Don't get carried away, Dhoni tells teammates

DesiChap

Johannesburg, September 25:- Sab kuch normal rakhne ka (keep everything normal) -- skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni told his ecstatic teammates as they savoured their World Cup triumph over Pakistan. "Just live in the present, keep your feet on the ground, enjoy your success but don't get carried away by success," he told them the morning after the team lifted the Twenty20 trophy. Dhoni's advice is in keeping with his reputation of being calm and cool which he has earned within days of being anointed India's ODI captain. Commentators have marvelled at his composure under pressure. After humbling Pakistan, the Indian players had celebrations at the ground and then in the dressing room followed by a team dinner. Dhoni as well as Sreesanth retired early and slept well. But other players broke into groups and partied all night. Many could not sleep because they were thinking about the final. http://2020.expressindia.com/story.php?id=92197

After humbling Pakistan, the Indian players had celebrations at the ground and then in the dressing room followed by a team dinner. Dhoni as well as Sreesanth retired early and slept well. But other players broke into groups and partied all night. Many could not sleep because they were thinking about the final. http://2020.expressindia.com/story.php?id=92197
Just who the hell was dancing then? :regular_smile:
I wonder what kind of team atmosphere it would be ' date=' with Sachin, Dravid , Ganguly and now Dhoni in the same team. 3 former captains and a new young captain. Makes me feel uncomfortable.[/quote'] Makes you feel uncomfortable? Are you a former captain too? :hysterical:
I wonder what kind of team atmosphere it would be ' date=' with Sachin, Dravid , Ganguly and now Dhoni in the same team. 3 former captains and a new young captain. Makes me feel uncomfortable.[/quote'] who cares for their comfort?...Sachin and Dravid shouldn't have problems as they relinquished captaincy voluntarily...Dada not so sure what his plans are:D
Makes you feel uncomfortable? Are you a former captain too? :hysterical:
Yes i am a "farmer" kaptaan ! Time for Ganguly to hang his boots from ODIs i would say. He has made his point, got his respect/dignity back. He has to leave the way for youngsters now. He knows that too. Dont be surprised if he announces his retirement from ODIs after the Aussies series.
I wonder what kind of team atmosphere it would be ' date=' with Sachin, Dravid , Ganguly and now Dhoni in the same team. 3 former captains and a new young captain. Makes me feel uncomfortable.[/quote'] Look at it this way. How did you feel when you went camping with friends your age? Versus. How did you feel when you went camping with friends your age and a few elders whom you respect. The fun factor will simply vanish. Most Indian cricketers, if not all, idolize Sachin and Dravid to a fault. It would be unrealistic to expect them to forget that and become buddies all of a sudden. Then of course there is also the thought of how Sachin/Dravid and Gangs will react to a largely young lot. Put yourself in Sachin's shoes and imagine him surrounded by foul-mouth like Yuvraj saying Pan chor on National television, joined by Bhajji, Sehwag and Dhoni. Curtains on geriatric brigade, and pull it fast. xxx

Lurks you seem to have gotten a bit carried away with " Youth guys Aye Aye ! Oldies Bye Bye! " Its not that simple Lurks. Dont allow a single triumph to obscure your views on what is the perfect team for a given challenge. Trust me , we still need the likes of Sachin/Dravid in ODIs for another 12-15 months i would say.

Dhoni: We should not get carried away

Johannesburg: The morning after they lifted the inaugural ICC World Twenty20, skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni told his ecstatic teammates that they should not get carried away by success. “Sab kuch normal rakhne ka (keep everything normal),” said Dhoni as they savoured their World Cup triumph over Pakistan. “Just live in the present, keep your feet on the ground, enjoy your success but don’t get carried away by success,” he said on Tuesday. Attributing their victory to teamwork, Dhoni said: “Whatever is destined to happen will happen. But I believe, unless your do the required hard work you don’t achieve it. “In this competition, we played a few games that went down to the wire. But everyone who has done well in those crunch games, when it mattered, will relish his performance for the team cause,” Dhoni said. “It’s not just my own destiny, it was the destiny of the whole team.” “We had the determination and will to do well because we didn’t do well in the last World Cup. Besides, we enjoyed this format of the game. And since no one expected us to do well, there was no pressure. The team showed the right attitude and gave more than 100 per cent,” the wicketkeeper-batsman said. “We enjoyed our cricket and we enjoyed each other’s performance. If I get a fifty, I am bound to enjoy it. But if my knock can get a smile on the faces of other players in the side, it means a lot. That’s what the team wants and that’s what my team did,” Dhoni said. “It was a great team effort. There’s no batsmen or bowler who hasn’t done well in the tournament. And the fielding was top class. Yuvi was brilliant, RP too bowled brilliantly, Harbhajan too bowled well, everybody was great. Whoever was given the responsibility did it to the best of his ability to the needs of the side,” the skipper said. Asked to compare his team’s triumph to India’s World Cup victory in 1983, Dhoni said he would rather live in the present. “I was just two years old when India won the World Cup in 1983, so, obviously, I didn’t see it and I have no idea how big cricket was then. “But as I said before, I live in the present and I think my team and my support staff was very involved and very focused,” he said. “We landed here after travelling for two-and-a-half months in Ireland and England, so it wasn’t easy. But the way the things were planned, it worked well for us. We always felt fresh because we didn’t get carried away by practising too hard before big games,” Dhoni said. “So it’s not fair to compare. Our victory in 1983 was very special and so was this triumph.” Asked whether he ever thought that India could lose the game after Misbah-ul Haq turned on the heat hitting those towering sixes, Dhoni said he was backing himself to get a wicket. “We knew they didn’t have too many wickets in hand. We knew if we could pick up a wicket or two things would change pretty quickly. In pressure games, on the big stage, how you handle pressure is very important. “I was backing myself on the fact that, as the overs go by, and the asking rate gets tougher, our chances would get better,” the Jharkhand cricketer said. “Harbhajan, despite being hit for three sixes, bowled well. Joginder bowled an excellent over under pressure in a crunch situation.” The Indian captain also praised Rohit Sharma’s effort in making those 30 crucial runs in the final overs that gave his team something to bowl at. “His runs were very important. It added to the total and that added to the confidence and to the morale. We were looking to get 140 and we got 157. Rohit really batted well in the chances he got in this tournament.” The captain attributed India’s slow progress in the last 10 overs to some excellent bowling by Pakistan pacers. “Pakistan bowled well, and their bowlers were up to the mark. In the last 10 overs they bowled lot of yorkers and that worked well for them.” Dhoni also acknowledged that his team was mentally strong on the big stage as compared to the opposition.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070926/asp/sports/story_8361787.asp

Lurks you seem to have gotten a bit carried away with " Youth guys Aye Aye ! Oldies Bye Bye! " Its not that simple Lurks. Dont allow a single triumph to obscure your views on what is the perfect team for a given challenge. Trust me , we still need the likes of Sachin/Dravid in ODIs for another 12-15 months i would say.
I knew that was coming but let me ask you, have I not been advocating Youth brigade much before we won in 20/20? Heck I was one of the few ones shouting even before South Africa and England. If anything it is you folks who have seen light now! And I dont buy this we need Sachin/Dravid theory. Australia survived Don's retirement, West Indies Sobers's, India Sunny and Kapil's..we will survive this one too, only come out better. xxx