Staying in US - H1B's

living

Well I'm guessing there are quite a few guys from the US/Canada on here. Working in IT (yes I love stereo types :giggle:) Living in NJ/NY. ..... SO here's my question, I'm trying to decide if I should stay in the US after my BS or go back to Bombay. I will most probably work as a tech consultant or as a tech analyst hopefully in NY/NJ/CT/CA or someplace nice. Here's the deal I've been hearing lots of stuff about too few H1B's etc. so people are left stranded and can't stay with the firm for too long. I mean I want to keep my options open. The option of either India or US/Canada/UK. So I guess it would be nice if some of you guys could share any info you have on the topic. How hard is it to get a Green Card these days? how long 9-10years? Hows the pay and bonuses like :D Also what are your thoughts on IB analyst vs Tech Analyst - and Consulting vs Banking in general? Basically I'm feeling a bit insecure, and any info on these topics will be greatly appreciated! Cheers

Everyone has their own horror stories to tell. Believe I have plenty of those to share as well. But that will not help you make up your mind. My suggestion, keep your options open and make a weighed decision based on Cost Benifit analysis. If you plan to stay in the US, you will have to get a H-1, not easy to come by these days. You may have to stick with one firm that has sponsored you. If you decide to pursue your residency in the US, expect to pay upto $10,000.00 over a period of 8-9 years. All this while the increasing banter of local politics of employment of foreign workers. Look at India, as it is growing beyond comprehension. Salaries are good and benifits are comparable to any country. The attitude, sad to say, has not improved much. Lifestyle and quality of life factors should also be considered. There are other countries besides India and US. Try Canada, New Zealand, Australia Germany, Dubai(no residency ever) etc... Like I said, the options should be wieghed based on your personal preferences, cost of living, compensation received, quality of life, ease of legal issues and residency expediency. One thing you should not do....DONT COME UNDER ANY PRESSURE FROM FAMILY OR PEERS... Think slowly and act accordingly... best of luck man...

I'm actually from Dubai :D its just that the lifestyle in Dxb is BORING AS HELL. I mean its good if you're 50-60 but for young ppl nah. All ppl do is drink. I'm not a big fan, I want to play in a cricket league hit the gym with friends etc. I find that in the US is easier to find ppl with similar ideologies. I guess for me right now its more about ppl, and I'll want to give it a shot for a couple of months before deciding. As for consulting, it seems interesting I mean you at least have to think on the job. Some other stuff I've seen ppl do will KILL ME. I dunno I'm also thinking about grad school, I don't want to go back and then realize/want to study more. So much to think about.

When you graduate with BS, you will be put in the 65000 H1-B visas pool like everyone else. You must be knowing that this year more than 130,000 applications were received by USCIS on the first two days of the opening in April. So there was a lottery system. This year it wont be different. So keep in mind about this situation also. There are 20000 separate H1-Bs for graduates and people with higher degree

When you graduate with BS, you will be put in the 65000 H1-B visas pool like everyone else. You must be knowing that this year more than 130,000 applications were received by USCIS on the first two days of the opening in April. So there was a lottery system. This year it wont be different. So keep in mind about this situation also. There are 20000 separate H1-Bs for graduates and people with higher degree
Apo, they have increased the quota for H1-B under the general category. Soon , it will be increased to pre 9/11 levels, which was 1,95,000 , i am sure. Its now 95,000.

It probably depends on what you want and how capable you are. For example you mention Consulting and how interesting it is. I am not sure if you have ever done Consulting but it more often than not is baptism by fire. You are expected to deliver from day 1, and when I say you I mean YOU, not your organization. In other words you better be good at what you do. I am not sure of your credentials but be advised that Consulting is tough..at the same time very rewarding(monetarily). Coming to H1b to USA, long story short it is NOT worth it. Why? Well for one US Dollar is going wayyyyy down every day. In less than 5 years or so I have seen it go down from 49 Rs a USD to about 39 Rs per USD. Seems like it shall go down further(about 35 or so). In similar vein pound(UK) has gone up from 55 to 85-90 currently. Plus in UK you can watch/play cricket(no cricket in US unless you live in select areas), go out and have a good Indian restaurant within a few miles and stuff like that If you want my opinion I say go to UK. xxx

Everyone has their own horror stories to tell. Believe I have plenty of those to share as well. But that will not help you make up your mind. My suggestion, keep your options open and make a weighed decision based on Cost Benifit analysis. If you plan to stay in the US, you will have to get a H-1, not easy to come by these days. You may have to stick with one firm that has sponsored you. If you decide to pursue your residency in the US, expect to pay upto $10,000.00 over a period of 8-9 years. All this while the increasing banter of local politics of employment of foreign workers. Look at India, as it is growing beyond comprehension. Salaries are good and benifits are comparable to any country. The attitude, sad to say, has not improved much. Lifestyle and quality of life factors should also be considered. There are other countries besides India and US. Try Canada, New Zealand, Australia Germany, Dubai(no residency ever) etc... Like I said, the options should be wieghed based on your personal preferences, cost of living, compensation received, quality of life, ease of legal issues and residency expediency. One thing you should not do....DONT COME UNDER ANY PRESSURE FROM FAMILY OR PEERS... Think slowly and act accordingly... best of luck man...
Great advice! You must strongly consider Australia/New Zealand for IT-related jobs (am not in IT, but B-I-L made the move to NZ, and is happy there. His wife has a BCom from India with some experience, and found a job in a matter of months. Getting residency/citizenship is a breeze compared to the US. Lifestyle is comparable to the US).

yeah I searched on USCIS site but could not find it Lurker: UK has racial discrimination. Its not always about the money. Just my views
That was the reason I didnt move to UK at first Apo. My sister has lived there for 6-7 years now and I have visited the place a few times. Love it. Dont get me wrong there would be racism and all but it is indeed too overblown. Plus you get to watch cricket, soccer etc etc..Cant complain. And no money isnt something that drives me but it surely is a point to consider. By the way Australia is also a good option. xx