Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014

Raghav_12

Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014  

1. 1.

• Rafael Nadal
    • Novak Djokovic
    • Andy Murray
    • None of the above

If Federer wins tomorrow' date=' he will actually have a decent chance of ending the year as #1. He would only be 990 points behind Djokovic in the race and will probably play one more event than Djokovic. Also Djokovic is about to be a dad, that might impact his play/schedule too. It's been a very good year for Federer. After last year, not many would have thought that he would play so great this year. Although he would have liked to win a slam over everything else.[/quote'] true

It would be disappointing if Fed ended as year end #1. Obviously it would be deserved, you don't end up as number 1 unless you are very consistent. Overall yesterday whilst his plan was very effective, charging the net relentlessly and playing ultra-aggressive, Novak was off his game. It wasn't just that Novak wasn't allowed space and time for his shots, the combination of Fed's excellent serving and Novak's sub-par FH meant Fed had it much easier unlike Wimbledon where Novak was comfortable against the same tactics. At Wimbledon, Novak should have won in 4 sets, but for the choking at the end of set 4. I do get the feeling as the commentators keep mentioning, both Novak and Rafa have their mind's elsewhere and have done for several weeks. I think once Rafa is back from his surgery, he'll be back to a force and Novak needs to settle into fatherhood. If the younger generation weren't so crap, I'd have said a 27yr old Novak and 28yr old Rafa were about to enter the decline big time, but the *****yness of guys like Dimitrov and Raonic means that these two might be a force for maybe another 12-18 months. Paris has always been a strange masters, so I wouldn't be surprised if we had a new winner there, maybe Nishikori if fit. Anyways Fed wins today, new winner at Paris and the WTF will be wide open as well. Novak as a new dad without the training and match time means he'll probably lose his stranglehold at the tour finals. Looks like Roger could have his chance at World No 1 after all that's happened in the last few months.
Federer's ground game was absolutely pathetic in the Wimbledon final. He served like a man possessed there and that was what kept him in the game there. In fact, this is the first time since Cincy 12 that his FH seemed to get going..and even here it was only in the Djokovic match. His FH was pretty lousy again vs Simon. He's probably just starting to get used to his new racquet. He has mentioned repeatedly that the FH has suffered with the bigger racquet and that he is still working on it. Hopefully the Djokovic match is a sign of things to come.

All in all, a good year for Federer regardless of what happens now. Obviously a GS win would have been the icing on the cake but after the injury induced crap year last time this is a big improvement. I don't see him getting the YE 1. 990 points is a lot...If Federer wins Basel and outdoes Djokovic at Paris maybe he's a shot but it's a really long shot. Maybe he's hoping Djokovic misses Paris just like Federer had to miss Madrid earlier! #2 is still more than a good achievement though and will ensure Djokovic and Nadal end up on the same side at the AO. He's 3-2 vs Djokovic at 33 this year, sweet! Also happy that the time rule is being enforced a little more strictly. It still is a joke but at least they're trying a bit more though. It wouldn't allow players to simply get their breath back after 50 shot rallies and encourage players to shorten points to preserve their energies. WTF should be very interesting as usual. Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Wawrinka all in. Cilich is too( I know there's a chance he doesn't if he slips outside the top 20 but that isn't happening). Hope Murray, Nishikori and Ferrer are the other 3. No Byrdch please!

How Roger Federer can steal the No. 1 ranking from Novak Djokovic With his victory over Gilles Simon at the Shanghai Rolex Masters, Roger Federer moved to No. 2 in the ATP rankings, just 990 points behind Novak Djokovic in the year-to-date points race. That puts the 33-year-old Federer within striking distance of the year-end No. 1 ranking, something that would be improbable both at his advanced age and with nary a Grand Slam title on his 2014 résumé. This isn’t some pie-in-the-sky notion either. Federer’s ascension to No. 1, while not probable, is very possible. Djokovic is scheduled to play two more tournaments this year: The BNP Paribas Masters in Paris and the year-end ATP World Tour Finals. Federer is scheduled to play those same tournaments, in addition to a 500-level event in his hometown of Basel. If Federer can advance deep into each of his tournaments, while outlasting Djokovic at in Paris andLondon, he could easily finish the year at No. 1. But will he? More:http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/roger-federer-number-one-atp-ranking-novak-djokovic-2014-no-1

Djokovic vs Nadal on the same side of the draw? Not sure I like that, they are clearly when fit and in form right now the two best players in the world and have been for 3 years. So if they meet it should be the final. As I said in a previous post, Federer getting to #1 would be deserved and no one argue with his overall consistency this year. But you have to say that a large part of it is due to the mental and physical condition of the other guys.

Djokovic vs Nadal on the same side of the draw? Not sure I like that' date=' they are clearly when fit and in form right now the two best players in the world and have been for 3 years. So if they meet it should be the final. As I said in a previous post, Federer getting to #1 would be deserved and no one argue with his overall consistency this year. But you have to say that a large part of it is due to the mental and physical condition of the other guys.[/quote'] Obviously. Year end #1 is relative to your competition. The top 2 guys have been nowhere near their best this year for various reasons. Last year Nadal had 13000+ points at the end of the year end and Djokovic had 12000+. This year the #1 won't even need 11000. In 2004, Roddick was #2 and check his achievements-- GS title= 0 Masters title =0 Olympic medal= 0 Year end championship=0 Then check 2008, Djokovic was #3 GS= 1 Masters= 2 Olympic medal= yes, bronze Year end championship=yes.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
That's how most of the players were in that period. None of them were consistent enough to come anywhere near the top rank. Nadal in his first full year rose to #2 in 2005 when he was only 18-19 and stayed there ever since. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how most of the players were in that period. None of them were consistent enough to come anywhere near the top rank. Nadal in his first full year rose to #2 in 2005 when he was only 18-19 and stayed there ever since.
Tennis is atleast competitive now.