Question mark over Ganguly’s approach!

Prudent

Ahmedabad: Whether Sourav Ganguly is currently playing in the interests of the Indian team or for self is being mulled over by the National selectors. Some members of the Board of Control for Cricket in India are also aware of the happenings. The news circulating is that captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and vice-captain Yuvraj Singh have expressed their displeasure about Ganguly’s approach in the sixth one-day international against Australia at Nagpur. This was the reason an attempt was made at the meeting here on Saturday to drop him for the first two one-day internationals against Pakistan to be played at Guwahati and Mohali. Ganguly was picked in the 15-member squad because the five-member selection committee could not arrive at a consensus. Gambhir as opener More than one selector told The Hindu that Ganguly’s approach in one of the Power Play’s was not in the interests of the team and it was a golden opportunity to replace Ganguly with Gautam Gambhir as an opening partner to Sachin Tendulkar. Dilip Vengsarkar’s committee finally decided to retain him in the squad.The Bengal left-hander played in five matches against Australia. Because of rain he did not get to bat at Bangalore, missed the next match at Kochi because of a suspected hamstring pull, though an MRI examination revealed everything was fine. Thereafter he was dropped for the one-dayer at Hyderabad. The BCCI Secretary Niranjan Shah said he was dropped, while the team management maintained that he was rested.In the series that Australia won 4-2, Ganguly made 41 at Chandigarh and 86 at Nagpur, but was dismissed for ducks in Vadodara and Mumbai. Chasing 317, India lost the match at Nagpur by 18 runs. He and Tendulkar raised 140 for the first wicket and the southpaw departed in the first ball of the 37th over for 86 off 111 balls with a strike rate of 77.47.Questions have been raised frequently in his long career that started in Australia in the Benson & Hedges tri-series match against the West Indies in 1992. After that tour he was dropped. He roared back four years later with a century on Test debut against England at Lord’s. BCCI’s gag order Meanwhile, all the players who have contracts with the BCCI will not be allowed to talk to the media henceforth, except at official press conferences. The BCCI has taken the decision following interviews and reactions given by many players during the India-Australia series. Prof. Ratnakar Shetty, Chief Administrative Officer, BCCI is likely to visit Kolkata during the camp before the first match against Pakistan at Guwahati and brief the players. The BCCI had announced 33 contracted players and thereafter left-arm spinner Murali Kartik has been included in grade ‘D’ (Rs. 15 lakhs).It is also understood that Vengsarkar too has been told not to write columns. http://www.hindu.com/2007/10/29/stories/2007102961352300.htm

oops ganguly supporters will be quick to fire away and tell you how consistent he is: consistently scores at sr of 70, our best bat since he came back against sa, consistently a poor fielder and consistently a bad runner. Given the uncertainty surrounding every other youngsters performance they will take this consistency. Now let me describe the benefits of the consistency that the gentleman from Bengal brings. I really believe it helps develop character of the young member sof the team here's how: Fielding: Today when a young bowlers comes into the side he knows that he has to bowl a good line and length because "Dada" wont be able to stop balls unless they are hit straight to him. If we replace Dada with a better fielder then immediately this need for discipline will decline leading to poor bowling. Batting: Similarly Dada's running between the wickets forces yound middle order batsmen to hone shot making. Again consider if Utthappa thought he could steal singles on good balls do you think he would feel the need for dealing in 4s and 6s as he does right now? Also consider if someone scored at a high run rate in the beginning of the innigs - do you think we will be able develop character of middle order batsmen by subjecting them to unreasonably high ask rates in a seemingly lost cause. Thus, besides being consistently being bad in a number of areas Dada brings the additional value of creating right environment for insitlling discpline and character in young members - an attribute that we ned more today (as we replace other senio players) than ever.

Ganguly is not suited to the modern ODI game and has no role to play in the ODI team's future. Having said that, this seems like a classic case of passing the blame. It was Yuvraj, Dravid, and Dhoni's pathetic batting in the Nagpur ODI which led to the loss. 120 runs to get off 15 overs with 8 wickets in hand chasing 317, 99/100 teams will take that situation as an excellent launching pad.

Ganguly is not suited to the modern ODI game and has no role to play in the ODI team's future. Having said that' date=' this seems like a classic case of passing the blame. It was Yuvraj, Dravid, and Dhoni's pathetic batting in the Nagpur ODI which led to the loss. 120 runs to get off 15 overs with 8 wickets in hand chasing 317, 99/100 teams will take that situation as an excellent launching pad.[/quote'] Doesn't the new batsmen getting in hafta settle down too liek Ganguly did and with that creeping run rate which was way above the initial require rate mind you, isnt it hard?
Doesn't the new batsmen getting in hafta settle down too liek Ganguly did and with that creeping run rate which was way above the initial require rate mind you' date=' isnt it hard?[/quote']Its their job. Yuvraj, and Dravid lost the game for us, not Ganguly. 120 of 15 overs is not very hard, specially when you have 8 wickets in hand. Having said that, Ganguly should be dropped.
Its their job. Yuvraj, and Dravid lost the game for us, not Ganguly. 120 of 15 overs is not very hard, specially when you have 8 wickets in hand. Having said that, Ganguly should be dropped.
I would say Ganguly could have picked up after his 50. Having said that, Yuvraj, Dravid and Dhoni could have carried on but I have seen it far too often that coming in when required rate is above 9 is not easy even if there is plenty of batsmen left for 15+ overs.
I would say Ganguly could have picked up after his 50. Having said that' date=' Yuvraj, Dravid and Dhoni could have carried on but I have seen it far too often that coming in when required rate is above 9 is not easy even if there is plenty of batsmen left for 15+ overs.[/quote'] 8 Rpo for 15 overs is not hard at all. Why didnt uthappa need to settle in? He almost won the game for us? I would give 10% of the blame to ganguly, 40% of the blame to dravid, 40% to Yuvraj, and 10% to Dhoni...
8 Rpo for 15 overs is not hard at all. Why didnt uthappa need to settle in? He almost won the game for us? I would give 10% of the blame to ganguly, 40% of the blame to dravid, 40% to Yuvraj, and 10% to Dhoni...
Well Uthappa was able to hit out and he played good there. unfortunately he got out. That means he played good but that doesnt mean that ganguly cant be blamed for the pathetic strike rate . He was the set batsmen. He had the opportunity to set it up perfectly for INDIA after his 50 and make it easier for the other batsmen cuz he had the CHANCE TO DO IT THERE BY TAKING A LIL RISKS AFTER HIS 50.
Enormous run rate? 8 RPO in 15 overs with 7/8 wickets in hand is enormous? On the contrary' date=' it's the perfect platform for these power puff T20 players.[/quote'] We were only a wicket or so down . Why did Ganguly let the run rate creep up after we had reached a safe stage. ISNT THAT SELFISH OR NOT A INNINGS THAT WILL SET US UP TIGHT OR MAYBE LOSE IT FOR US
Well Uthappa was able to hit out and he played good there. unfortunately he got out. That means he played good but that doesnt mean that ganguly cant be blamed for the pathetic strike rate . He was the set batsmen. He had the opportunity to set it up perfectly for INDIA after his 50 and make it easier for the other batsmen cuz he had the CHANCE TO DO IT THERE BY TAKING A LIL RISKS AFTER HIS 50.
He did take risks after his 50. Do you even remember how he got out?? I'm sorry, but you cannot completely blame Ganguly for that loss. Yuvraj and Dravid clearly messed up the game for us. I dont want to argue any more with you, its clearly a waste of time. If you still think Ganguly is more to blame than Yuvraj, I'm sorry mate, but you dont know jack about cricket.
He did take risks after his 50. Do you even remember how he got out?? I'm sorry, but you cannot completely blame Ganguly for that loss. Yuvraj and Dravid clearly messed up the game for us. I dont want to argue any more with you, its clearly a waste of time. You cannot accept any criticism about Yuvraj.
Well, Yuvraj got out and he shouldn't have. You can criticize it all you want and its all good cuz its true and I am with you but defending Ganguly for batting at that strike rate in the context of the game was unfair to the batsmen yet to come to bat. Thats my opinion and I am off too and Goodnite