This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006...

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006...

Dhondy, what exactly are you trying to say? That SRT does not live up to your/the public's expectations? If so, what ARE your expectations? Remember this guy is 34, and an Indian 34 is closer to a Caucasian and Afro-Caribbean 40. I know he had a massive brainfart this morning, but, hey, he is over his prime and there isnt anyone to replace him. Yet. The last bits of our ode befit the current Indian number 6 though!
That may be true for couch potatoes, but not for sportsmen. Whatever way you look at it, it was a criminal, irresponsible,, unnecessary stroke. If India lose this match, that one stroke would have played a significant part.

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... Dhondy, on one hand you consistently write him off. You come up with posts like he looked like a scared schoolboy or there was only one man standing tall and had the heart, others were wimps etc when Dravid made a laborious 50 in one of the ODIs earlier. SRT played a similar knock in the 4th ODI yet went unnoticed. Now he's our 2nd highest run getter in this test series and yet he is getting lambasted. I thought you thought he was over the hill and that Pathan was a better bat that SRT. If THAT is still the case, why do you expect a 163 from him? You should be happy with 63, no?

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... Gambit, I think generalization only fuzzes the issue, and should be avoided. He may have looked like a scared schoolboy in an odd innings, but not today. He looked on top of his form, like the regal batsman he is. Which is why it hurt all the more when he abdicated his responsibility by playing a criminal stroke. Why are you guys finding it so hard to understand what I am saying? And let's keep Dravid out of this. Why is his name being mentioned? He wasn't in, and he got a bad decision.

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... So he played a bad stroke. Big deal. Atleast he's being amongst the runs. He is our 2nd highest run getter. This is supposed to be a man who people were calling over the hill, worse than Pathan etc. All I'm saying to people who believe(d) this is that surely they should be happy with his performance so far given their fairly low and non existent expectation from him.

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... The expectations were pitched according to his performances in the last 10 Tests. He is clearly back in form, thus raising those expectations, and should have made the most of it. Above all, he should have thought of the team. He didn't.

The expectations were pitched according to his performances in the last 10 Tests. He is clearly back in form, thus raising those expectations, and should have made the most of it. Above all, he should have thought of the team. He didn't.
There you go, another euphemism for selfishness. He played a very restrained innings by his own standards, guess that too was selfish. And just as BB said, you decided to deride him every way based on a bad year, in other words, take some chinese herbs to boost memory.

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... Oh that old not a team player chestnut again. He was the only one scoring runs for us. Laxman was sleeping. He was trying to force the issue with good positive strokeplay. This is what I find confusing. When he batted in a carefree fashion, people said he should restrain himself. When he restrained himself, people called him selfish and longed for the days when he batted with abandon. Now that he IS batting almost like he used to, people are calling for restrain AND calling him selfish. Funny stuff.

This is supposed to be a man who people were calling over the hill
Are you claiming that he ISN'T over the hill ? Personally, i think Tendulkar will finish his career in the same way Viv Richards did - averaging well under 40 for the final 3 seasons of his career. He just can't dominate bowlers like he used to.

The expectations were pitched according to his performances in the last 10 Tests. He is clearly back in form, thus raising those expectations, and should have made the most of it.
Then clearly the fault lies with people's expectations. Make up your mind. Do you think he is great? If you don't, then be happy with a 50/60. Do you think he is out of form and deserves to be booted? If you do, then be happy with the runs he's making. If you expect runs from him even though you consider Pathan to be the better bat and SRT to be weak minded, then the fault lies with your expectations.

Are you claiming that he ISN'T over the hill ?
I am not claiming anything. I'm just happy he made runs especially after what I've been reading about people's predictions regarding him and how almost zilch is expected from him.

No Veer, I take a world view on things, not an Indian view. Some people just don't seem to understand that.
world view = pakpassion view?? :eew:
Certainly. I try and see us from their POV occasionally, and try and figure out what it'll take to earn their respect.

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... I would like some of you to bash him when he does poorly and some of you to praise him when he does well. We have one set who will never ever be upset with his performance, will never call for his head if he doesn't do better, etc. And then we have others who won't be satisified with anything less than a match winning double hundred. I for one think he has done very well this test and won't hesitate to question his place in the team if he does poorly.