Supreme Court pronounces gay sex illegal

Stuge

Filing a review petition was the right thing because it gave SC to correct its judgement which the court rejected today Now comes the next steps which they should take. And Congress would be rightfully criticized if they don't do that.
Again so what were they doing from 2004-2009. ?? Clearly as you love quoting track records, the congress are happy to run down time .... They have a track record of not passing legislation. Keep in mind that the constitution of India was written and approved by the congress which was the largest party in India at that time. The BJP have not introduced any bill when they were in power 1998-2004 to change the status quo for better or worse.
Rajnath has made it clear that it is the party stand, not his personal opinion. Unless Modi says otherwise and given his rightwing ideology, it is safe to assume that he shares those views.
Again, thats an inconsistent stance. You are ready to give the SP who created a hoo ho against the women's reservation bill the benefit of the doubt. Yet you dont do the same for the BJP. Modi will form government if at all and he is the one who will have to decide. Rajnath Singh claims many things. He is not the PM candidate. You also assume that every BJP MP wll vote in line with the party. and just so as to end this cat and mouse argument Homosexuality is unethical and immoral: Samajwadi Party http://ibnlive.in.com/news/homosexuality-is-unethical-and-immoral-samajwadi-party/439247-37-64.html So using the same metric of Rajnath representing the BJP. Is it fair to say even some "secular" parties are against the bill?

Again so what were they doing from 2004-2009. ?? Clearly as you love quoting track records, the congress are happy to run down time .... They have a track record of not passing legislation. Keep in mind that the constitution of India was written and approved by the congress which was the largest party in India at that time. The BJP have not introduced any bill when they were in power 1998-2004 to change the status quo for better or worse.
The Congress was against the judgement in 2009 and they were criticized at that time for it by many human rights activists. Circa 2013, the global conversation for homosexuality has consistently moved towards the left and many political parties have updated their stance. Heck, even the Pope has no problems with homosexuals anymore. As of today, the Congress is doing the right thing. They filed a review petition as soon the judgement came and should move a bill too. BJP however is taking a homophobic and bigoted stand and you are praising them for being consistent? Guess what, VHP, Bajrang Dal, and all their chillar chaddi parties are pretty consistent in their stands as well, are they right too?
Again, thats an inconsistent stance. You are ready to give the SP who created a hoo ho against the women's reservation bill the benefit of the doubt. Yet you dont do the same for the BJP. Modi will form government if at all and he is the one who will have to decide. Rajnath Singh claims many things. He is not the PM candidate. You also assume that every BJP MP wll vote in line with the party.
When did I give the benefit of doubt to SP :confused: I said the stands of regional parties matter less than the national parties because the national parties would be heading the governments of their respective alliances. Your argument about Modi/Rajnath is quite a stretch. This isnt about the view of Rajnath at all. It is clear from the statements of both Rajnath singh and Mukhtar abbas naqvi that BJP as a party will not support a new bill because it is unnatural and goes against culture and tradition. This is the party line which hardly leaves anything to interpretation.
Homosexuality is unethical and immoral: Samajwadi Party http://ibnlive.in.com/news/homosexuality-is-unethical-and-immoral-samajwadi-party/439247-37-64.html So using the same metric of Rajnath representing the BJP. Is it fair to say even some "secular" parties are against the bill?
Surprise Surprise, SP is a backward and regressive party. As if I ever disagreed with that. These morons even tried to claimed to ban English and computers in their 2009 manifesto. Are you saying that because SP, a secular party is bigoted, it makes it alright for BJP to be bigoted as well?

So you agree you were wrong to say that I have praised the BJP on this issue.
If you agree that 1) you were wrong about me giving SP the benefit of the doubt 2) you were wrong about me being ok with the pre 2009 stand of the congress 3) you were wrong about the views being that of Rajnath (implying that they were not the party stand 4) you were wrong about the Congress not having done anything ( they filed a review petition which got rejected today). , I have no issues with editing my post

If you agree that 1) you were wrong about me giving SP the benefit of the doubt 2) you were wrong about me being ok with the pre 2009 stand of the congress 3) you were wrong about the views being that of Rajnath (implying that they were not the party stand 4) you were wrong about the Congress not having done anything ( they filed a review petition which got rejected today). , I have no issues with editing my post
I wrote,
Parties like BSP, SP and even Trinamool are never going to vote for a gay rights bill. They as max might abstain. If the congress wanted a gay rights bill. They would have introduced it like a female reservation bill.
To which you replied
As of now, they havent made the stance clear. These parties stand is only important after a bill is introduced. But the stance of the BJP and Congress is important because they are national parties and most likely to be heading their respective alliances
and when i showed you what the SP had said on homosexuality (or one of their leaders) you wrote
Surprise Surprise, SP is a backward and regressive party. As if I ever disagreed with that. These morons even tried to claimed to ban English and computers in their 2009 manifesto.
and thats just the first point. There are issues with consistency in your argument in each of the remaining points. So what happened to "their stance being important only after the bill is introduced". It seems you have dismissed them even before the bill was introduced on the floor. and please dont edit your posts. Better for it to be out in open.

In any case i dont want to continue this debate as we seem to be moving in circles. Lets wait and see if the congress does introduce the bill in the budget session which i do believe shall start in Feb. If they do then i back them and praise them on that issue. if they dont then its just our typical congress populist lip service.

I wrote, to which you replied and when i showed you what the SP had said on homosexuality (or one of their leaders) you wrote
And how exactly is this giving the benefit of the doubt to the SP? You said these parties might oppose the bill as well. I replied that they havent made the stance clear (turns out SP had done), but being smaller regional parties, their stance is important only after one of the coalition leaders (Congress or BJP) introduces a bill to decriminalize homosexuality. At no point did I say SP will support the bill.
and thats just the first point. There are issues with consistency in your argument in each of the remaining points. So what happened to "their stance being important only after the bill is introduced". It seems you have dismissed them even before the bill was introduced on the floor. and please dont edit your posts. Better for it to be out in open.
You have been making factually incorrect statements and strawman arguments which are easy for you to refute 1) you argued with me as if I was supporting the Pre Congress 2009 stand, which I wasnt. Again feel free to show me a post where I said that the Congress was right before 2009 in opposing the judgement. My problem is with the stand, not with the political party, 2) You said the views were by Rajnath Singh and Modi's views may differ. I replied that it was the party stand, not Rajnath's own views. This is made clear by Muqthar Abbas Naqvi asserting that BJP as a party will oppose any amendment to the Section. It is pretty obvious what the BJP's views are. And as Modi is the heading the party in this election, it is safe to assume that he will toe the party line unless he specifically states otherwise. 3) You said the Congress since the first judgement had done nothing but pay lip service and no bill was introduced. Again wrong since Congress has filed a review petition after the first judgement which got rejected only today. The point about the introduction of a bill is pointless because the Lok Sabha isnt even in session yet. I hope they introduce and get a bill passed because the next government will most certainly not. If they don't, I will criticize them because they would be wrong.

Gujarat Policemen Rape Gay Man In Ahmedabad http://www.gaylaxymag.com/latest-news/gujarat-policemen-rape-gay-man-in-ahmedabad/

The two policemen, in their mid-20s, were posted on duty during the Ahmedabad gay pride march held on December 1st, in which the victim had participated. Today as the man was returning to his car, the policemen recognized and accosted him, asking if he had taken part in the march. On his confirmation, the cops demanded to see his license and papers and started hurling abuses at him. The victim protested and tried to get away, but the cops started beating him up with sticks and forced themselves on him, abusing him all the time and remarking ‘jab poori duniya se marwai hai, toh humse bhi marwa le’ (when you have got ****ed by the whole world, then get ****ed by us too) . The man returned home battered and bruised with multiple wounds on his body. The cops were not drunk and were in full control of their senses.

Happy days for gays here :dance:

Madhav was quoted in a business daily as saying that while he did not glorify certain kinds of behaviour covered by Section 377, it was debatable whether they should be considered a crime. He reiterated the view in a conversation with TOI. "We would like to latch on to anything that looks like hope. This is a step in the right direction, and a progressive move for the RSS, but whether it is a leap in the RSS ideology is something only time will tell," said Harish Iyer, equal rights activist and a member of the gay community. He pointed out that the organization cannot afford to be ambiguous on an issue that deals with human rights.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Gay-sex-RSS-comment-sparks-hope-on-Section-377/articleshow/35644859.cms