more aggressive with a mean streak he would have been one of the premier fast bowlers of the game.
Yeah he did that with Ponting too and got a **** off in return Very good bowler though and played his heart out !!!

Yeah he did that with Ponting too and got a **** off in return Very good bowler though and played his heart out !!!
I am glad somebody actually remembers that incident! That was the incident I had in mind when I wrote the previous post. That incident was so humiliating to watch as an Indian fan. Your premier fast bowler hits the batsman and then walks up to apologise! Mind you not ask how he was doing or whether he was hurt but to actually say sorry and apologise :omg: And then the batsman (Ponting in this case) responds with a volley of abuse which essentially transalates "get the phuck out of here and bowl you phaggot" and our fast bowler tuns around meekly with head bowed and walks up to the bowling mark. He should have given it back to Ponting and bowled a beamer next up to remind him who the boss was. Nope he had to be goody two shoes all the way. That incident shows why Srinath ended up as a mediocre bowler when he had all the attributes to be one of the greats of the game. I wish he had a bit more aggression and mongrel in him.

Yeah i thought the same, earlier in that Australian innings Srinath was laughing with Langer after he nicked a few balls down to third man, the Aussies just didnt rate him, he had no venom. Still a very good bowler though, i thought. Unlucky at times, i guess some bowlers arent comfortable doing the aggressive Andre Nel sort of stuff, but with Srinath he genuinely felt he had no right to be aggressive, even just following up a good delivery with a bouncer, maybe this Pringle incident changed him, for the worse.

Yeah i thought the same' date=' earlier in that Australian innings Srinath was laughing with Langer after he nicked a few balls down to third man, the Aussies just didnt rate him, he had no venom. Still a very good bowler though, i thought. Unlucky at times, i guess some bowlers arent comfortable doing the aggressive Andre Nel sort of stuff, but with Srinath he genuinely felt he had no right to be aggressive, even just following up a good delivery with a bouncer, maybe this Pringle incident changed him, for the worse.[/quote'] Andre Nel was a joke to be honest. He acted way over the top and I highly doubt he made batsmen uncomfortable with his demeanour. I suspect the batsmen would get together after the break andhave a good laugh at Nel's antics. Back to Srinath, I don't blame Aussies for not rating him highly. He wasn't cut out to be a fast bowler. I recall another story that once he hit a batsman in the head (I think he was one of the SL wk in late 90s after Kaluwitharna) and felt faint after seeing the batsman bleeding. He was way too genial and nice a person to be a good fast bowler.

The regret is his pace bowling partners, rather the lack of them. One can only wonder what our record could have been if our spearheads in respective eras (Kapil, Javagal, Zaheer) had pace/seam bowling partners of equal calibre.

Andre Nel was a joke to be honest. He acted way over the top and I highly doubt he made batsmen uncomfortable with his demeanour. I suspect the batsmen would get together after the break andhave a good laugh at Nel's antics. Back to Srinath' date= I don't blame Aussies for not rating him highly. He wasn't cut out to be a fast bowler. I recall another story that once he hit a batsman in the head (I think he was one of the SL wk in late 90s after Kaluwitharna) and felt faint after seeing the batsman bleeding. He was way too genial and nice a person to be a good fast bowler.
I was thinking the same abt Nel; even Sreesanth manhandled him (and almost hit him too on his dance after the six!!)

The regret is his pace bowling partners' date=' rather the lack of them. One can only wonder what our record could have been if our spearheads in respective eras (Kapil, Javagal, Zaheer) had pace/seam bowling partners of equal calibre.[/quote'] I don't think Srinath had the mentality of a fast bowler and was meant to be a fast bowler. IMO you need to have a mean streak to be a successful fast bowler and should genuinely dislike a batsman. Compare Srinath to any great bowlers and you will see the difference. Blokes like Donald, McGrath, Akhtar, Ambrose were nasty and didn't take too kindly to being hit around, taunted or sledged. You only need to look at Ambrose's reaction at being asked to remove his wrist bands by Dean Jones, McGrath in general as he was always grumpy on the field or how Donald reacted in an odi in late 90s against Dravid when Dravid hit him for a 6 or a 4. You can clearly make out whether the bowler is just acting (like Nel or Sreesanth) or genuinely dislikes to be around the batsmen. I am sorry but Srinath was never a similar sort of player and batsmen never really feared him even though Srinath was probably one of the quickest, if not quickest, bowler going around. Nel is like Sreesanth. All drama no substance.