Mhd Asif

Rajiv

He is a convicted drug cheat' date=' who escaped on a technicality. Greatness doesn't even come into it.[/quote'] You yourself say escaped, so whats the point of even bringing it up? As for the drug aspect I hardly see it as relevant in today's game. He bowled a brilliant spell in a format of game that is heavily tilted in favour of batsman. Lets give the bowler props where its due. Plus he said he would get Sehwag out and he did. Full marks on that level. xxx
he said that before the game?
Talking to ‘The News’ on Wednesday Asif said he wanted to keep Sehwag under pressure the same way he had been doing in the past. “I know his weaknesses very well and I want to exploit them yet again,†Asif said. It was Asif who removed Sehwag on no less than six times previously in limited-over competitions. His rising delivery directed towards off-stump has always troubled Sehwag in the past. “When you are playing Twenty20 cricket, you play with a more attacking mind. Sehwag would definitely do that and I want to exploit that weakness of his,†Asif revealed. Asif said he his confidence that he would have the Indian opener during his opening spell today. “If luck goes to my favour, I know I can have his wicket in the very first spell of mine,†he expressed. http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=72145

Asif has top bowling skills but he can't be taken seriously ever simply because he is tainted. If he were punished for the drug offence I would respect his abilities considering he has served time but by using him in tourneys that didn't quite require dope tests and not using him that required tests shows the scant respect they have for the rest of the sporting world.

Because it's a criminal act in any sporting parlance, and there's no redemption, particularly when you have not done your time for it. It doesn't matter what he bowls, it's irrelevant because he cheated. He doesn't belong, just as Ben Johnson and Justin Gatlin don't belong. That's the point.

Because it's a criminal act in any sporting parlance, and there's no redemption, particularly when you have not done your time for it. It doesn't matter what he bowls, it's irrelevant because he cheated. He doesn't belong, just as Ben Johnson and Justin Gatlin don't belong. That's the point.
No thats not the point. The comparison to Ben Johnson and Justin Gatlin is incorrect. The two are sprinters who need extremely short burst of speed. Steroid using is obviously gonna help them lose fat and gain muscle. The only way steroid is going to help a fast bowler is by allowing him to bowl fast for an extended period of time. This is of no consequence in a 20-20 match. Not to mention the fact that steroids would hardly get advantge of the kind Asif generates- bounce, line & length with swing. Plus like I said the way he has destroyed Sehwag reminds me of way Akram dismantled Srikkanth. The only criticism you can say Dhondy is that he used a banned substance, and I say to use your word it is a "technicality" else please show me how steroid/drug can help in 20-20?? Specially to a bowler who bowls at 80 mph? xxxx

He used it to aid his recovery from an injury, Lurker. I am sorry, if you can't see that it violates the spirit of the game itself, then obviously this debate has no leg to stand on. I have proven in articles written on this board, that he did it deliberately and to gain an unfair advantage. Whether he has actually gained an advantage through that act of cheating in an inconsequential 20-20 game is irrelevant. He is a just a cheat, plain and simple. His skills are therefore irrelevant.

Talking to ‘The News’ on Wednesday Asif said he wanted to keep Sehwag under pressure the same way he had been doing in the past. “I know his weaknesses very well and I want to exploit them yet again' date=†Asif said. It was Asif who removed Sehwag on no less than six times previously in limited-over competitions. His rising delivery directed towards off-stump has always troubled Sehwag in the past. “When you are playing Twenty20 cricket, you play with a more attacking mind. Sehwag would definitely do that and I want to exploit that weakness of his,†Asif revealed. Asif said he his confidence that he would have the Indian opener during his opening spell today. “If luck goes to my favour, I know I can have his wicket in the very first spell of mine,†he expressed. http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=72145
Lets just say.... Sehwag is no Sachin :haha:
I am sorry, if you can't see that it violates the spirit of the game itself, then obviously this debate has no leg to stand on. I have proven in articles written on this board, that he did it deliberately and to gain an unfair advantage.
I say 20/20 itself violates the spirit of the game Dhondy. I mean what kind of a cricket game is this where there is little on offer for bowler anyway? But that is besides the point of the argument here so I would not pursue it. Coming to Asif now I find it rather strange to hear you mention that he used a substance to aid his recovery. Would I have issue with that? No. Why should I? Someone is injured, the thing he should do is to recover. Did he cheat ON the field?? NO. So why should I really be concerned with what drug/medication he did to recover fast? I would have issues if drugs/steroids would help a cricketer just like it helps a Gatlin, a Barry Bond etc, but I am not convinved if it has/had any role to play in Asif's success. xxx
Sehwag is not the only batsman he has dominated! Most of you would remember his battle against KP where KP had no clue on how to face this guy. Here is an example of what he is capable of nDzECyMIjtc&mode=related&search=
Good decision by Shoaib Malik not to use for bowl out today after all. He just keeps missing the stumps !:D