Match analysis of 4th ODI?

Chandan

Can someone do the match analysis for me here? I didn't watch England's inning and hence don't know what went right and then horribly wrong for us. Ravi said, Dravid's captaincy took a nosedive. Please explain it a bit more for me. I don't trust CI or any other reports which are useless and biased most of the times. Hence I'm asking any of you to take the pain for me here, please!!

I had thought that on this kind of pitch RPS would create the maximum headaches for the English batters as he gets some disconcerting bounce with his action. But Dravid didn't even let him bowl his overs completely. Were we as bad in the field? Were few catches dropped, run-outs missed too? Our pace bowlers were not economical. Was that a fear in Dravid's mind too?

yes I forgot fielding was poor except for the collingwood runout . gave away about 15-20 runs. Aggy was his usual self ... feeding a "Pls spank me" ball every over but for a change he also bowled a few "you dont deseve to be here" balls ... Zack was useless in the second spell and by the time RP came for his second spell it was a little too late. Biggest dissapointment for me was Chawla.
Someone was writing in the match thread that Chawla was ripping leg breaks and also called him a young Warney in making!

Still with all the shortcomings, I think if we had 20 runs more, we could have made it. Somehow I felt that Ganguly was batting under the ultimatum of hit out or get out. It was extremely dangerous on this pitch. If he had stayed on even without scoring much runs, we'd have reaped rewards later as it was considerably easier batting after 25 overs in both the innings. Ganguly's dismissal started a slide. Had a pacer earned his wicket, I'd have had no complaints. But Ganguly litrally threw his wicket for a few early runs. I think he or team-management misread the pitch.

Still with all the shortcomings, I think if we had 20 runs more, we could have made it.
dont fall for that theory.. if we had set up target of 250.. they would have played accordingly.. and that goes for all matches wheather its 20 runs or 100 runs..

Chandu... one more point... stupidest of all was Dhoni once stumped broad and didn't even appeal.. Replays showed that his leg was above the ground when bells were dislodged... Or at least it was worth appealing. It was excellent take by dhoni. As he misses so many of them, y'day he picked many difficult ones from Chawla as he was sporadically wayward at times throwing wides etc. IMHO, Dravid did best to pick those 7 wkts in the first place. With Aggy left to bowl only 1 over and RP wasn't that impressive with the bowl, he wanted to break the partnership with spinners on both the end. And they bowled some splendid deliveries. Even got one LBW which umpire denied out right. There were total of 12 incidences of misfield, 4 of them resulted in 4 runs. 3 resulted in 2 runs for 1, 3 over throws giving away extra run each and 2 occasions where catches were dropped. And trust me Dravid cannot be everywhere doing the work. He was quite frustrated yday by our fielding and bowling efforts. I still give him 7 of 10. He loses 3 points for just being unsuccessful.

Chandu... one more point... stupidest of all was Dhoni once stumped broad and didn't even appeal.. Replays showed that his leg was above the ground when bells were dislodged... Or at least it was worth appealing. It was excellent take by dhoni. As he misses so many of them, y'day he picked many difficult ones from Chawla as he was sporadically wayward at times throwing wides etc.
Oh no!! This is shocking!! How can Dhoni be so dumb??:confused_smile: But I read read somewhere that he missed one stumping too, of Bopara?
IMHO, Dravid did best to pick those 7 wkts in the first place. With Aggy left to bowl only 1 over and RP wasn't that impressive with the bowl, he wanted to break the partnership with spinners on both the end. And they bowled some splendid deliveries. Even got one LBW which umpire denied out right. There were total of 12 incidences of misfield, 4 of them resulted in 4 runs. 3 resulted in 2 runs for 1, 3 over throws giving away extra run each and 2 occasions where catches were dropped. .
Thanks for this detail. I was looking for this sort of stuff. Who were the main culprits here?
And trust me Dravid cannot be everywhere doing the work. He was quite frustrated yday by our fielding and bowling efforts. I still give him 7 of 10. He loses 3 points for just being unsuccessful
And what about the allegation that Dravid didn't bring his seamers earlier to get the break-through, especially when RPS has few overs to bowl? How did the seamers bowl? What about the body language of the players, when they had to defend such a low total? Did they go flat after the 7 wickets fell? How was the effort from everyone in the field?

Oh no!! This is shocking!! How can Dhoni be so dumb??:confused_smile: But I read read somewhere that he missed one stumping too, of Bopara? Thanks for this detail. I was looking for this sort of stuff. Who were the main culprits here? And what about the allegation that Dravid didn't bring his seamers earlier to get the break-through, especially when RPS has few overs to bowl? How did the seamers bowl? What about the body language of the players, when they had to defend such a low total? Did they go flat after the 7 wickets fell? How was the effort from everyone in the field?
Miss Chandan. Each one of us on the forum are captain and we all have opinions. which is fine. But the reality is RSD who stays our captain for entire this year. No sign of anyone even coming close to him to take that position. So allegation though not baseless, lack some factual basis. They were mere based on speculation. Everyone have seen how spinners have bowled yesterday. read some commentaries from CI. 25.4 Powar to Bopara, no run, lovely delivery. Well-flighted, drifted away in the air, lands outside the off stump and turns in sharply, Bopara is sucked into a forward prod and is beaten by the spin. The ball goes between the bat and pad gap to Dhoni 25.5 Powar to Bopara, no run, beaten again. This time by the straighter one. Lovely exhibition of offspin bowling here from Powar. This one lands outside the off stump, Bopara shapes to off drive and is beaten as the ball goes straight on. 27.4 Powar to Bopara, no run, lands full and on the leg and middle stump line, Bopara shapes to sweep, misses and the ball just misses the leg stump 32.5 Piyush Chawla to Broad, no run, fuller, outside off stump and Broad is struck on the pad, outside the off stump 33.6 Powar to Broad, no run, quicker, on the middle and leg, goes straight on, beats the intended forward defensive stroke, strikes the pad and bobs away to Karthik at short-leg. 35.4 Powar to Broad, 1 run, on the middle and off, Broad presses forward in defense and gets a inside-edge to square leg 39.6 Piyush Chawla to Broad, no run, fullish, on the middle, turns in, Broad shapes to sweep, misses and is struck on the pad. They appeal for lbw but it is turned down. Hawk eye suggests it would have hit the leg stump. In between, ZK bowled 2 overs and given away 14 runs while avg spinners were giving away were 3.7 runs P.O. Who would you bowl with? After Zaheer wasn't successful, RSD didn't want to try RPS cuz he thot, ZK is his best option, ahead of RPS. Aggy we all know how expensive he was left with only 1 over. He wanted to use RPS and Aggy after this wkt falls which unfortunately didnot happen. I think it is long enough explanation. Cheers.. it was a good defeat. As Shwetabh said somewhere that it was lot better performance than the other 2 defeats. I am happy with that too.
Miss Chandan. Each one of us on the forum are captain and we all have opinions. which is fine. But the reality is RSD who stays our captain for entire this year. No sign of anyone even coming close to him to take that position. So allegation though not baseless, lack some factual basis. They were mere based on speculation. Everyone have seen how spinners have bowled yesterday. In between, ZK bowled 2 overs and given away 14 runs while avg spinners were giving away were 3.7 runs P.O. Who would you bowl with? After Zaheer wasn't successful, RSD didn't want to try RPS cuz he thot, ZK is his best option, ahead of RPS. Aggy we all know how expensive he was left with only 1 over. He wanted to use RPS and Aggy after this wkt falls which unfortunately didnot happen. I think it is long enough explanation. Cheers.. it was a good defeat. As Shwetabh said somewhere that it was lot better performance than the other 2 defeats. I am happy with that too.
Thanks for the explanation, dial_100.:regular_smile: So according to you, India could not have done better than they did apart from fielding better? If that is the case then, credit must be given to the two new kids on the block.

i don't agree with dial 100 here.. I was there at the match and it was evident to see the intensity go down after the 7th wicket fell. Zaheer khan was brought on but a bit too late.. Both batsmen had started looking fairly comfortable against chawla at least.. And wats the point of giving yuvi a bowl when u have RP who was both consistent and economical.. I am positive we missed a trick in the middle overs and the RD shud take responsibility 4 it