McMillan announces his retirement

Dravid

Health problems contribute to batsman's early departure Cricinfo staff October 17, 2007 ocy6d.jpg Craig McMillan's last home summer of international cricket included the fastest ODI century by a New Zealand player, a 66-ball effort against Australia Craig McMillan has retired from international and domestic cricket, citing personal reasons and health problems as contributing factors. McMillan, 31, said he wanted to go out on a high and would now spend time with his family before making any further decisions on his future. "I have decided that the time is right for me to retire from cricket to spend more time with my family, as well as look after my health, as I have had ongoing issues related to diabetes," McMillan said. "I feel that the past season has been one of the best of my cricket career and I am happy to be retiring on a really positive note." There had been reports that McMillan would quit to take up a contract with the Indian Cricket League but he did not elaborate on his possible future involvement in cricket. "I will now spend time with my family before deciding what direction I will take with my future," he said. Justin Vaughan, the CEO of New Zealand Cricket, said although McMillan still had plenty to offer he had been released from his national contract on compassionate grounds. "We are disappointed to be losing Craig at this point," Vaughan said. "His performances at the recent Twenty20 World Cup were tremendous. I understand his reasons for wishing to retire and wish him all the best for the future." McMillan sits fourth on New Zealand's all-time ODI run-tally, behind his contemporaries Stephen Fleming, Nathan Astle and Chris Cairns. In his 197 one-day internationals he scored 4707 runs at 28.18, an average that perhaps did not reflect his full potential. His Test career petered out after the home series against Australia in March 2005, however his 3116 runs at 38.46 from 55 appearances made him a valuable part of the side for much of the past decade. McMillan backed up his three ODI centuries and six Test hundreds with more than useful medium-pace bowling which brought him 28 Test wickets at 44.89 and 49 one-day victims at 35.04

June 2006 - Loses his national contract after a poor run of ODI form. Considers taking up a career as a salesman to help pay the bills. February 2007 - Caps off his comeback with the fastest century in an ODI by a New Zealand player. Blasts 117 from 96 balls - the century comes from 67 deliveries - as he overshadows Matthew Hayden's 181 and steers New Zealand towards a successful chase of 347 at Hamilton. In typical McMillan fashion, he brings up his hundred with two successive sixes off Adam Voges. September 2007 - Proves that the frenetic Twenty20 format suits his destructive style as he finishes the World Twenty20 as New Zealand's leading run-scorer. He makes 163 at 40.75 with an impressive strike-rate of 181. showed them, thats for sure :P

June 2006 - Loses his national contract after a poor run of ODI form. Considers taking up a career as a salesman to help pay the bills. February 2007 - Caps off his comeback with the fastest century in an ODI by a New Zealand player. Blasts 117 from 96 balls - the century comes from 67 deliveries - as he overshadows Matthew Hayden's 181 and steers New Zealand towards a successful chase of 347 at Hamilton. In typical McMillan fashion, he brings up his hundred with two successive sixes off Adam Voges. September 2007 - Proves that the frenetic Twenty20 format suits his destructive style as he finishes the World Twenty20 as New Zealand's leading run-scorer. He makes 163 at 40.75 with an impressive strike-rate of 181. showed them, thats for sure :P
thats something interesting to know :two_thumbs_up:

Good man. Fine way to bow out, with some grace, dignity and good enough timing to not have people going 'about time too'. Took his share of crap, but he was one hell of a talent. Too good a talent to achieve as little as he did, but a wonderful entertainer. I'll remember that Hamilton ton a long time - still have the highlights with me, and that was a masterful display of hitting with real fury, timing and power.