Staying in US - H1B's

living

That was the reason I didnt move to UK at first Apo. My sister has lived there for 6-7 years now and I have visited the place a few times. Love it. Dont get me wrong there would be racism and all but it is indeed too overblown. Plus you get to watch cricket, soccer etc etc..Cant complain. And no money isnt something that drives me but it surely is a point to consider. By the way Australia is also a good option. xx
thats why my parents decided against sending my sister to UK

did u see the date of that news 07 November 2005 it dint increase for 2007. Its good if it is increasing this year
I am sure they have increased it. I heard about it even this year, sometime. And its just a matter of time before it goes to 1,95,000.

is it true that *bigger companies are more influential in getting H1B's or is it all a lottery system? one of friends got into Credit Suisse, didn't get his H1B so he's using up the remaining months on his OPT. He's not sure what's going to happen!!

I am sure they have increased it. I heard about it even this year, sometime. And its just a matter of time before it goes to 1,95,000.
Dont bank on it....the bill was shot down this year and it seems unlikely they would raise it to the 'dot-com' boom levels again. The current cap H1B cap is 65000 and been that for many years now. Though its difficult to have a generic answer to the question, I do feel its not worth all the misery you can get into at a time when things are looking so positive in India. Career wise India definitely looks a much better proposition.

Marirs, do you have any major financial liabilities (like enormous student loans for your studies in the US)? Then it might be worth staying back and trying to eek out a H1B/GC. If not, from a pure career point of view, there cant be a better place than India at this point. Just my 2 cents.

If you are a techie, US is heaven. Dont worry about the dollar value, immigration etc. These are short term factors. In the long term, if you are career oriented, need access to good educational institutions (for part time studies), want to make the big bucks, ride the booms in economy, enjoy a quality living, US is THE place. India has IT pockets which have progressed. But the backbone of the country is still the same. I spent 5 hours standing inline, obeying the orders of a "worth for nothing" peon just to get an official copy of my transcript from my alma mater and paid 1200 Rs as mandatory commissions to get a power of attorney done in a local registrar office, both of which would have been over in 5 mins in the US, with my dignity intact. Do NOT underestimate the "convenience factor" of a Western country. Dollar is down now. But it wont stay like this for too long. Five years from now, dollar will have recovered. Immigration situation has been like this for 10 years now. They will bring in some regulations once in a while, to reform the process. Overall i'd say, stick around & get your immigration done or atleast get a feel for the country before making a decision.

If you are a techie, US is heaven. Dont worry about the dollar value, immigration etc. These are short term factors. In the long term, if you are career oriented, need access to good educational institutions (for part time studies), want to make the big bucks, ride the booms in economy, enjoy a quality living, US is THE place. India has IT pockets which have progressed. But the backbone of the country is still the same. I spent 5 hours standing inline, obeying the orders of a "worth for nothing" peon just to get an official copy of my transcript from my alma mater and paid 1200 Rs as mandatory commissions to get a power of attorney done in a local registrar office, both of which would have been over in 5 mins in the US, with my dignity intact. Do NOT underestimate the "convenience factor" of a Western country. Dollar is down now. But it wont stay like this for too long. Five years from now, dollar will have recovered. Immigration situation has been like this for 10 years now. They will bring in some regulations once in a while, to reform the process. Overall i'd say, stick around & get your immigration done or atleast get a feel for the country before making a decision.
Well put

Dont bank on it....the bill was shot down this year and it seems unlikely they would raise it to the 'dot-com' boom levels again. The current cap H1B cap is 65000 and been that for many years now.
Almost EVERY single US corporation is asking for the US congress to increase the H1B levels to pre 9/11 numbers atleast. And some reports have shown that US faces a short-fall of tech workers and the only way to make up for this is by allowing more foreign workers in through working visas. I am pretty sure they have increased it 95,000 and it will increase further.
Though its difficult to have a generic answer to the question' date=' I do feel its not worth all the misery you can get into at a time when things are looking so positive in India. Career wise India definitely looks a much better proposition.[/quote'] India is developing , but the job market there is still very primitive and IT based. You definately dont get the same variety , both in terms of length and breadth , of jobs in India , as you do in western countries. Atleast not for another decade.
Marirs' date=' do you have any major financial liabilities (like enormous student loans for your studies in the US)? Then it might be worth staying back and trying to eek out a H1B/GC. If not, from a pure career point of view, there cant be a better place than India at this point. Just my 2 cents.[/quote'] Didnt come here to earn money/get GC dude. Came here to do MBA. Once that is done , wont be hanging around here for too long.

Looks like you've already made up your mind to leave!:D
Ofcourse. And the good thing is ,even among many of my friends who are still doing their masters , the popular opinion is , if we get a good opening in India, then they should definitely look to relocate there. In fact, i know one guy , who specifically wanted to get recruited in Cisco ( either Raleigh or San Jose) so that he can shift to their Bangalore office after 12-15 months of working here. And the great thing is , he got that job in Cisco too ! :two_thumbs_up:

Didnt come here to earn money/get GC dude. Came here to do MBA. Once that is done , wont be hanging around here for too long.
Good decision it is Sriram. Slowly but surely the gap between India and US is decreasing. And it is going both ways, India coming up and US going down. It is one thing for say a Gujrati(not racially profiling) coming to USA since a lot of his family is here, or a Punjabi who has his friends/family in Canada. But to just come on your own, change your life, make new friends, leave loved ones behind...is it worth it? Thats a question you need to ask. xxx

Ofcourse. And the good thing is ' date='even among many of my friends who are still doing their masters , the popular opinion is , if we get a good opening in India, then they should definitely look to relocate there. In fact, i know one guy , who specifically wanted to get recruited in Cisco ( either Raleigh or San Jose) so that he can shift to their Bangalore office after 12-15 months of working here. And the great thing is , he got that job in Cisco too ! :two_thumbs_up:[/quote']
Looks like you've already made up your mind to leave!:D
So, are u going to work in usa? or, are u leaving after graduating? i thought u were going to work.

Good decision it is Sriram. Slowly but surely the gap between India and US is decreasing. And it is going both ways, India coming up and US going down. It is one thing for say a Gujrati(not racially profiling) coming to USA since a lot of his family is here, or a Punjabi who has his friends/family in Canada. But to just come on your own, change your life, make new friends, leave loved ones behind...is it worth it? Thats a question you need to ask. xxx
Thats the interesting part Lurks. The "study abroad' culture has now been prevalent for so long that almost entire families are re-locating here or couples are beginning to have their child in USA itself. Almost every single friend of mine in the US have a sibling residing here too. So the next step would be make the parents come here too so that they can have the cake and eat it too.

So' date=' are u going to work in usa? or, are u leaving after graduating? i thought u were going to work.[/quote'] I will work for as long as it takes me to build my profile/bank balance to do an MBA degree in a top school , and once i am done with that , I shall get fck out of here.

I will work for as long as it takes me to build my profile/bank balance to do an MBA degree in a top school ' date=' and once i am done with that , I shall get fck out of here.[/quote'] Damn it Sriram, where do you get so much patience to study?? I barely managed 4 years in Engg and promised never to go back to college again...:creep:

Damn it Sriram, where do you get so much patience to study?? I barely managed 4 years in Engg and promised never to go back to college again...:creep:
Always wanted to do an MBA Lurks, always. And six years of engineering and the struggles that were associated with it has just made me more determined. :D MBA is like a passion for me , not a degree.