What is the point of marriage ? Why does it exist ?

varun

It's a combination of things 1) Touch, Sensation and Sex: Yes - its a fact and if anyone denies it then they are lying. You need a person to cuddle with with, feel and offcourse sex is a natural requirement 2) Society - Especially Indian, everyone does and as part of life..you have to father somebody and its only suitable under the marriage umbrella 3) Solitude - You can enjoy your freedom as much as you want but then you can't be on the net all your life, you need that fight and argument to liven up your life. You need someone to know you as much as you know yourself, its like a guarantee card. Your spouse can assure or correct things which you normally have trouble accepting

IIRC I chatted with Varun once or twice on MSN or Yahoo, he accidentally wrote to me " kidda Kudiye " and I was like he's flirting with someone on chat. I used t bore him with the fact not to think about marriage et al so soon Wasn't she from UK or something Varun

IIRC I chatted with Varun once or twice on MSN or Yahoo, he accidentally wrote to me " kidda Kudiye " and I was like he's flirting with someone on chat. I used t bore him with the fact not to think about marriage et al so soon Wasn't she from UK or something Varun
Imitating the response Rajiv is going to get :D :finger:

Just to make sure you take the relationship seriously. It's easy to live together and break up but to be committed to the relation I guess needs a formal arrangement i.e marriage. It's fairly easier to leave the ones that you aren't married to at a drop of a hat but post marriage you will learn to get along pretty well despite differences.

What is the point of marriage ?
To simply give your relationship a rather meaningless veneer of authenticity. Meaningless, because it is not 'marriage' that builds your relationship but mutual understanding & love. Meaningless, because it is not 'marriage' that holds your relationship through troubled times but compassion & understanding ( apart from material needs, ie, artha). To simply mutually bask in one-another's declaration of 'vows towards each other' , in the naive beleif that words are cast in stone and cannot be broken later on. To simply try and feed one's insecurities by measuring an unquantifiable item ( love & understanding) by quantifiable barometers. Ie, ' he/she married me, he/she must love me more than when i was just girlfriend/boyfriend or is taking it really seriously now, he/she won't leave me now i think!'. To simply comply with senseless social dictum that sees a meaningless ritual as some sort of 'stamp of approval' for your love/dedication to each other. Marriage is really an irrelevant concept in reality. At best, its an excuse to blow away your lifetime's savings & throw a grand party that you'll be paying for the next 15 years. At worst, its nothing but pretentiousness of the highest order- putting some sort of meaning into something that is meaningless ( the ritual & act of marriage). What matters is if the couple loves each other and wants to be together. As long as that is in place, there should really be no need for validation through rituals or validation through some laughably warped concept of morality ( as if my love for him/her is any more meaningful after the ceremony than it was before. pffft). But to be honest, its not something i am dead-set against- to me it is a meaningless ritual that has very little relevance to my feelings or future with my partner. And i hope that when (or if) i find a partner i would like to spend all/most of my life with, that person would share the same view. But if he/she did not and that was their only shortcomming in my eyes, i'd happily play along to appease their sense of need for that meaningless ritual. The only practical reason i can see for marriage ( and again, it is of not empiric value but an arbitary quirk dictated by society) is if me/my partner were moving to a different nation and we still wanted to be together. At that point, taking a day to get this meaningless ritual over with does actually serve some practical purpose(ie, making it 9328493204832 times easier to get visa for your partner when they are married to you than otherwise).

Hah yes, old story that

I love how all young unmarried people (me included) think that their marriage will be different and that they won't have all those problems/fights etc. I dunno, I guess its a life experience no one should miss out on. Though only do it with someone you like and are sure likes you.