Bradman - Hype or Real

Guest BossBhai

Guest HariSampath
Any reasons for this blind infatuation with DGB and his words and especially the penchant to judge Indian Players by those standards that are no longer appreciated by the aussies themself ?
Its not blind infatuation with Donald Bradman, but merely an acknowledgement and an understanding of the fact that he had seen just about everything possible in cricket, done just about everything humanly possible, and was perhaps the most brilliant analyst of the game, and the most candid , humble and honest cricket player despite his superhuman achievements Where have I judged Indian players by aussie standards of today ( with ref to on field behavior ? ) or on cricket skills ? I always defer to knowledgeable opinions if it is expressed by a top cricket player who has my respect, if it is expressed with no ulterior motive/bias, irrespective of country or team
Guest HariSampath
Any reasons for this blind infatuation with DGB and his words and especially the penchant to judge Indian Players by those standards that are no longer appreciated by the aussies themself ?
So you are saying that Sir Donald's opinion is to ignored or that he may not have done anything to merit attention......? go on....say it....please..... wait, lemme just draw my knife out..:shades_smile:
Guest HariSampath
Like 1. Playing IN India 2. Playing in Pak,SL,WI ? 3. Playing against a quartet ala Holding,MM,Big Bird,Andy Fiery Roberts ? 4. Playing against qualities Leggies ? 5. Playing against super fast bowlers (Shoaib,Donald,Blee etc) 6. Playing at a Wankhedesque dust bowls where the first innings Batting Avg is lesser than a Perths 4th inngs avg ? 7. Playing reverse swing ? 8. Playing against really mean bowlers with sub 23 avg ?
Ok, I will take you on , but I had served you my warning. Shall we slug it out on a separate thread ? Why don't you start one " Was Bradman really great? " and we will do it there . I have invited you for the game, and you may use the last 2-3 posts as beginers, ok fair enough ?
Like 1. Playing IN India 2. Playing in Pak,SL,WI ? 3. Playing against a quartet ala Holding,MM,Big Bird,Andy Fiery Roberts ? 4. Playing against qualities Leggies ? 5. Playing against super fast bowlers (Shoaib,Donald,Blee etc) 6. Playing at a Wankhedesque dust bowls where the first innings Batting Avg is lesser than a Perths 4th inngs avg ? 7. Playing reverse swing ? 8. Playing against really mean bowlers with sub 23 avg ?
How about playing in an era where fielding is considered as important as batting/bowling and not just an audience to appreciate good looking shots? I still think Bradman would have averaged in high 70s if he had played in this era. The gap between his game and other great batsmen of his era is so much, we don't know how his abilities would fare with moderm day inputs.
Guest HariSampath

Ground rules..

Ok, I will take you on , but I had served you my warning. Shall we slug it out on a separate thread ? Why don't you start one " Was Bradman really great? " and we will do it there . I have invited you for the game, and you may use the last 2-3 posts as beginers, ok fair enough ?
Ok, thank you for accepting, now some basic ground rules, please bullet the questions you have raised as A, B, C etc, for the purposes of clarity while addressing these points , both for and against, by both of us, as you will find that several points will have to be debated with comparisions, examples etc which itself would become referrals to the basic core points. This is a very serious and interesting debate, perhaps one of the most interesting cricketing debates of the last 60 years ,and you may want to do some prep too, I suggest you search on certain names like Fingleton, Grimmet, O'Reilly etc for your sakes, ( there I am being helpful to the enemy, noble gesture :giggle:) The moment I find you are going on pointlessly, I will stop, and also if I feel if you are pretending not to understand any point, but you never have to accept any point or give up a subjective opinion, nor do I have to. Every other member has the right to argue their points in any manner and also take any position, and neither you nor I have to subscribe to any bad example of a valid point, but of course can always have the healthy debate with all, which the main purpose of course. Any suggestions/agreements/disagreements, please feel free to mention now. btw, I had been planning this for a while :D, as you can see from the intro thread and my reply to you, now I have suckered you into the worst possible cricketing debate anyone not wanting to lose can pick. :two_thumbs_up:
Guest HariSampath
^^ Hari' date=' this is indeed one of the biggest debates in cricket. A rather interesting one as well. A quick question for you, all things being equal what do you opine would be Bradman's average had he played in current era say?[/quote'] Yeah, Lurker, it is perhaps the most debated cricketing points since the second world war, and I had worked out that average business a few years back. In my opinion, The Don should have actually averaged around 108, had he not have to miss out on nearly 10 years of international cricket due to the world war.. As this happened between the age of 30 to 40 for him almost, one can only imagine what he hay have done in those precious years of peak batting ability, especially considering how fantastic he was resuming at the age of 40. I feel that had he played the number of tests, say around 100 in this era, his stats may have been as follows: 100 tests, 150 innings, 15,000 runs, 45 centuries, Avg : 100
Guest HariSampath
And the risk of sounding exclusivist or detatched can we just restrict this thread to just the 2 of us ... this will help it stay focused and save both of us some time. Once done folks can comment on a seperate thread or open a seperate thread in parallel to make their own comments. Apologies if that comes across as rude ....
I don't think that is fair and it will even detract from the debate, see my earlier post, all can and should contribute, but that doesn't mean any point badly argued by someone from your side binds you and same for me. But we need to have a completely open partcipatory debate, and you don't have to accept all I say to others while I don't have to accept or respond to all you say to others, fair to all ? I think so.