For Indian Cricket to improve learn from US Baseball

Midfielder

Look I dont know what sports you have played but it definitely not baseball. Hitting a 95 mph baseball takes a lifetime of training.The ball gets there in 300 milli seconds and even professional players dont see. They look at the trajectory at two or three points and estimate and swing. It is impossible to hit a baseball.
Then why play it.. i don't think they hit 85% of the time :cantstop: why watch a sport where they hardly connect..

Infielders do. Spread over 160 games do you want players injured because of that. It is a safety issue.I have seen majority of catches dropped by bowler on full blooded drive. We are talking about extremes here which are difficult to cover.
There were not gloves when the game was started. When the gloves were introduced there were no danger either. Even now there is no danger. But you are coming up with your own theories, Good luck trying to convince us. So far not flying.

Then why play it.. i don't think they hit 85% of the time :cantstop: why watch a sport where they hardly connect..
That is a personal choice. Like I said they cannot see the ball through the entire motion and look at couple of points on the trajectory and the shot is a deterministic one based on how brain has processed that information. As you pointed out that is why they miss quiet a bit and it gets more complex as they have to put it in 90 degree arc compared to 360 degrees cricket has. The adage of cricket see the ball hit the ball is not so true here.

There were not gloves when the game was started. When the gloves were introduced there were no danger either. Even now there is no danger. But you are coming up with your own theories' date=' Good luck trying to convince us. So far not flying.[/quote'] It is a huge safety issue and that is the reason. Of course with the webbing being big it does cut down on the errors too. These are facts and not my theories.

^ this thread really piqued my interest. BTW, this is my first ever post on ICF, hello all there was a ranking in a sports mag a while ago about the hardest things to do in all of sport and the number one hardest thing to do was hitting a baseball Midfielder is right. hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do ever and there is a lot more nous that goes into baseball than meets the naked eye that being said, I respect baseball for the raw power required to play it. and indeed , most international cricketers will have a hard time passing the fitness required for an MLB team. baseball is more hit and run. its more random than cricket. However I firmly believe that cricket is a far superior game than baseball in its concept as well as execution and skill. in cricket the ball pitches on the pitch and that creates many possibilities. cricket is simply a beautiful game where the player has a lot of involvement at every step. and a Chris Gayle or a Yuvraj (the old version) will need a LOT of hardwork before they can EVEN THINK of hitting a home run

That is a personal choice. Like I said they cannot see the ball through the entire motion and look at couple of points on the trajectory and the shot is a deterministic one based on how brain has processed that information. As you pointed out that is why they miss quiet a bit and it gets more complex as they have to put it in 90 degree arc compared to 360 degrees cricket has. The adage of cricket see the ball hit the ball is not so true here.
It is even harder to hit a black pepper with a match stick.. For that reason alone that won't be considered a better sport. Weak argument to hype a sport.

A cricket ball looses at least 30% of its pace after hitting the groud. But the difficulty for cricketers is adjusting to how much pace will be lost, how much it will bounce, and how much it will deviate of the pitch. It's totally different to baseball. It's kind of like comparing field hockey to ice hockey just cause the both use hockey sticks. . It is interesting that the aussies are hiring base ballers as fielding coaches though. Maybe that's because in baseball they but a very high emphases on fielding when determining the Value of a player.Having more than 2 average fielder's on a baseball team makes it pretty difficult to win in the mlb

^ this thread really piqued my interest. BTW, this is my first ever post on ICF, hello all there was a ranking in a sports mag a while ago about the hardest things to do in all of sport and the number one hardest thing to do was hitting a baseball Midfielder is right. hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do ever and there is a lot more nous that goes into baseball than meets the naked eye that being said, I respect baseball for the raw power required to play it. and indeed , most international cricketers will have a hard time passing the fitness required for an MLB team. baseball is more hit and run. its more random than cricket. However I firmly believe that cricket is a far superior game than baseball in its concept as well as execution and skill. in cricket the ball pitches on the pitch and that creates many possibilities. cricket is simply a beautiful game where the player has a lot of involvement at every step. and a Chris Gayle or a Yuvraj (the old version) will need a LOT of hardwork before they can EVEN THINK of hitting a home run
I have been trying to tell the non believers but they dont agree. Even I enjoy cricket but baseball is at a different level. Cricket players unfortunately dont even come close.

A cricket ball looses at least 30% of its pace after hitting the groud. But the difficulty for cricketers is adjusting to how much pace will be lost, how much it will bounce, and how much it will deviate of the pitch. It's totally different to baseball. It's kind of like comparing field hockey to ice hockey just cause the both use hockey sticks. . It is interesting that the aussies are hiring base ballers as fielding coaches though. Maybe that's because in baseball they but a very high emphases on fielding when determining the Value of a player.Having more than 2 average fielder's on a baseball team makes it pretty difficult to win in the mlb
This is a concept cricket watchers dont understand/agree. Baseball never compromises on fielding standards irrespective of how a great a hitter someone is. Even if tendulkar is having a bad day they will not put him on the field. Moreover the balls sometime come at 60%.

For all the funny stuffs you have been saying in this thread I thought I had to return the favor
My stuff is all serious. If you are around 10 years from now what I say will happen to some extent. It takes time . As the poster above mentioned ball loses 30 % and unfortunately it is 40 %. Those balls are barely coming at you.

My stuff is all serious. If you are around 10 years from now what I say will happen to some extent. It takes time . As the poster above mentioned ball loses 30 % and unfortunately it is 40 %. Those balls are barely coming at you.
Losing pace to 60%, not using gloves because they will get killed, yes that was some seriousl discussion. Now reduced to 40%. Let us see a baseball player faces cricket ball without helmet as they have super reflexes.

Losing pace to 60%' date=' not using gloves because they will get killed, yes that was some seriousl discussion. Now reduced to 40%. Let us see a baseball player faces cricket ball without helmet as they have super reflexes.[/quote'] Losing 40% of pace is same as 60% of original velocity. Why do you want to take a chance? Mistakes do happen. Like I mentioned no bseball player has the luxury to see the entire pitch of the ball. Never.

Losing 40% of pace is same as 60% of original velocity. Why do you want to take a chance? Mistakes do happen. Like I mentioned no bseball player has the luxury to see the entire pitch of the ball. Never.
I remember Boycott saying he could not see a single ball from Holding in an over. This was after pitching. Even Sunil gavaskar admitted that he faced such spells. Those were after pitching.

I remember Boycott saying he could not see a single ball from Holding in an over. This was after pitching. Even Sunil gavaskar admitted that he faced such spells. Those were after pitching.
Good point. First that level of pace was new for them so they could not adjust. Baseball players see that level of pace everyday so they can adjust. Most of the time cricket players claim they see the ball as big as football but baseball they most likely do not see the ball for last 8 to 10 feet and just pick up the trajectory on the way. If gavaskar and Botcot could not see 60 mph ball how are they supposed to see 90 mph ball.

Some words of a neurologist: This is what makes breaking pitches so difficult to hit. Our brain allows us to judge the projected path of the ball based on the trajectory it has as it leaves the hand, but the change in that trajectory actually puts the ball in a different location. The best hitters can judge what pitch they're likely to get in any given situation, and can sometimes tell from the release and movement what they're likely to see, and so their brains can compensate for the movement of the pitch by taking these things into account. This is one of the reasons a really good hitter in baseball is someone who only fails to get a hit 7 out of 10 times. Hitting a major league pitch is one of the most difficult things to do in sports. Baseball coaches even know which part of the brain sees the image and processes it. It is at a different level. In cricket you still see the ball. That is why I was expecting a honest discussion not butt hurt reactions.

Some words of a neurologist: This is what makes breaking pitches so difficult to hit. Our brain allows us to judge the projected path of the ball based on the trajectory it has as it leaves the hand, but the change in that trajectory actually puts the ball in a different location. The best hitters can judge what pitch they're likely to get in any given situation, and can sometimes tell from the release and movement what they're likely to see, and so their brains can compensate for the movement of the pitch by taking these things into account. This is one of the reasons a really good hitter in baseball is someone who only fails to get a hit 7 out of 10 times. Hitting a major league pitch is one of the most difficult things to do in sports. Baseball coaches even know which part of the brain sees the image and processes it. It is at a different level. In cricket you still see the ball. That is why I was expecting a honest discussion not butt hurt reactions.
I am still not understanding what you are trying to prove Learning full tosses from baseball how will it help you negotiate a leg spin, off spin . In Cricket full toss is a bad ball. In baseball that is the only ball. Only advantage they have is smaller bat. They don't take stance. They don't have to waste time backlift as the bat is already in up position since they don't have to worry about yorkers. So that significantly helps you react faster. It is hard only because bat is smaller. Someone with cricket bat would meet that baseball 100 out of 100 times. Same way someone batting against cricket ball without technique would not meet the cricket ball with baseball bat 8 out of 10 times. If you give baseball bat to a cricketer and baseball player to play against cricket balls, it is most likely a cricketer will connect significantly higher. Cricketers have much superior reflexes than a baseball players as they are used to playing all different deliveries. Cricketer may not hit like a steriod filled baseball player. But he is most likely to meet the ball on the middle of the bat than a baseball player.