Very Interesting Indian Stuff

Shehezaada

Ok guys just doing a bit of research as a summer job and I'm finding some very interesting facts. There's a trend....of Indians discovering something and that very something being conveniently rediscovered by our white counterparts... Case in point being the discovery of the zero, which was Brahmagupta's discovery..is still not suitably being given credit for. Also more important is the discovery of the atom, which the Aryans called the Parmanu. Have other people known this? Or am I making a mistake? Am I wrong to say that Indians discovered the atom?

Am I wrong to say that Indians discovered the atom?
Yes and no. Indians didnt discover the atom, since we didn't have microscopes back then or any sort of device to prove or substantiate the theory and thus claim a scientific discovery. However, Indians most certainly hypothised the atom based on their understanding of the natural order and laws of nature. Indic sciences are not always substantiated in the western style theorem-proof methodology but extrapolated from our understanding of the universe, which is/was remarkably close to the phenomenal reality and in some cases, surpasses the empirical objectivity of western science.

Guest dada_rocks

who knows what they had....... in qutub complex that gupta minaret is still a mystery to metallurgical scientists all over the world...

who knows what they had.
I can safely say that they DID NOT have electron microscope or even the powerful optical microscopes of europe in the 1800s. There is no mention of the concept even in our sciences and without microscopic analysis or vaccum-tube experiments/Rutherford's gold-foil experiment, you CANNOT prove or find evidence of atomic structure of matter. So in short, your 'who knows what they had' is utterly ridiculous in this particular instance. They most definitely did not have the means to determine the atomic nature of matter but as i said, indic sciences have been based on the scientific principle of logic->evidence->interpretation and is in some ways, even superior to the western philosophy of science that we know as science today. That allowed them to hypothesize with remarkable accuracy in the ancient times, even if they did not have proof for their hypothesis.

Slightly different to the topic started by Shehzaada but I thought I would share something that perhaps many of you may not be aware. Okay so I am a bit of a health nut. The kind that drags his ar$e to the gym everyday and takes health supplements. A very interesting thing that I have observed recently is that the Western Health Supplement Industry is slowly turning towards East. Many of the latest development, if not most, have roots in India. A few shall suffice. 1) A good fat burner these days is Sesamine, basically seeds of sesame or sesame oil extracted out of it. Now if you are from Northern India, specially UP/Bihar, you would realize that sesame seeds are used widely to make sweets. In Gaya, my hometown, tilkoot(a delicacy made of sesame and sugar) is greatly popular. The odd thing is that Gaya folks, no matter how much tilkoot they consume, dont get too fat. This is basically because sesame seeds stimulate your metabolism, act as a healthy fat and ensures you dont pack on weight. For 15 years I ate tilkoot and now I realize how it worked. 2) The latest protein fad in the West is now soy/pea protein. Even though Whey and Casein remain the most popular protein(both derivatives of milk) soy/pea protein are fast breaking ground. The only thing that holds them back is that they are supposed to assist in endrogen receptor production, a thingy that leads to Man Boobs. The day scientist can take care of it soy/pea protein shall rock, since they are high on Amino Acid content as also much cheaper. 3) The best post-workout eating habit suggested these days is to consume simple fast digesting sugar with some protein with high Amino Acid content. The way gym rats do is by consuming Glucose/Dextrose/Maltodextrin/WaxyMaize alongwith Whey Protein. Before the supplement industry came along an Indian akhaara would have people consume channa(lentil) and gud(jaggery) before and after workout. The former is a complex protein while the latter is simple sugar. A solid protein/carb combo..and you perhaps thought channa/gud was for horses! There are many more such instances that I wouldnt bore you with. My point is that we have had all these things with us but never realized it. It is fantastic to know that culturally we have such an enriched heritage. It is equally fascinating to note that Western world has been able to give the reasoning behind it. What was that again.. West is West and East is East and Never shall the twain meet? xxx

Guest dada_rocks

Lurker ye sari chijen documented hain ancient text mein wo baat aur hai koi parhana nahin chahta use...... most ko to samajh mein nahin aati hai.. kisi ne thora translation akr diya sahi galt with right or wrong intent usi se kaam chalte hain log ..han kuchh jo ki farmaya aapne by way of words abhi tak jinda hain tradition mein..... dhyan diya hoga winter ( relatively dull period physically) mein tilkoot jyada aati hai currency mein .. wo west wale omega-3 ye omega-3 wo ke liye kya kya tablet khate hain aur mere ganv mein har sabji ke sath tisi (flax-seeds) ka chatni ak constant presence hua karta that..... Chana-gur ka prachalan to abhi bhi hai....... mere chachji ki dictionary mein har bimari ka ak hi ilaaz hai subah subah chana-gur khana shuru kar do.. it used to work llike a charm.... Religiously inclined ones to sugar ko chhute bhi nahin hain.....

dhyan diya hoga winter ( relatively dull period physically) mein tilkoot jyada aati hai currency mein ..
That is exactly what I was thinking too. Til(sesame) is consumed by bulk during winters. Bihar mein it is Tilkoot but outside there is gajak and of course til ka laddoo. Now the theory behind eating sweets made of til is that it warms your body from inside(which it does) but it is fascinating that during winters when people rarely go out and consume sweets like tilkoot they rarely put on weight! This is atleast partly due to sesame oil and its benefits. See the good thing about Indian culture is it is very simple to follow, often common sensical. That whole channa gur thingy is like that. No faltoo ka jhanjhat. That also reminds me of Sattu. It is a complete food in itself, good amount of proetin/carb combo with fibre to boot. Unfortunately it has been relegated to a poor man's food but I am not sure if there are too many food thingy that can match Sattu. xxx

Guest dada_rocks

Kahan hai aap janaab it used to be poor man's food ab to mainstream mein aa gaya hai..I still remember the long queue I used to bump into on "Panditji ka Sattu stall" early in the morning after jogging in muzaffarpur.. Sattu namak nibu and kali mirch in water used to be the recipe...

Kahan hai aap janaab it used to be poor man's food ab to mainstream mein aa gaya hai..I still remember the long queue I used to bump into on "Panditji ka Sattu stall" early in the morning after jogging in muzaffarpur.. Sattu namak nibu and kali mirch in water used to be the recipe...
Arre it was mainsteam always. Lekin in a middle class Bihari family you may have Sattu ka litti say 1-2 times a week, or Sattu ka paratha with same frequency. However the poor people, say rickshawallah/farmers etc, consume it everyday. Specially during summer season when they would have a glass of sattu in water before the start of work and then at the end. The thing is sattu is very filling, because of high fibre content. Plus it absorbs water. Issiliye pyaas lagta hai. Lekin it also keeps you full for a long time. Ab pahle buddhi nahin tha na. Speaking of sattu, isnt that what Sudama gave to Krishna when he met him after a while?? How come it is only Bihar where it is used now? :hmmmm: xx

Guest dada_rocks
i believe i make very tasty sattu ka sharbat.... my recipe.. chane ka sattu 5 tbs 1 neembu thoda kala namak thoda iodised namak 1-2 crushed kali mirch 1-2 crushed hajmola and sprinkle chat masala.... its divine...:D
Fried jeera ( cumin seeds) powder is must

lurker....phir to iske peene ka baad stomach to thanda ho jayega..lekin baad me kuch aur jalega..:cantstop:
:hysterical::hysterical: Aise yesterday DR was giving some tips about mast aaloo-parwal ka tarkaari. We were in one of thse threads and he mentioned parwal ki mthai as well

Guest dada_rocks

Ham to khud ka hi thread hijack karte hain.:haha:. mind u culprit is lurker is petu ko har chij mein khana sujhata hai ,, wo shur kar deta hai main bahak jata hun:giggle:

Ham to khud ka hi thread hijack karte hain.:haha:. mind u culprit is lurker is petu ko har chij mein khana sujhata hai ' date=', wo shur kar deta hai main bahak jata hun:giggle:[/quote'] Guilty as charged. The way to this man's heart is certainly through his stomach. :regular_smile: So Shehzaada did you get enough material for your research man?