Litti-chokha now likely to be available on running trains

Guest dada_rocks

It must be eaten with generous dose of melted deshi ghee of course after breaking litti open..ummmmmmmmm
:dance::dance::dance: Make sure the ghee falls right in the crack. Ahhhh. In some ways litti-choka has similarities with that Marwari dish daal-baati. I used to love daal-baati but boy are they mother freaking heavy!!! If in litti we use some ghee, daal-bati is dipped in ghee.... Have a couple of daal-baati and then you shall go to sleep within the hour. See what you have done to me? Started a food thread early in the day :cry_smile:

Guest dada_rocks
Kamat's is a pretty formidable chain of restaurant. They are more global than local so I am not sure if I am going to use that as a benchmark of an average South Indian restaurant. On the other hand the restaurants that I am talking about in North India are the roadside thellawallahs, forget the half-decent ones. There is also the little thing to note that cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad will obviously have a cosmopolitan bend(specially in Karnataka). However if you go further down, take Trivandrum and Calicut for instance, you would be hard pressed to see North Indian food in restaurants. We had to figure out a North Indian restaurant in Trivandrum(while I was undergoing training) and had to travel a fair distance to get Northie food when we desired. Let me also say that there used to be a chain of shops(owned by Government of India I guess) called ICH - India Coffee House, in most major towns. This is one place where you can get food from all parts of the country(broadly), not sure if they exist today. xxx
If u like those little islands of pan-india then do visit Delhi Haat u will love it:two_thumbs_up:

Guest dada_rocks
:dance::dance::dance: Make sure the ghee falls right in the crack. Ahhhh. In some ways litti-choka has similarities with that Marwari dish daal-baati. I used to love daal-baati but boy are they mother freaking heavy!!! If in litti we use some ghee, daal-bati is dipped in ghee.... Have a couple of daal-baati and then you shall go to sleep within the hour. See what you have done to me? Started a food thread early in the day :cry_smile:
maine soncha main logon ko dukhi to karta hi hun aksar kabhi kabhar sukh bhi de dun :haha: Ab marwari word sun ke hamko bhagwaan bhojanlaya yaad aa gaya muzaffarpur ka..... Maarwari basas in general are top-notch but this one was kohinoor among them.....

BTW I am thankful to south india for DOSA.. whenever I have to fix my wife's mood all it takes is Dosa order from nearby restaurant everything else falls in place
Now see here you go!! Two Biharis, one from middle size town(Gaya) and other from a even smaller size town(village as DR puts it), both have their Mom's favorite dish as idli and dosa. And this is not because our Moms(atleast my mom) travlled a lot. It is basically because idli-dosa are a popular dish even in the remotest area of Bihar, I am sure thats true for other North Indian states too. xxx

Ab marwari word sun ke hamko bhagwaan bhojanlaya yaad aa gaya muzaffarpur ka..... Maarwari basas in general are top-notch but this one was kohinoor among them.....
Marwari basaas to khatam ho gaya Bhau :cry_smile::cry_smile: That was one of the culture citadel that crashed right infront of our eyes. To those who may not be aware, Marwaris were the first business entreprenuer in India. Hailing from a small town in Marwar they travelled all over India and most of Indian bigwigs in 19th/20th century were Marwaris. Heck there was this Hindi proverb - Jehan na pahunch baligaadi wehan pahunche marwaari. Most towns, even little towns, had a Marwari eating place which was called Marwari baasa. Here you would get pure vegetarian food cooked right infront of you. Pure shudh khaana. Plus it was very economical too. Sasta, swaadisht aur swasth. I have eaten in Marwari baasas in freaking so many towns, from Gaya to Araria. Ab to more or less band ho gaya guru. McD's took over India. :cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile:

Guest dada_rocks
Now see here you go!! Two Biharis, one from middle size town(Gaya) and other from a even smaller size town(village as DR puts it), both have their Mom's favorite dish as idli and dosa. And this is not because our Moms(atleast my mom) travlled a lot. It is basically because idli-dosa are a popular dish even in the remotest area of Bihar, I am sure thats true for other North Indian states too. xxx
Apna smaller size home-town to village se 8 km door hai.. When I say village I mean village no electricity no paved-road no nothing.. even there Dosa-sambhar was instant hit.... :thumbs_up:

Guest dada_rocks
Marwari basaas to khatam ho gaya Bhau :cry_smile::cry_smile: That was one of the culture citadel that crashed right infront of our eyes. To those who may not be aware, Marwaris were the first business entreprenuer in India. Hailing from a small town in Marwar they travelled all over India and most of Indian bigwigs in 19th/20th century were Marwaris. Heck there was this Hindi proverb - Jehan na pahunch baligaadi wehan pahunche marwaari. Most towns, even little towns, had a Marwari eating place which was called Marwari baasa. Here you would get pure vegetarian food cooked right infront of you. Pure shudh khaana. Plus it was very economical too. Sasta, swaadisht aur swasth. I have eaten in Marwari baasas in freaking so many towns, from Gaya to Araria. Ab to more or less band ho gaya guru. McD's took over India. :cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile:
Abhi bhi hai, khojana parta hai waise pahle ki tarah ubiquitous nahin raha.... Varanasi/Muzaffarpur/Sitamarhi in jagahon ka to mujhe address abhi tak yaad hai marwari basa ka.. Han ab burger khane lage hain log no doubt.. .. ..

BTW I am thankful to south india for DOSA.. whenever I have to fix my wife's mood all it takes is Dosa order from nearby restaurant everything else falls in place..:cantstop:
Yes the DOSA is the king of south indian cuisine. I dont know how anyone could not like it. The only times I ever get indian takout, i mainly buy masala dosas.

For DOSA to be good...it requires Sambhar to be perfect...and that tywo types of chatni...with coconut and onion.. its the sambhar and chatni...which makes IDli or Dosa taste devine,.... many a times ....in local shops...sambhar and chatni is so third class,..that i just simply eat Dosa..and come out.... There is Karnatka Kendra in Moti bagh area of Delhi....it serves very good southern indian dishes... and its Sambhar and rasam...are always...almost perfect...

My experiences are limited to Bangalore, Mysore and CHennai. I found North Indian dishes available in hotels from the late 80s. Now, they sell like hot cakes, much more than south Indian ones. Eveytime I go, my folks are eager to order the latest craze - Kaju Masala was it the last time. Gobi Manchurian is ever so popular..available even on roadside dhabba stalls. Kerala is still far away from mainstream India, but I bet most of Karnataka, TN, AP have north Indian dishes readily available. But if you are fans of idli-dosa, why would you want to seek out badly made north Indian dishes in south India, instead the idli-dosa available in south India are so vastly superior than any idli-dosa ever made in North India. I once had idli in Delhi... was horrible. So, In Delhi it is natural that one should order north Indian dishes. Mumbai is the best restaurant city in the world, I think. Beats even Bangalore. You get all kinds of cuisine, if you seek out. Even mediterranean .

My experiences are limited to Bangalore, Mysore and CHennai. I found North Indian dishes available in hotels from the late 80s. Now, they sell like hot cakes, much more than south Indian ones. Eveytime I go, my folks are eager to order the latest craze - Kaju Masala was it the last time. Gobi Manchurian is ever so popular..available even on roadside dhabba stalls. Kerala is still far away from mainstream India, but I bet most of Karnataka, TN, AP have north Indian dishes readily available. But if you are fans of idli-dosa, why would you want to seek out badly made north Indian dishes in south India, instead the idli-dosa available in south India are so vastly superior than any idli-dosa ever made in North India. I once had idli in Delhi... was horrible. So, In Delhi it is natural that one should order north Indian dishes. Mumbai is the best restaurant city in the world, I think. Beats even Bangalore. You get all kinds of cuisine, if you seek out. Even mediterranean .
Spot On . I was amazed at the number of Punjabi Dabbas that have crept in the Bangalore Mysore road now. And , boy they serve delicious food.

In which god-forsaken land do you live in' date=' where you don't get idli/dosa?[/quote'] Am in a univ town, which has a punjabi-run Indian restaurant. Surely no dosas/idlis there. The nearest city is 80 miles away and i cant possibly go there everytime i want to have a dosa.. :D

Here you go for preparation of litti. 1 cup sattu ( made by grinding roasted dalia or black chana) 1 lemon or 4 spoons of lemon juice 3 to 4 green chillies 1 onion 3 cloves of garlic 10 pcs of whole black pepper or 1/2 spoon of ground 1/4 spoon of kalonji 4 scoops of wheat flour Steps 1. Cut and chop in very small pieces the onion, garlic, and green chillies. 2. In a bowl, mix the sattu, the onion, garlic, chillies, kalonji and lemon juice. Put salt to taste. Mix with incremental amount of water, till it becomes like a fluffy and separable mixture. Sample some to make sure it tastes good to your taste. 2. Make the dough out of wheat flour like you make it for roti or stuffed paratha. Put little oil in the dough to make it soft. Make 10 separate pieces of dough balls. 3. Flatten on your palm one ball and shape it like a thick bowl. Fill the bowl with the sattu mixture. Close the bowl with the itself and make it round or whatever shape it finally gets into. There are two ways to cook. 1. Deep fry several suuffed lilli balls at a time on medium heat. Once they turn light brown and somewhat showing signs of cracks, take them out. 2. You can bake it in oven at 375 F for about half an hour. You may have to oil it once a while so that it does not become too dry. After they are done, you could put some oil or margarine on the balls to make them mostened. It is usually eaten with Alu bharta, Baigan Bharta, Youghert and Papad xxx PS: All the Biharis can look at the pic and mutter - Haath ko aaya muhn na lagaa :tounge_smile: