C'mon no more bashing today, let's enjoy the victory

Gentlemen: I am not asking for Ganguly to be dropped now - I am as cognizant, if not more, that potential replacements could be worse. All I am saying is that he is still playing 20th century cricket - while his peers such as SRT and RD have moved on.
when one partner is going crash boom bang....other one should be holding on to his wicket while scoring runs......that is what he did.....old school.......don't you know old is gold?
Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St overall 86 2338 131 30.76 6 10 0 - - 0 39 0 300 11079 183 41.49 22 70 99 5/16 37.15 2 100 0 There is abs no comparison here.
I am not talking about overll all Stats. Obviously Ganguly was one of the top ODI players in the world when he partnered with Sachin in the 90's . We are talking after WC 2003 when Laxman batted well in No 3 spot against Australia and Pakistan . He was dropped after averaging 40 ish and having a S/R of around 80 playing at No 3 and rightly so. The fact is Ganguly of 2007 does not fit in the scheme of next WC , he is a slower mover , bad fielder and hardly an all rounder which would have bolstered his chance in the squad. I would rather an youngster like Uttappa or Gambhir given extended chance in lieu of his spot in the ODI squad.
Laxman is an almost usless ODI player. I am not able to recollect 3 innings of his which lead to Indian victories. And is that post about Ganguly Vs Laxman or the merit of Ganguly in the ODI team ? I am a bit confused.
Merit of Ganguly in the ODI team and the double standards of some posters here who wanted Laxman dropped inspite of the fact that he averaged 49 in 2003/2004 at No 3 . Keep in mind he played only 16 ODI in 2004 and 1 ODI in 2005 after averaging 49 at around 86 S/R batting at No 3. I am not saying Laxman should be in the squad , I am saying Ganguly of now is as useless as Laxman . In fact bring back Laxman at No 3 , I have a feeling we would have had the same results what is being achieved now. Both can't accelerate , inflexible in batting order , weak arms , poor movers , poor runners. Anyways , I am signing out now , have a good one.
Merit of Ganguly in the ODI team and the double standards of some posters here who wanted Laxman dropped inspite of the fact that he averaged 49 in 2003/2004 at No 3 . Keep in mind he played only 16 ODI in 2004 and 1 ODI in 2005. I am not saying Laxman should be in the squad ' date=' I am saying Ganguly of now is as useless as Laxman . In fact bring back Laxman at No 3 , I have a feeling we would have had the same results what is being achieved now. Both can't accelerate , inflexible in batting order , weak arms , poor movers , poor runners.[/quote'] No way KR. Ganguly has top scored amongst all Indian batsman in the last 8 months of ODI cricket. Laxman is totally incapable of such a performance. And still , pound for pound Ganguly is a better one day batsman than laxman. He can atleast go over the top , hit the odd big ones. Laxman has no clue how to do that. Even at his peak powers , Laxman was never a permanent fixture in ODIs. The team knew he was more a liability than asset. And definately Ganguly is not as Useless as you make him out to be. We have had some really intense discussion on this before. You might want to read some of those threads before coming to conclusions.
good over all win' date=' batsman got runs bowlers took wickets when they were needed, if only we had held our catches it would have been a bigger win. no complaints today. lets keep it going for the next two games.[/quote'] Atleast we looked more competitive in the last 2 matches. In matches 1 and 3 , we were outplayed comfortably. There is still hope left. And with a bit of luck , Flintoff/Tremlett dont play again.
Atleast we looked more competitive in the last 2 matches. In matches 1 and 3 , we were outplayed comfortably. There is still hope left. And with a bit of luck , Flintoff/Tremlett dont play again.
on the contrary i would say England are the ones who are looking competitive in this series :D
on the contrary i would say England are the ones who are looking competitive in this series :D
That should probably be re-phrased as - On the contrary i would say England are the ones who are looking the better one day team in this series. Crucial moments that have probably already decided who is going to win this series. Match 3 - India 140 odd in 30 overs chasing 280. Good partnership between Rahul and Ganguly. Dravid gets out when looking very fluent Match 4 - Broad-Bopara Partnership.

Drop Ganguly Drop Ganguly Drop Ganguly Drop Ganguly Drop Ganguly :cantstop: There I said it. Is everyone happy? People are forgetting that we need big opening stand & SRG/SRT are giving it to us. Both can't go on a scoring spree - one has to play an achor's role. SRG has adapted to that role very well and we have a stable opening partneship. SO do we want 45/1 (after 5 overs with Motu opening) for 101/1 (after 17 overs)? Motu puts pressure on the rest of the team to score once he is out. Oh! BTW Why didn't Dravid let Ganguly continue and bowl 10 overs when he was actually bowling better than the our so called fulltime bowlers - Agarker for instance? RD & logic do not seem to go together. Before anyone accuses me of being Ganguly bias let me say this as loudly as possible: DRAVID IS MY FAVOURITE PLAYER BUT HE IS A very very very mediocare captain (but that discussion is for another thread).

Sehwag will come back with vengeance. I hope the time away from cricket has taught the value of an India cap. He is one piece of stunning talent we cant afford to miss. Conveniently , Karthik seems to have hit a bad patch now. Cant see him doing anything more worthwhile in this series, keeping in mind he is probably relegated to no.6 for the last 2 matches. Gambhir has scratched his way into the team for the next odi , while Yuvraj is one of the few reasons why we are still alive in this series.

Its so strange that people are labeling an Indian captain with the best test matches away record, and one of the highest winning percentage in ODIs as a bad captain. Dravid should also start practicing twirling his shirt on the lords balcony. As Dravid himself said - " He would be disappointed himself if he were sitting on the couch in his home and watching some of India's performances"

Its so strange that people are labeling an Indian captain with the best test matches away record, and one of the highest winning percentage in ODIs as a bad captain. Dravid should also start practicing twirling his shirt on the lords balcony. As Dravid himself said - " He would be disappointed himself if he were sitting on the couch in his home and watching some of India's performances"
All I am saynig Sriram is that I would rather have the wall back for the test and the new Dravid for the ODI. Leave the captaincy lark to some other dude. That's all. He definitely is a piss-poor captain. In life some people are not meant to be a captain and he is one of them. He is just a great great player & we are losing him to the poor captaincy.
All I am saynig Sriram is that I would rather have the wall back for the test and the new Dravid for the ODI. Leave the captaincy lark to some other dude. That's all. He definitely is a piss-poor captain. In life some people are not meant to be a captain and he is one of them. He is just a great great player & we are losing him to the poor captaincy.
But Dooks , surely you must have heard the saying - " The proof of the pudding is in the eating". Why complain the chef ( Dravid) is bad , when the pudding( results) have come out better compared to the previous chefs ? Dravid is undemonstrative. That doesnt mean he is not authoritative.
But Dooks , surely you must have heard the saying - " The proof of the pudding is in the eating". Why complain the chef ( Dravid) is bad , when the pudding( results) have come out better compared to the previous chefs ? Dravid is undemonstrative. That doesnt mean he is not authoritative.
If that's what you are saying then what was wrong with the previous chef? He may have gone worse in his batting but the team was doing OK - I think (my memory is bit hazy). I am not saying I want the previous chef - he had his time. I just want the wall back. It's just that it is not much fun watching Indian cricket at the moment.
If that's what you are saying then what was wrong with the previous chef? He may have gone worse in his batting but the team was doing OK - I think (my memory is bit hazy). I am not saying I want the previous chef - he had his time. I just want the wall back. It's just that it is not much fun watching Indian cricket at the moment.
Mate , we started performing VERY poorly towards the latter stages of Ganguly's captaincy. The final nail in the coffin was the home series defeat against the Aussies. And sorry to say this , but you will never see Dravid in his glory days form of 2002-2005. That was his purple patch . Its now over. Dravid is still among the best batsman in this world , but one cant expect him to rattle off runs in the manner he did then. He is just too old , lost that zip etc. Its like Sachin after 2001. He is not the player he was before then.
Mate , we started performing VERY poorly towards the latter stages of Ganguly's captaincy. The final nail in the coffin was the home series defeat against the Aussies. And sorry to say this , but you will never see Dravid in his glory days form of 2002-2005. That was his purple patch . Its now over. Dravid is still among the best batsman in this world , but one cant expect him to rattle off runs in the manner he did then. He is just too old , lost that zip etc. Its like Sachin after 2001. He is not the player he was before then.
TRUE. I agree that Dravid's purple patch may be over but then should we not treat the the two 'chefs' in the same light? I think it applies here that Dravid has been in a 'bad' form since he took over the captaincy. I would suggest that whatever time Dravid has left in the game should be made best use of & that is batting. He is certainly coming way second in the captaincy race.