Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014

Raghav_12

Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014  

1. 1.

• Rafael Nadal
    • Novak Djokovic
    • Andy Murray
    • None of the above

Tsonga has served brilliantly this tournament and been much more consistent from the baseline, however we've not seen this from in over 2 years. So I think Fed would still be comfortable favourite. Djokovic being rusty, possibly tanking and Murray still nowehere near pre-injury level has helped to make Tsonga better than he actually is.

Djokovic isn't the kind of guy who'd deliberately ''tank''. Sure he probably played within himself but that still doesn't explain a 6-2 6-2 scoreline. Tsonga is playing well but I think Federer will take this in 2 sets. Predicting a 6-4 6-4 to Federer. Haven't watch all the games in their entirety but it seems to me that Federer is playing his best tennis in about two years. He's been going well since the Australian Open this year but he has nothing to show for it except a win in Dubai. He'll want to correct that. A masters event is no grand slam but it'll give him confidence going into Ciccinnati and the US Open.

A few questions for all the tennis fans here. 1)What will happen first(if at all) - Federer getting to Nadal's masters tally or Nadal getting to Federer's GS tally? 2)What is the status of Nadal's injury? Will he play the US Open? 3)What chance does Fed have to become number 1 by the end of this year? (say if he wins US Open)

A few questions for all the tennis fans here. 1)What will happen first(if at all) - Federer getting to Nadal's masters tally or Nadal getting to Federer's GS tally? 2)What is the status of Nadal's injury? Will he play the US Open? 3)What chance does Fed have to become number 1 by the end of this year? (say if he wins US Open)
1) Federer will never equal Nadal's master's tally unless Nadal retires today. Even then it would be quite tough for Fed to win 6 more masters (probably 5 more after today). Nadal may be able to get to 17 but 3 slams after the age of 28 is not easy. He might just get there. Also Federer may have one more slam in him. 2) It is still uncertain. He has a splint on to keep his right wrist immobilized. There is a test early next week which will confirm his status. But he has not hit a backhand in a while and it is very difficult to get that strength back after keeping your wrist still for 2-3 weeks. So it does not look very good for him. Time is running out for him. Although he is still practicing hard (physical training and forehand). 3) Not very high. Novak is well set to be the #1 again. Nadal and Djokovic were quite close till Toronto but I think Nadal is out of it now. Federer is still behind Nadal. He would need Djokovic to perform really poorly and win a lot himself to get to #1.

Dude I'm a big Federer fan but this is one of the last arguments you can make against Nadal. The guy is Zeus under pressure. Arguably one of the best players in all sport under pressure.
I have never seen anyone performing as well under pressure as Nadal has over the years. Sampras was great in saving BPs and playing well when the pressure was on but he also had that virtually infallible serve which bailed him out. Nadal does that on the biggest of the stages without it. Djokovic did it for about a year when he was at the top of his game but not before and after that. Just show me anyone else who has been able to do this under extreme pressure when everything was at stake (watch the video from 3:53:00) and this is just one example, he did it again in the 2013 US open final in the 3rd set and has been repeating such performance for 10 years now. XDWNrvXL9Gs

Tsonga beat Djokovic, Murray, Deimitrov and Federer back to back to win the title. Excellent performance. Just shows how dangerous he can be when he plays his best tennis. I think Tsonga played really well at Wimbledon too and IMO Djokovic played his best grass court tennis that I have seen to beat him that day.

1) Federer will never equal Nadal's master's tally unless Nadal retires today. Even then it would be quite tough for Fed to win 6 more masters (probably 5 more after today). Nadal may be able to get to 17 but 3 slams after the age of 28 is not easy. He might just get there. Also Federer may have one more slam in him. 2) It is still uncertain. He has a splint on to keep his right wrist immobilized. There is a test early next week which will confirm his status. But he has not hit a backhand in a while and it is very difficult to get that strength back after keeping your wrist still for 2-3 weeks. So it does not look very good for him. Time is running out for him. Although he is still practicing hard (physical training and forehand). 3) Not very high. Novak is well set to be the #1 again. Nadal and Djokovic were quite close till Toronto but I think Nadal is out of it now. Federer is still behind Nadal. He would need Djokovic to perform really poorly and win a lot himself to get to #1.
I have never seen anyone performing as well under pressure as Nadal has over the years. Sampras was great in saving BPs and playing well when the pressure was on but he also had that virtually infallible serve which bailed him out. Nadal does that on the biggest of the stages without it. Djokovic did it for about a year when he was at the top of his game but not before and after that. Just show me anyone else who has been able to do this under extreme pressure when everything was at stake (watch the video from 3:53:00) and this is just one example, he did it again in the 2013 US open final in the 3rd set and has been repeating such performance for 10 years now. XDWNrvXL9Gs
Thank you for your comments mate. Much appreciated. As regards the Aus Open video and Nadal playing under pressure - agree totally. I have seen Nadal do it time and again. I genuinely don't think I've seen too many better players under pressure - if any - in all sport, not just tennis. That is why it is silly to even suggest Nadal isn't good under pressure. That is totally the worst argument you can make against him. Djokovic is an interesting case. As you say, that one year aside, he's not been that good. Even in matches where he has pulled off a close win it's more because the opponent cocked up than because he did something (2 US Open semis vs Fed come to mind), whereas with Nadal he basically fights and fights till the opponent breaks down. Of course there's a thin line and there have been cases where Djokovic has done the same but it's been few and far between (relatively speaking). My take on it is that - and going slightly off topic here - Nadal's troubled personal life (with parents separating etc) has hardened him and the benefits have rubbed off on court as well. Of course his tenacity, incredible court coverage and ground shots are also extraordinary and seldom fail him in a pressure situation. Well done to Tsonga on the win. Great stuff from him. He beat 3 of the supposed big 4 en route to his win which is incredible. Federer was off his game to say the least. The final losses are adding up now. He'll need to win one sooner rather than later.