Bradman - Hype or Real

Guest BossBhai

Guest HariSampath

>>>NO ONE in the 75 yrs of Test cricket has made a Triple hundered IN INDIA .... and its common knowledge that we never possesed Best of the Best Strike bowlers as in a Marshall , Donald , Bishop , Amby class over those 75 yrs. Infact there have been a grand total of Just 4 scores above 250 IN India. Its very hard to rack up big scores in India .... even against just decent bowlers and by decent I mean bowlers around the 27-32 bowl avg . Its highly unlikely that Bradman would score a big double never mind a triple IN India. >>> I disagree with the logic of saying that Bradman would not have done it becos no one did. It is flawed logic because it is being applied to a player who had done everything that others had not done before and stll havent. I think we can close issue A :haha:

Let me add my bit about Indian fast bowling SF...mst people think it started with Kapil Dev' date=' but Mohammed Nissar and Amarsingh were seriously quick, and perhaps Nissar was perhaps Iindias fastest ever bowler till today. and when he played one of the fastest in the world[/quote'] Talking of Nissar Hari did you know that he migrated to Pakistan towards the end of his life and died there? Apparently noone in Pakistan knew about Nissar. Sometime back there was a Trophy in his honour in India and some scribe traced his son to Pakistan. It was a lovely read, will look it up if you'd like. Also Nissar and Amar Singh were best buddies. Amar Singh died very young and that is cited as the reason why Nissar only played 6 Tests, he just retired. If that is true that is a good sign of times, call me cynical but I don't see it happening today. xxx

By the way Nissar and Amar Singh opened for India in the first test we played..And bowled exceedingly well..A good read for those interested.

The bowling of Nissar, Amar Singh; Nayudu, and Khan was really good. Loose balls were very seldom seen, and all the bowlers came fast off the ground. Nissar was the most successful, but Amar Singh was probably the best. Nayudu is a clever bowler. Medium pace he flights the ball, can spin it from the off and sends down a faster delivery. All their bowlers bowl with a very free loose arm. Amar Singh had, to begin with, three slips, and three short legs. The attack was first-class and the batsmen never got on top of it, supported as it was by brilliant and very quick fielding - a delight to all. Navle was smart at the wicket, but he missed two or three chances, and might be even more effective if there were a little less flourish about his work.
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/298007.html

There is only one God of batting- Sir Donald Bradman. Then there is daylight ( holy ghost) and some distance behind him is the one made in God's image, aka Jesus- Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. Its pure and simple. Anyone who argues that Sachin is even comparable to the Don, should hear Sachin's interview ( making of SRT i think it was), where he says flat-out that Bradman was the best and incomparable to anyone else. So when SRT himself says he isn't good enough, jingoistic fools looking to discredit the greatest batsman that's ever lived ( Bradman) should think twice before embarassing themselves. For i'd rather take SRT's opinion on batsmanship over dime-a-dozen 'analysts' without proper grasp of cricketing fundamentals.

Guest HariSampath

I have spoken to people in Chennai who had actually seen Nissar bowl, and had also seen others like Imran Khan, Holding etc, and they have all told me the pace was similar, and also that modern Indian bowlers never ever touched the pace of Nissar. btw....bheem, if you disregard everything said and written by those who had seen the former great batsmen and bowlers, what are you going to rely on ? we don't have video footage and tey didn't have speed guns in those days, does it mean that all that is "hearsay" and all you do ( projections) are more reliable ? I totally disagree

There is only one God of batting- Sir Donald Bradman. Then there is daylight ( holy ghost) and some distance behind him is the one made in God's image, aka Jesus- Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. Its pure and simple. Anyone who argues that Sachin is even comparable to the Don, should hear Sachin's interview ( making of SRT i think it was), where he says flat-out that Bradman was the best and incomparable to anyone else. So when SRT himself says he isn't good enough, jingoistic fools looking to discredit the greatest batsman that's ever lived ( Bradman) should think twice before embarassing themselves. For i'd rather take SRT's opinion on batsmanship over dime-a-dozen 'analysts' without proper grasp of cricketing fundamentals.
now thts funny....how would u feel if sachin goes out and says " I THINK I AM BETTER THAN BRADMAN..." This board would have more threads than a half knitted woolen sweater.... anyway, with lack of video recording, i dont think even sachin saw enough of the don batting to make a proper analysis of "his batsmanship"... no one is discrediting the don's achievements...but me , for one, wouldn't stay down and take ppl declaring that DON Is the GOD of cricket....!!!! err... batting
he says flat-out that Bradman was the best and incomparable to anyone else. So when SRT himself says he isn't good enough, jingoistic fools looking to discredit the greatest batsman that's ever lived ( Bradman) should think twice before embarassing themselves. For i'd rather take SRT's opinion on batsmanship over dime-a-dozen 'analysts' without proper grasp of cricketing fundamentals.
lol, thats different thing.. if tendulkar goes on to say that he is better then brad, then their would be other controversy or debate.. new bulletins would be started on tendulkar on news channels, just to cover that matter.. ppl would say tendulkar has ego and stuff.... hence tendulkar chose to be down to earth..
Guest HariSampath
Hear hear :two_thumbs_up:, Let me add the other little master Sunny Gavaskar's comment on the day he passed Bradman's record of 29 centuries in Chennai: >> It is ridiculous to even compare this record to the Don, there can be no comparision between Donald Bradman and any batsman of any era. If and when anyone gets 30 centuries in 51 tests, then we can compare and even then I think the Don would remain the greatest ever cricketer<
Infact there have been a grand total of Just 4 scores above 250 IN India. Its very hard to rack up big scores in India .... even against just decent bowlers and by decent I mean bowlers around the 27-32 bowl avg . Its highly unlikely that Bradman would score a big double never mind a triple IN India. The same holds true for South Africa too.
In the 130 years of Ashes Tests, non-Bradman batsmen have scored just three triple centuries (Hutton in 1938, Simpson in 1964, Cowper in 1965-66). By your logic, "it is highly unlikely that Bradman could have scored a triple hundred in Ashes Tests" - except that he scored two triples himself.
Guest HariSampath
The problem I have with that is because people tend to embelish the past .... and try to view it thru tinted glasses ... The oldies have this habit of going down the "In me days things were harder and we was better" kinda thought process ... some examples are Boycott' date=' SMG, Benaud , Chappell etc etc ...[/quote'] By the same token it can be argued people today tend to get carried away by the modern day hype to tag even ordinary performances as "great" because of the public demand, current spectatorial interest and huge commercial interest. And certainly if the likes of Boycott, Chappell, and others do talk about their playing days and players, you must remember they had all been there and done it, and no motive can be attributed to them. In fact for them, being modern day commentators it makes more "politically correct" statements like saying modern players like Lara, Sachin, warne etc are the best, keeping in mind today's "audience demand" and to please people.
Guest HariSampath
In the 130 years of Ashes Tests' date=' non-Bradman batsmen have scored just three triple centuries (Hutton in 1938, Simpson in 1964, Cowper in 1965-66). By your logic, "it is highly unlikely that Bradman could have scored a triple hundred in Ashes Tests" - except that he scored two triples himself.[/quote'] Very good point tapioca. I agree, ( also I think that perhaps you should add Andy Sandham) to that list of triple centurians, he had got a 320 if I remember, but I may be wrong)
By the same token it can be argued people today tend to get carried away by the modern day hype to tag even ordinary performances as "great" because of the public demand, current spectatorial interest and huge commercial interest. And certainly if the likes of Boycott, Chappell, and others do talk about their playing days and players, you must remember they had all been there and done it, and no motive can be attributed to them. In fact for them, being modern day commentators it makes more "politically correct" statements like saying modern players like Lara, Sachin, warne etc are the best, keeping in mind today's "audience demand" and to please people.
That is indeed the case. Not only in cricket but in most areas. Take for example Indian music. Old maestros like KL Sehgal are either not heard, or not respected. Singers like Kishore, Rafi and Mukesh are considered far better, never mind the fact that they all are on record saying they idolised Sehgal and even tried to copy him. xx