'You want me to bowl at 160 or 170?'

DesiChap

Vadodara: Since his return to the international cricket, he has done hardly anything wrong. He played a huge role in India's Twenty20 victory and the still reaping the honours. But Irfan knows every honour comes with more expectations. Since India's victory in the T20 World Championship, the accolades and felicitations have kept coming. On Sunday it was Irfan Pathan's turn. In his home town, and in the presence of friends and family, Pathan was presented with Five lakh rupees by the Gujarat Cricket Association. And the Baroda lad didn't believe his happy state of mind. “Personally, the way it is going I will like to continue. I am bowling well. And also fielding well, even the batting is going okay. But I will try to do better,†says Pathan. If past records matters, then Irfan Pathan should do very well against Pakistan. In 14 matches against Pakistan he has taken 26 wickets and scored 243 runs and these numbers will push him to fulfill the job of an all rounder. “Whatever the team management decides, I'll be ready to perform in that role. I'm ready for what it has being giving me,†the Vadodara all-rounder says. As a bowler Irfan has always relied on swing and seam rather then pace. And the question about increase in pace doesn't goes very well with him. "What speed you want me to bring. Should I bowl at 160 or 170? If you are not happy with 135 km per hour for a medium pace bowler, maybe you do not understand cricket. Just because the wicketkeeper is standing up to the stumps doesn’t mean that the speed is not enough. I'm still bowling between 130-135," Pathan reacted. It's time now for him to deliver yet again. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/you-want-me-to-bowl-at-160-or-170/27670-13.html

Irfan needs to kick it up a notch. 130 is hardly anything worth talking about, Jhulan Goswami bowls at better pace. Unless you are in high 130s and low 140s you are not going to be a world beater. Sure you shall have a good series here and there but I doubt at highest level batsmen feel any fear facing a 130-135 kmph bowler. Plus it is not that he is 35, he is only 23 for crying out loud!. I would be happy to see him bowl at 140-145 consistently..just an extra yard or two shall be perfect.

Irfan must not worry about his pace. As long as he is clocking 130-135kph, he will be effective. He must worry about his accuracy & swing. These are his biggest weapons, not pace. Even when he was bowling in the 120s, he was picking wickets. As he picks more wickets, his morale and rhythm will improve & so will his pace. OTOH if he strives for more pace (like he did back in BG trophy 2004), he may injure himself, which will reset his career by another 2 years. Sreesanth, Munaf, Zaheer & RPS are better built for the 140s range. Am happy with Pathan bowling in the 130s

Irfan must not worry about his pace. As long as he is clocking 130-135kph, he will be effective. He must worry about his accuracy & swing. These are his biggest weapons, not pace. Even when he was bowling in the 120s, he was picking wickets. As he picks more wickets, his morale and rhythm will improve & so will his pace. OTOH if he strives for more pace (like he did back in BG trophy 2004), he may injure himself, which will reset his career by another 2 years. Sreesanth, Munaf, Zaheer & RPS are better built for the 140s range. Am happy with Pathan bowling in the 130s
Please dont rest your hopes on Grandfather Patel :D
No one is asking him to bowl at 160-170 - 140s are enough
Dude, this is the fastest he can bowl. When he burst on to the scene, he was bowling 135-140. The famous yorker to gilly was at 140. That too, in Aus(where it is easier to bowl faster, as compared to India) But did you notice, he was bowling at the same speed here too, 135.. on an average. I remember seeing atleast a couple of balls by pathan that were bowled at 140, in the Ind Aus series. I really dont think he can bowl any faster.....

wah! first we couldnt even find a bowler who could bowl in the 130s...now that we have RP, sree and munaf bowling over 140, we even want pathan to bowl 140? leave him alone, his strength is swing, let him concentrate on that....besides i wonder how many of you have actually bowled fast to talk about 'increasing a yard or two of pace'...its not that easy!!!

Dude, this is the fastest he can bowl. When he burst on to the scene, he was bowling 135-140. The famous yorker to gilly was at 140. That too, in Aus(where it is easier to bowl faster, as compared to India) But did you notice, he was bowling at the same speed here too, 135.. on an average. I remember seeing atleast a couple of balls by pathan that were bowled at 140, in the Ind Aus series. I really dont think he can bowl any faster.....
agree - he should then just admit it - and we will be fine with it. There is really no point in being condescending with ur audience by being sarcastic and talking abt 160 - 170 " What speed you want me to bring. Should I bowl at 160 or 170? If you are not happy with 135 km per hour for a medium pace bowler, maybe you do not understand cricket. " That reeks of arrogance. We do understand cricket and realise that the extra 10 kmph ( arnd 145 kmph ) is what helps beat the batsman "for pace". We are not asking him to bowl 160/170 kmph