When Tendulkar flew in for a Single Match

Rajiv

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1998/OD_TOURNEYS/SAHARA/SCORECARDS/IND_PAK_SAHARA_ODI5_20SEP1998.html How things have changed over the years. Pakistan were leading 3-1 in the 5 Match Sahara Cup and the beloved Indian team were playing sans Tendulkar Sachin was forced to play in the commonwealth games after a hard push from the Indian Olympic Association, he was back from the novelty cricket match and he got a phone call from BCCI He didn;t even have 24 hours and played a breezy 77 but Pak were hot in the toronto chill and they eventually won 4-1. So that was 1998 and now 2007; 9 years passed by and now he is a team player, coz he was a one man show for all those years Why can't we see him as a regular player? a guys who mistimes, takes time to settle in, gets lucky and scores a 79. He has created that aura himself earlier but hey things change Nothing special, I remembered the day I heard he was going to Toronto to play P.S I actually chose to live in Toronto before so I could watch these Sahara cups, too bad for me they stopped the year I went :broken_heart:
Guest Hiten.
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1998/OD_TOURNEYS/SAHARA/SCORECARDS/IND_PAK_SAHARA_ODI5_20SEP1998.html How things have changed over the years. Pakistan were leading 3-1 in the 5 Match Sahara Cup and the beloved Indian team were playing sans Tendulkar Sachin was forced to play in the commonwealth games after a hard push from the Indian Olympic Association, he was back from the novelty cricket match and he got a phone call from BCCI He didn;t even have 24 hours and played a breezy 77 but Pak were hot in the toronto chill and they eventually won 4-1. So that was 1998 and now 2007; 9 years passed by and now he is a team player, coz he was a one man show for all those years Why can't we see him as a regular player? a guys who mistimes, takes time to settle in, gets lucky and scores a 79. He has created that aura himself earlier but hey things change Nothing special, I remembered the day I heard he was going to Toronto to play P.S I actually chose to live in Toronto before so I could watch these Sahara cups, too bad for me they stopped the year I went :broken_heart:
tell me about it. I was so excited to move to Toronto, i actually thought that this is the best chance to watch india-pak game live on ground (cuz it is IMPOSSIBLE to watch ind-pak play in mumbai), but the fags had to ruin the plan.... now im dying to watch india play against any country in toronto :(

Those were the days...Sachin at the peak of his powers, undoubtedly the best batsman in the world. Ganguly(in LOI) was not too far behind mind you. The two did make for a fearsome duo.

Why can't we see him as a regular player? a guys who mistimes, takes time to settle in, gets lucky and scores a 79. He has created that aura himself earlier but hey things change
Because you dont. Simple. SRT is past his best, something even you concede Rajeev. This whole method of guy who mistimes, settles down and scores 79 would be good if everyone was judged by the same method. And even if we let SRT play what for? For how many series? If he has to go within a year or so why not let the man go on a high. Have you checked his career graph at ICC ratings Rajeev? The last few years have been his worst, in both form of the game, of his career(except first couple of years). In Test cricket his rating is worst since 1993!! In LOI his rating is the worst since 1994! Why would you want a player whom you like so much to call it a day, or be forced to call it a day, when he is at his absolute worst? xxx
Those were the days...Sachin at the peak of his powers, undoubtedly the best batsman in the world. Ganguly(in LOI) was not too far behind mind you. The two did make for a fearsome duo. Because you dont. Simple. SRT is past his best, something even you concede Rajeev. This whole method of guy who mistimes, settles down and scores 79 would be good if everyone was judged by the same method. And even if we let SRT play what for? For how many series? If he has to go within a year or so why not let the man go on a high. Have you checked his career graph at ICC ratings Rajeev? The last few years have been his worst, in both form of the game, of his career(except first couple of years). In Test cricket his rating is worst since 1993!! In LOI his rating is the worst since 1994! Why would you want a player whom you like so much to call it a day, or be forced to call it a day, when he is at his absolute worst? xxx
Can you replace him though. I mean the guy had his share of injuries as well and I am really not sure if he can replace him at the top ( atleast for now ). More so, I think his presence also make a difference i.e, 50/50 and test, like an insurance card You can't just drop him man

As i have told a million times before , Sachin is a victim of his own high standards. If any other player comes up with performances like he has done , he will be feted with the most dramatic superlatives and adored like as if there isnt one like him. This guy has been scoring runs for nearly 2 decades now that it almost a culture shock to us if he fails for more than a couple of games together. EVERY dominant batsman of world cricket ( Ponting , Hayden , Kallis , Yousuf, Smith , Jayasuriya) have through periods where they couldnt put bat to ball , were dropped from the team. Sachin has been above all that. And take into factor his impeccable behavior in the public despite an almost FBI-isqe media scrutiny. This guy is a legend , every single cell of him. I quite cant still digest the prospect of Indian cricket without him. I better keep some friends around me to save from suicidal tendencies the day he retires.

SRT is past his best, something even you concede Rajeev. This whole method of guy who mistimes, settles down and scores 79 would be good if everyone was judged by the same method. And even if we let SRT play what for? For how many series? If he has to go within a year or so why not let the man go on a high.
Past his best ? What ios his best ? Its all relative Lurks. Find me two batsman in world cricket that have been as prolific as him in 2007.
Have you checked his career graph at ICC ratings Rajeev? The last few years have been his worst, in both form of the game, of his career(except first couple of years). In Test cricket his rating is worst since 1993!! In LOI his rating is the worst since 1994!xxx
Who gives a damn to ratings ! He was one main reason why we won the england series after 20 years.
Can you replace him though. I mean the guy had his share of injuries as well and I am really not sure if he can replace him at the top ( atleast for now ). More so, I think his presence also make a difference i.e, 50/50 and test, like an insurance card You can't just drop him man
Look Rajeev you just cant replace SRT. He has 25000 plus runs, 70 centuries or so. No one else has done it ever, so tell me how can you replace it? But if you keep playing him, as we are, he is doing nothing except bringing down his legacy piece by piece. Do you disgaree with the fact that SRT was the best batsman in the world once, today he is not even in top 10(in LOI or Test). This is how he has fallen. Why would you want him to fall further man? Plus how does it help in breeding youngsters? I say just like India came out with a SRT when Sunny retired similarly we would come out with another replacement for SRT. xxx
Nobody knows how those ratings are calculated ... I once asked them a few pointed questions .. All I got was PC bakwaas .... Nobody cares about those rankings either ...
What do you mean nobody cares? Just because you dont doesnt mean noone does. It is the official rating system of ICC. I can agree that it has its drawbacks but to dismiss as non-resultant is useless rant.
And as far as performances are concerned the man still keeps churning the runs ... what do you care how they are made ? Didnt you swear by the end result and nothing else ? As we speak SRT is THE Top run getter in ODI's for the current year .... and at a SR of 84 and a avg of 45 (Minnows exculded mind you )... whats your explanation for dropping him remember you only care about "Performance".
What do you mean by churning runs? You are sounding as if he is the number 1 rated batsman in the world today. Reality check he is not even in top 10. And by the way why is your criticism limited to ODI? Since you claim Test cricket is the real deal care to show how SRT has performed there? xxx
Past his best ? What ios his best ? Its all relative Lurks. Find me two batsman in world cricket that have been as prolific as him in 2007.
Hmmm I would be interested to know if you mean test cricket here? ANd LOI Haydos and Symonds are easily more damaging than SRT.
Who gives a damn to ratings ! He was one main reason why we won the england series after 20 years.
Okay just because you dont give a damn to ratings doesnt mean noone does. If you get some time do try to read those ratings. Try to figure out why Imran Khan is rated so highly in 1983 and why Richards inspite of 50 abouts average is feared more than a Miandad with 55 abouts. But thats your call. As for 20 year win in England I would put Zaheer and RP's contribution much ahead of him. xxx
As i have told a million times before , Sachin is a victim of his own high standards. If any other player comes up with performances like he has done , he will be feted with the most dramatic superlatives and adored like as if there isnt one like him. This guy has been scoring runs for nearly 2 decades now that it almost a culture shock to us if he fails for more than a couple of games together. EVERY dominant batsman of world cricket ( Ponting , Hayden , Kallis , Yousuf, Smith , Jayasuriya) have through periods where they couldnt put bat to ball , were dropped from the team. Sachin has been above all that. And take into factor his impeccable behavior in the public despite an almost FBI-isqe media scrutiny. This guy is a legend , every single cell of him. I quite cant still digest the prospect of Indian cricket without him. I better keep some friends around me to save from suicidal tendencies the day he retires.
Excellent post! Tendulkar's grace is matched only by his skill. A great player and a great role model.