Tendulkar likely to be India's Test captain!!

Prudent

Relax guys.... He has played this game more than you could even sit infront of Television and watch. This kind of judgement is surprising. Even with Dravid, we have seen that he wont hang on to it if he thinks he is not fit for that. Plus Dhoni is leading ODI side doesnt warrent him a birth in Test cricket. As for SRT Avg of 31, I agree that he had poor avg. But so what? If he doesnt improve in these few Tests that he plays, he would leave himself. Why are you shouting and making it out as if You are the only one who is noticing it and not him??? So just wait and watch. Some one who avg lot more than anyone in the entire country, you have such a faith in him? Some of you really show that you hate this guy. Dont you? I like to judge things after proven. His 2000 captaincy record should not be held against him. It was a match fixing Era and many of you know how the things went. But now this team is different and he is very confident about it. Even SG supported him to take over captaincy even before Dravid. But by then he was not ready. Now he feels he could do it then let him try that. We will talk after 10 test matches are played. Remember, he wants to lead against the best of 3 teams. He is not asking to lead against Bangla and Zim.

Am not saying Dhoni has a great record. But quoting his test performances against his captaincy reeks of hypocrisy. What is Tendulkar's average since Ind-SL 2005 series vs non-minnows ? A grand 31.75. He is our WORST TOP ORDER BATSMAN' date= absolutely the very worst, interms of averages against non minnows. With these numbers i wouldnt even give him a test spot, leave alone test captaincy.
Could you please stop restricting yourself to the one-dimensional view of "Sachin stats against non-minnows". Sachin was our best bat in the last 2 test series he played , against BD and England. Agreed he didnt end up as top-scorer but EVERY commentator worth his salt acknowledged his massive contribution in the 2nd and third test. If Sachin is to be dropped from the test , then so should most of the other batters.
Could you please stop restricting yourself to the one-dimensional view of "Sachin stats against non-minnows". Sachin was our best bat in the last 2 test series he played , against BD and England. Agreed he didnt end up as top-scorer but EVERY commentator worth his salt acknowledged his massive contribution in the 2nd and third test. If Sachin is to be dropped from the test , then so should most of the other batters.
The only one dimensional view i see on the board is the unanimous and unconditional backing this man gets, inspite of his horrendous run in Tests. Mark my words, he will not cross an average of 35 in the three immediate series we are set to play (Pak, Aus, SA). If he doesnt, will you change your opinion. I guess not! If OTOH, if he manages an avg of 45 against two of the three opponents, I'll stop harping on his form.
The only one dimensional view i see on the board is the unanimous and unconditional backing this man gets, inspite of his horrendous run in Tests. Mark my words, he will not cross an average of 35 in the three immediate series we are set to play (Pak, Aus, SA). If he doesnt, will you change your opinion. I guess not! If OTOH, if he manages an avg of 45 against two of the three opponents, I'll stop harping on his form.
Whats with this magical number of 35 ? Is that the bench-mark to judge players ? Stats are relative. You couldnt possibly expect me to ask for Sachin alone to be dropped , because he averaged below 35 , when every other batsman sucked as well.
Whats with this magical number of 35 ? Is that the bench-mark to judge players ? Stats are relative. You couldnt possibly expect me to ask for Sachin alone to be dropped , because he averaged below 35 , when every other batsman sucked as well.
Because IMO anything below 35 is mediocre. Atleast if such a batsman is young, you could argue for a longer rope to groom him. A senior batsman consistently averaging below 35 against quality test attacks over an extended period of time, is not showing temporary loss of form. Its a PERMANENT, IRREVERSIBLE decline in his batting graph, one that will never improve with time.
Bumps you gotta stop looking at averages over such short samples as in one series ...... especially when considering the fact that most of our last few tests have been low scoring affairs ... look at the total no.of runs .scoredb.... and then see what happens ... last 2 test series (excluding BD) SRT was in the top 3 and he missed the top position by about 30ish runs ...
1) Total runs is misleading and using that metric its hard to compare players over long periods of time, as diff batsmen have played diff no. of innings/Tests 2) Two years spanning 17 tests is by no means a short term sample. It clearly shows the recent trending of form, of the batsman, esp if he has enjoyed a continuous run in the team Question to you: Would u agree that Sachin needs to be dropped if he averages less than 35 against Pak, Aus, SA, which he will surely play as he is the captain of the side ? Yes or No ?

Man i dunno who should be the test captain cuz lot of the names poppng up for captaincy dun even hve their place for certain liek dhoni, laxman,kumble etc..even tendulkars form in tests is crap lately but i guess it will be alrite to give it to him cuz he wont be dropped for next 10 games CUZ OF GUTLESS SELECTORS and his position is certain atleast. so i think this move is alrite but in my opinion he doesnt deserve it BASED ON HIS PATHETIC CURRENT FORM AS POINTED OUT BY BUMPER.

Bumps you gotta stop looking at averages over such short samples as in one series ...... especially when considering the fact that most of our last few tests have been low scoring affairs ... look at the total no.of runs .scoredb.... and then see what happens ... last 2 test series (excluding BD) SRT was in the top 3 and he missed the top position by about 30ish runs ...
Bumper isn't looking at averages over a 'short sample' of one series. Tendulkar has sucked for seven of the last eight test series against non-minnow opposition. That is as fair a sample-set as you can get and i do hope you don't try to twist statistics in an assinine fashion again, lest you get schooled on the topic yet again. And by sucked, i mean failed to average 40, which is the benchmark for batting performance to be qualified as 'decent' by any standards. If that isn't drop-worthy, i dunno what is. Care to show me ANY other former great who was persisted with by ANY other team for so long when their performance was as horrible as Tendulkar's ? Only one comes to mind- Viv Richards and even Viv didnt go 7-8 series on the trot batting like a loser. Plus Viv was already captain for so many years and WI were winning everything anyways, so they could afford to carry a 'former great who is fading'. INDIA CANNOT. Tendulkar bats like a nobody in tests these days- he makes dibbly dobbly medium-pacers like Sidebottom look like Akram and in almost EVERY ONE of the innings he's crossed 50 in the last two years, he's done it so because he was dropped early on/lbw appeal not upheld, etc. True, he's gotten sawed off a few times in this span but i cannot remember a recent Tendulkar innings in tests where he didn't give a chance early on. That he is at the mercy of opposition drops and fumbles to put a measely 70-80 on the board is obvious and as 'drop-worthy' as it gets. Its time for Tendulkar fans to realize that Sachin as a test batsman is finished and those who want him to continue do so because of the hero-worshipping complex. They want an Indian batsman to hold 'records' that don't mean much (clearly, the unpsoken thing is Tendy fans want him to take the record from Lara) even when it comes at the expense of team India. Tendulkar should be the first to be dropped from the test team and it is crystal-clear that he is the weakest link in the batting for the last several series.
Its time for Tendulkar fans to realize that Sachin as a test batsman is finished and those who want him to continue do so because of the hero-worshipping complex. They want an Indian batsman to hold 'records' that don't mean much (clearly, the unpsoken thing is Tendy fans want him to take the record from Lara) even when it comes at the expense of team India. Tendulkar should be the first to be dropped from the test team and it is crystal-clear that he is the weakest link in the batting for the last several series.
Hafta agree with you here.
you were comparing on series by series basis .... going by your logic Kumble was the best batsman in our side for the England series. If you cannnot see the problem with that then there is nothing that I say that will make you change your mind. and no he didnt play any more inngs than RD,VVS,Gangs or Jaffer.
But your interpretation of facts is skewed heavily towards your inference. Why look at one test series ? Why not the two year span i pointed ? Isnt that what we use to deny Yuvraj his test spot ? Isnt that what we use to deny Dhoni his captaincy ? If you look at just the last two series, the batsman to go would be Rahul Dravid. Wouldnt that be ridiculous ? As for the averages, if Kumble averages like he did against England in the last two years, then there is nothing anamolous about it. But he did not, which clearly explains why we should be looking at a larger time frame as opposed to one or two series.
He did not play well in the home series vs Eng and the series vs Pak in Pak ... those series were more the 18 months ago ... still if you want to compare him lets see the numbers of others and compare that to his in test series where he played alongside them .... remember he did not play in the windies series.
You can safely add the SA series too. In the games he scored, many others scored fifties as well. (Am not even counting the early lives he had in the 50s he scored against him). In the two games that mattered, when we needed him the most, Tendulkar led our pu$$y march to defeat. In Durban, all we needed from Tendulkar was an innings that lasted a couple of hours, not runs, just time. Instead he came & went. In Capetown, i saw the worst ever batting display from a player of 50+ average. Totally inexplicable performance from a batsman of a team that was leading & was in the drivers seat till then. Even in his best series vs a non minnow (vs SL), he averaged a meagre 38. If you do not see his overall record in the last 2 years as failures, i dont know if you will ever change your mind.
why go next 2 series ... look at the last 2 series
By your own logic, after the next two series (if he finishes with an avg
... he avged less than 35 yet he is the top 3 run getter .... and no he didnt play any more inngs than RD,VVS,Gangs or Jaffer. You are saying as though the others are averaging in the 60s or 70s .... :teeth_smile:
If every one averages poorly, someone has to go. If it comes to that, I'll go by what they have done in the recent past. Ganguly, Laxman, Dravid, KKD, Jaffer all have done something noteworthy oflate. The only top order bat who has failed consistently is Tendulkar. He is not a 25 year old to deserve anymore rope. He has rode on his reputation and fan following for such a long time, without paying pack anything interms of performance. The forthcoming series will clearly show us that his dip in performance is not due to loss of form or injury, but due to loss of ability to do it anymore at this level.

India's last 20 Test matches..... Overall In ----------20 --- 37.8 v Bangladesh-------2 ---- 64.5 v England ---------- 6 ----35.0 v Pakistan----------- 3 ----49.5 v South Africa -----3 -----24.7 v Sri Lanka-----------2 -----39.4 v West Indies -----4 ------41.0 These are the avg scores per wkt in last 20 test matches. Now there are couple of test serieses where SRT has not scored enough... Accepted...BUT THATS it ... nothing more than that. So you are saying he is very worst...accepted..... Who cares... But I still want to congratulate selectors for taking this decision.. :dance::dance::dance::dance: I am glad for SRT....Who cares about those who are crying out loud here...:hysterical:

Bumps could you maybe put up the numbers of all those who played alongside SRT in the last 2 yrs or whatever you consider is the benchmark for determining who needs to be dropped ? and please dont just put up averages ... lets see the full deal ...i.e inngs' date='runs,not-outs,averages ....[/quote'] Batsmen ordered by their averages since Ind-SL 2005 minus Bangladesh KKD Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 4 8 1 364 52.00 0 4 1 Dravid Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 18 33 5 1406 50.21 3 9 0 Ganguly Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 10 17 2 618 41.20 0 4 1 Jaffer Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 13 25 0 992 39.68 3 5 1 Laxman Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 17 30 5 974 38.96 2 7 2 Sehwag Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 15 26 1 891 35.64 2 2 5 Irfan Pathan Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 10 14 0 476 34.00 0 4 2 Dhoni Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 20 29 2 915 33.88 1 5 1 Yuvraj Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 11 17 2 491 32.73 1 2 3 Tendulkar Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 15 25 1 762 31.75 1 4 1 Tendulkar is our WORST TEST BATSMAN, in the last two years, finishing below Irfan Pathan, Dhoni & Yuvraj interms of average. Even interms of no. of runs he is SIXTH in the list, which doesnt say much, as people below him viz -- KKD, Ganguly, Yuvraj & Pathan, have all played far fewer no. of innings Finishing 10th best in average, in this pathetic batting lineup is as bad as it can get.

Hahahah ! Jaffer's and Karthik's centuries against Bangladesh count, but Sachin's dont. Clearly clearly goes on to show Bumps is just intent on manipulating stats just so that Sachin looks bad. Surprising. And whats with this "Minus Bangladesh" concept ? What next ? The number of bad balls that were bowled to each batsman ? or the number of catches that were dropped ?

Some observations on these stats: 1) In the list Laxman, Sehwag, Pathan, Yuvraj, Ganguly have all been dropped at some point during this time for performance. 2) Dhoni is a wicket keeper, contributes more to the team than as a mere batsman. Which makes it even more ludicrous that the only batsman yet to pay for his gaffes is Tendulkar. Instead we reward this man with the highest honor in Indian cricket, our Test captaincy -- how worse can this get!