Guest dada_rocks

Civilian nuclear deal poll  

1. 1.

• Strongly support it
    • Strongly oppose it
    • Have some reservation but will support
    • Have reservation and I am not sure about support

Guest dada_rocks

fourth option will suit u in that case, .. and if u are really indifferent then there is a better option which wud be not bothering with the thread.. That's the real indifference ...:cantstop: go ahead vote now

Guest dada_rocks
i thought that option would be for refugees and pakistanis on this board.. :confused_smile:
consider this thread hijacked thanks to cricketics for stating the obvious though:cantstop:

i thought that option would be for refugees and pakistanis on this board.. :confused_smile:
Not really, i think either which way, it will not make a big deal to India in the long run. He who is the economic power weilds the biggest clout in economic matters. Period. In 20-30 years time, India will be the 2nd largest/possibly largest economy in the world if it keeps growing. US & Australia are capitalistic and they will not jeopardize their $$ especially when facing a choice between 'civillian multi-party democracy' and 'dictatorial retards'. And by then, India would be in a position to come up with alternatives. So either way, i do not think this deal will mean much if India keeps growing. And if it doesnt, then it would not matter much either since a financially poor india will have a lot of other bigger problems to deal with than nuclear fuel.

Guest dada_rocks

Ab hawa mein to wo development hoga nahin.. 9-10% growth rate demands energy consumption and u might not have noticed but this is a step in that direction..

More or less everybody supoprts except cc which was expected anyway..
Which is good. We need people of all viewpoints and more importantly people who have the conviction to stand behind them. As for Nuclear Fuel being the only way out of energy-starved India I don't buy it. But I also concede that I do not have an answer to what should be India's way out. I would like IITs/IISC to come up with some indigeneous invention, something that would change the world, and specially India, forever. We have the brains, the instituties and now a strong economy. I am looking for a more "Indian" solution to this whole quagmire really. xxx

Look, India is not playing its cards right- it is in a position to leverage around the west in this nuclear deal issue. The perception of India in the west is mostly non-antagonistic (except from hardcore neo-nazi & christian circles). The west is mostly ignorant about India and its history but so far, it doesnt mind India- it sees India as a land of zillion poor people who've somehow patched up a democracy and is improving. They do not mind India's rise or see it fearfully as they do China's or Russia's. Or at the least, they do not mind the idea of India developing significantly more than it is currently. So what India does is this : plays the card that says ' if we don't get nuclear fuel, we will be forced to buy more and more oil or produce bio-diesel, which will be more and more pollution to the ECOLOGY and GLOBAL WARMING will be worse. Thank you for forcing us to take the option that screws all of us'. Get the Indian media to generate stories along these angles- for this angle has not been covered one bit. And given the westerner's psyche, playing the 'more gas will be burnt' card will help a lot. As for geniuine alternatives- i think India can do without nuclear fuel though it'd be harder financially for us. We have the option of keep buying more oil with our FCR at the expense of a slower growth infrastructually, we can do a huge 'plant jathropha in gujrat, rajasthan and basically any big chunk of barren land you can find' drive, supplement it with solar & wind power and with the oil, keep growing until we got the thorium breeder going or exert far more clout financially. Plus there is one big danger sign over the nuclear idea i don't think we are covering. These are the questions i have and the concerns with them: 1. What is the scale of the proposed nuclear facilities ? is it 5 ? 10 ? 20 ? 25 facilities ? 2. Since it is clear that whatever deal is cut out, Indian military will be barred from these facilities, who does the security job ? These are two very important questions since currently all the nuclear facilties in India, to my knowledge, are secured by the military. If the military is no longer involved in 20-25 additional reactors, it is merely a factor of time before some nutter terrorist from Pakistan blows up a nuclear power plant and create a horrifying disaster. There is no doubt that the military will NOT be allowed anywhere near the 'new civillian facilities', since whatever deal is cut, we are already agreed upon (ie, India's official stance) is that fissile byproducts will not be used for military purposes. Do we really have the technically, physically and loyally competent enough a bunch in India outside the military when it comes to protecting something with National interest ? In a country which faces the largest # of terrorist attacks outside of a near civil-war Iraq, it is an angle that is sheer foolishness to overlook.

Guest dada_rocks

I respect ur optimism about "indian solution" but it's little far-fetched.. All the other options solar/wind etc at best will be peanuts.. yes there is one option which will be processing petro-stones found in north-east.. Given current oil price it will be even cost-effective but sadly it will be disastrously un-green.... PS: Don't care doesn't come under conviction:-)

All the other options solar/wind etc at best will be peanuts..
That is because you are looking at it the wrong way- we have this tendency to look for the 'miracle drug' or 'miracle fuel' when instead, it wouldnt be much harder to do a blend of all. Sure, solar by itself will be peanuts- but solar + jathropha + wind + some more oil will be more than enough to offset nuclear tech IMO.

Guest dada_rocks

What makes u think blend of all is not in pipeline.......Jathropa has its limitationss too.. every option is being pursued if planners think these are not enough it has some sound reason......

The perception of India in the west is mostly non-antagonistic (except from hardcore neo-nazi & christian circles). The west is mostly ignorant about India and its history but so far, it doesnt mind India- it sees India as a land of zillion poor people who've somehow patched up a democracy and is improving. They do not mind India's rise or see it fearfully as they do China's or Russia's. Or at the least, they do not mind the idea of India developing significantly more than it is currently. So what India does is this : plays the card that says ' if we don't get nuclear fuel, we will be forced to buy more and more oil or produce bio-diesel, which will be more and more pollution to the ECOLOGY and GLOBAL WARMING will be worse. Thank you for forcing us to take the option that screws all of us'.
Couple of things there CC. I am not worried if India is not "feared" a la Russia and China. I would much rather have India appreciated and respected, if not liked. Fear mongering is not something that appeals me. Your second point about pollution is pertinent indeed. China is fast becoming the biggest polluter in the world, if it is not there already. You don't became the Factory of the world without putting too much smoke in the atmosphere so to speak. Plus of course unlike West where u do not have stringent environment policies there is no such thing in China. Not to mention the pollution due to cars and stuff. This is a big issue in the West and sure India can use it to its leverage with a "Look you either get us some incentive or you will have another pollution creating country". xx

I am not worried if India is not "feared" a la Russia and China. I would much rather have India appreciated and respected, if not liked. Fear mongering is not something that appeals me.
I agree- i was highlighting a fact, not trying to potray a stance.