Not convinced about Badrinath.

gator

The more closely, I watch him, the more I am convinced he is not odi material... He could have been Vengy's next blunder, before things were redeemed and he was not picked this time round.... Vengsarkar is carrying forward the same problems he had with odis when he was a player.... he just does not understand the requirements of the game..... he was a very mediocre odi player himself... Badri has little to no backlift.... gets into position very late and mind u, this is 125kph bowling.... strokes carry lesser power, hence good fielding teams can choke him with good inner circle fielding.... depends heavily on bad balls for scoring and has no backup plans against tighter bowling... good enuf for tests, but will not work for odis.... he has tht square cut behind square, balls going down leg are flicked, and half volley outside off are cover-driven.... u dont get those often against sides like saffy, and aus.... he reminds me a lot of parthiv patel when he was 18 yrs old... IMO - it will be a mistake choosing him for odis....

This is what i said in another thread...!!! makes more sense here...

Yuseless has played 19 test matches, and played maybe one real knock of note and use. Some of us are willing to back newcomers like Badrinath with a superb domestic record over time, an excellent back foot game, a cool head and plenty of fine strokes around a good technique. quote] i saw the highlights of green vs. red...i think badri plays for red right? where he scored 82? i dont know if u guys noticed this guy was stuck 2 his crease when playin all his shots (against medium/fast bowlers) and they were mostly cutting the ball square...this wont help him against bowlers like lee, johnson or asif...i hope he has the much rumored back-foot technique that he is so famous for here...!!! nyway my view are only frm the video i saw 2day..i have not seen him play b4...!!! except watch the live streamin scores on cricinfo..! i m a big backer of badri in the indian outfit bcoz of his consistent run for India-A/TN/red..but his battin kinda dint exactly show his much talked abt technique...!!!! i also heard dravid backed him for a test-spot...i hope dravid knows better...!!!!

He has the mental fortitude and patience and skill required to build an innings in test matches.... but u are right, he doesnt have the temparament for odis and it is strange that he is backed for odis by the selectors... it is gonna destroy him.... actually from watching him today, he reminds me a lot of Navjot Sidhu... Sidhu has a decent technique, but never had the breadth of shots when he first entered the scene.... he was named the "strokeless wonder".... he reinvented himself later as "Sixer Sidhu", but i would still prefer my middle order odi bat to have a wide range of strokes

Dont judge a person by his technique...remember Mahendra Dhoni....or Saurav Ganguly. Please dont tell me these guys had the technique to back their skill. Badri has done consistently well in the first class arena and he deserves a call.
i am not questioning his technique, but i can make out based on a particular technique or rather style of play, whether a player would be successful in a particular format.....

He is an innings builder. Such folks never storm into a ODI lineup. They take time to blossom into a ODI batsman. If you look at our youth brigade, its full of slam-bang-dim-doosh stroke makers (Uthappa, Dhoni, Gambhir, Sehwag etc), hardly any innings builders. We can use a player like Badri when the big three retire. Until then, we should look to use Dravid in that role.

He is an innings builder. Such folks never storm into a ODI lineup. They take time to blossom into a ODI batsman. If you look at our youth brigade' date=' its full of slam-bang-dim-doosh stroke makers (Uthappa, Dhoni, Gambhir, Sehwag etc), hardly any innings builders. We can use a player like Badri when the big three retire. Until then, we should look to use Dravid in that role.[/quote'] Bumps, we can have an innings builder who possesses more strokes like Rohit, Tiwary, KKD etc... These guys have decent technique and can still score all around the wicket.... Not tht, I am saying tht these guys are on their way to being our saviors, but they have maximum probability compared to someone like Badri...

Badrinath should be our reserve middle order batsman in Test matches. He is a much better player in the longer version of the game than Yuvraj. In ODIs, he has a lot to learn and has the ability to develop into a Dravid type player but for that he will need a decent run in the side, which is difficult to afford when the team is losing.

Badrinath should be our reserve middle order batsman in Test matches. He is a much better player in the longer version of the game than Yuvraj. In ODIs' date= he has a lot to learn and has the ability to develop into a Dravid type player but for that he will need a decent run in the side, which is difficult to afford when the team is losing.
Mr. Know it all has spoken.