Mary Kom storms into semis, confirms a medal

don_corleone840

She apologized for not winning gold, :isalute: and then we have cricketers who lose 8-0 overseas and then say "so what "
Our cricketers have won the World Cup and were number 1 in tests. They earn respect at highest level like Olympics is for athlete's, but i agree recently they were pathetic. Yeah disappointing Mary didn't get gold. But **** happens it's sport, just wasn't expecting her to lose so comprehensively. Probably cause of the higher weight division.

That is a sign that she might have been overwhelmed by the situation and could not put up her best.
Yeah our athlete's don't do well mentally. We need better sports psychologists (if we have any to start with) to prepare them mentally. Was reading other day how you can pump up an under aroused (overconfident, bored) athlete and calm down through things like meditation nervous athlete's to get them into optimal level of arousal (different level for all sports). Here they can get into the zone and perform to their ability which many Indians haven't done. You know just try stuff to better prepare them mentally. Our athlete's have skill but they are not used to the weight of expectations of so many people. Look at Deepika, World No.1 but lost to 50th rank. I haven't seen that in any other sport. We need to prepare better mentally, get some professional mental coaches or whatever but something has to be done. Look at our cricketers, chasing 275 so much expectation and cruised home. They are used to pressure, these athlete's are not. So much money spent on cricketers but so little on other sports.

Well she had to fight in a higher weight division. There are only three olympic weight categories for women's boxing, so the field fo each category is stronger. She did well imo. At least a few Indians will return from England with their heads held high.:giggle:

That is a sign that she might have been overwhelmed by the situation and could not put up her best.
It might also be a sign of what she considers her benchmark. She's a five time world champion and her bench mark is the gold. Quite simple for me. To definitively put this as a sign of mental "weakness" is quite naive IMO.

It might also be a sign of what she considers her benchmark. She's a five time world champion and her bench mark is the gold. Quite simple for me. To definitively put this as a sign of mental "weakness" is quite naive IMO.
You are being naive to equate drop in performance/output (below one's own best) due to anxiety or weight of expectations - with - some fundamental mental weakness.

You are being naive to equate drop in performance/output (below one's own best) due to anxiety or weight of expectations - with - some fundamental mental weakness.
I would say that you don't have a quantifiable measure of the "drop" in performance due to anxiety. IMO, Adams out strategized her.