Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014

Raghav_12

Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014  

1. 1.

• Rafael Nadal
    • Novak Djokovic
    • Andy Murray
    • None of the above

I think the match will be close because of the match up, not form as such, but Novak should have too much for Fed. If Novak plays as well, or should I say defends as well as he's done this week, he should win. As for the other semi, very interesting semi, but I got a feeling Simon will grind Lopez down, Simon has this ability to make players play how he wants to, slow pushing from the back of the court.

If Federer wins tomorrow, he will actually have a decent chance of ending the year as #1. He would only be 990 points behind Djokovic in the race and will probably play one more event than Djokovic. Also Djokovic is about to be a dad, that might impact his play/schedule too. It's been a very good year for Federer. After last year, not many would have thought that he would play so great this year. Although he would have liked to win a slam over everything else.

It would be disappointing if Fed ended as year end #1. Obviously it would be deserved, you don't end up as number 1 unless you are very consistent. Overall yesterday whilst his plan was very effective, charging the net relentlessly and playing ultra-aggressive, Novak was off his game. It wasn't just that Novak wasn't allowed space and time for his shots, the combination of Fed's excellent serving and Novak's sub-par FH meant Fed had it much easier unlike Wimbledon where Novak was comfortable against the same tactics. At Wimbledon, Novak should have won in 4 sets, but for the choking at the end of set 4. I do get the feeling as the commentators keep mentioning, both Novak and Rafa have their mind's elsewhere and have done for several weeks. I think once Rafa is back from his surgery, he'll be back to a force and Novak needs to settle into fatherhood. If the younger generation weren't so crap, I'd have said a 27yr old Novak and 28yr old Rafa were about to enter the decline big time, but the *****yness of guys like Dimitrov and Raonic means that these two might be a force for maybe another 12-18 months. Paris has always been a strange masters, so I wouldn't be surprised if we had a new winner there, maybe Nishikori if fit. Anyways Fed wins today, new winner at Paris and the WTF will be wide open as well. Novak as a new dad without the training and match time means he'll probably lose his stranglehold at the tour finals. Looks like Roger could have his chance at World No 1 after all that's happened in the last few months.