Tendulkar turns down captaincy

beetle

Oooooh' date=' that old chestnut.....I repeat I am NOT a Sachin basher, just call a spade a spade.. and hope Sachin plays for the right reasons and plays well enough to win games for India and plays ONLY as long as he is doing this[/quote'] And I was just born, I believe you :two_thumbs_up:
Problem with Tendulkar was that he was never able to convince his team-mates to put up hard work like him... Tendulkar as a captain, could have done what rahul did recently...winning test series in WI.. He was 30 odd runs close....to make history as captain..and that too against formidable windies team with likes of Ambrose and Walsh in there...He did not have have Srinath and his pace attack included likes of Kuruvilla and Dodda Ganesh... He would have been first captain to win test match in SA, but rain spoiled it. If I were him, I would take up this challenge of taking captaincy one more time knowing fully well that this is much more improved team that travels well and it will be easier to lead them...I have opportunity to resurrect. The guy is really selfless and even denied that opportunity to himself. His only agenda is to play and score runs for the country at the moment.
u r absolutly rite man....he wants to play for india but not for himself...he could have taken the captaincy but at present he wants focus on test cricket and his batting i guess...

Only Indian fans could somehow turn this around and call it being selfish. A player being offered the highest honour in Indian cricket and turning it down , saying that a younger captain deserves the chance. However, people start looking at his choice of words , he said "It is not the right time for me" ... he was being polite. Imagine you were offered a job, but felt that you didnt really want that particular job ... are you going to tell the boss, "No i dont want this stupid job." ... you be polite, and well-mannered and say something like "I dont feel its the right job for me" or "Its not the right time for me" or something. In the same way, Sachin was being polite. No player that truly respects the position of captain would come out and blatantly say ... "No! I dont want to be captain", because deep down, every player wants to captain his country. However the haters will focus on the words "right-time" and believe that he will swoop in 1 year later and steal the captaincy ... lol. Its no wonder that other countries laugh at how fickle some Indian fans are. For all this man has done for Indian cricket, its amazing how much contempt people treat him with. I cant imagine the West Indian fans doing the same with Lara, or the Lankans doing so with Murali, or South Africa with Kallis. Sachin has put himself in a situation where if he doesnt perform the selectors are not under any obligation to keep him in the team, but I guess that is a selfish decision. He should have done the selfless thing and except the extra money and power.

Only Indian fans could somehow turn this around and call it being selfish. A player being offered the highest honour in Indian cricket and turning it down , saying that a younger captain deserves the chance. However the haters will focus on the words "right-time" and believe that he will swoop in 1 year later and steal the captaincy ... lol. Its no wonder that other countries laugh at how fickle some Indian fans are. For all this man has done for Indian cricket, its amazing how much contempt people treat him with. I cant imagine the West Indian fans doing the same with Lara, or the Lankans doing so with Murali, or South Africa with Kallis.
And only in India can a player who has been scoring at a solid 34 runs in past 20 odd Tests can be bestowed with skippership. I am pretty darn sure you didnt read this post by Bumper so here it is again.
For your reading pleasure folks Batsmen ordered by their Test averages since Ind-SL 2005 minus Bangladesh KKD Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 4 8 1 364 52.00 0 4 1 Dravid Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 18 33 5 1406 50.21 3 9 0 Ganguly Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 10 17 2 618 41.20 0 4 1 Jaffer Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 13 25 0 992 39.68 3 5 1 Laxman Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 17 30 5 974 38.96 2 7 2 Sehwag Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 15 26 1 891 35.64 2 2 5 Irfan Pathan Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 10 14 0 476 34.00 0 4 2 Dhoni Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 20 29 2 915 33.88 1 5 1 Yuvraj Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 11 17 2 491 32.73 1 2 3 Tendulkar Tests Inn NO Runs Ave 100 50 0 15 25 1 762 31.75 1 4 1 Tendulkar is our WORST TEST BATSMAN, in the last two years, finishing below Irfan Pathan, Dhoni & Yuvraj interms of average. Even interms of no. of runs he is SIXTH in the list, which doesnt say much, as people below him viz -- KKD, Ganguly, Yuvraj & Pathan, have all played far fewer no. of innings
Yes only in India would be the WORST Test Batsman in last two years even considered to be a captain. And of course only in India can the fans who question Sachin's "greatness" be tagged as hater and fickle. xxx
So who is knocking Tendulkars door..... Seriously you dont drop Tendulkar after a great England tour ?
No. He should have been dropped atleast 3 series back. :tounge_smile:
2004/05 against Australia 9th in batting average :tomato: 2004/05 against SA 6th in batting average 2004/05 against Pakistan 4th in batting average 2005/06 against SL 5th in batting average 2005/06 against Pakistan 10th in batting average :tomato: 2006 England SRT 9th in batting averages :tomato:
He should have been dropped much before. Anyway its all old debate now, not sure if we want to restart it. xxxx
And only in India can a player who has been scoring at a solid 34 runs in past 20 odd Tests can be bestowed with skippership. I am pretty darn sure you didnt read this post by Bumper so here it is again. Yes only in India would be the WORST Test Batsman in last two years even considered to be a captain. And of course only in India can the fans who question Sachin's "greatness" be tagged as hater and fickle. xxx
I did read that post but initially chose to disregard it and overlook the ignorance evident in it, but since you keep persisting with let me explain that you seem to not care about the fact that he spent the majority of 2005 and 2006 injured. Yes his form hasnt been the best between the Lankan series in 05 and the SAF series in 06, but since then his form has been better, and anyone who actually watched the England series instead of looking at some skewed statistics will know his form was much better then. He was timing the ball much better than he was before, his placement was better, his feet movements were more assertive, and in both the 2nd test and 3rd test in the 1st innings, once he got a start and got past 40 or 50, he was a lot more attacking. However, I guess this doesnt mean much to people who would look at some meaningless stats like that and neglect the context. He is a proven performer who regardless of some skewed statistics without any context is along with Dravid our best test match batsman. To prove how skewed your stats are ... Look at the 2 people leading the stats. 1. Dinesh Kartik - he has played 4 matches - is that enough to really count towards any meaningful stat? If you feel that is then I should probably just stop arguing now because you will never get it. 2. Rahul Dravid - averaging 50 since the lankan series at the end of 05 but now , out of our top 7, Dravid is in the worst of form. Can you honestly tell me that Dravid is our in form test bat at the moment? However, why do we keep Dravid? Same reason we keep Tendulkar, because they are technically near-perfect, proven performers, who have done the job against the best teams in the world before. Tendulkar's form has gotten better as the year has gone on , and everyone knows what Dravid is capable of, and he is extremely important. The fact that you said Sachin shouldnt be dropped after the England series but should have been dropped 3 series back indicates that even you see his form has improved in the England series. Let me prove to you that I can show how stats like that can skew a players ability. In my opinion, Matthew Hayden (even though I hate the guy) is one of the best test openers of all time, however between the India series in 2004 and the 4th test in the Ashes series in 2005 ... here were his stats * 16 matches * 842 runs @ 30.07 * HS: 70 now it doesnt take a genius to figure out that he was out of form ... There were no injuries ... he was just genuinely out of form. However, Australia kept him in the side and the next game he scored 138 from 303 balls, and took 2 days to complete that innings. I can just imagine if Sachin did that people would go on for days about how his strike rate was so low, and how he batted for a draw, and how its time to bring in some aggressive people into the side. If it were up to you , you would probably have the T20 team (I will exclude Yuvraj and Dhoni from the group) as the Test team and then once the sugar wears off the real skill level will be exposed quite quickly.
SRT standing up for Dravid is contrary to what was said after Dravid's ouster. Wasn't SRT responsible for getting Dravid out of the team in order to get captaincy?
One day history will be written as " Dravid,Selfish back sabber and Sachin ,A true cricketer." If a chance is given Dravid will again back stab Sachin and Ganguly.Though Dravid is equally responsible for world cup lose ,he had conveniently rested Sachin and Ganguly.Now when he is rested people are making hues and cries.The another selfish, Manjrekar is the culprit.If you take the total number of runouts involved these two selfish back stabbers will top the list.When Sachin was batting at 194 this selfish declared to save his record in the pretext of winning the match.But at Ranji trophy he batted so slow to safe his place and face.People still believes he is God sent man:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:.What a pity.He can bat till he is not out to boost his batting average irrespective of strike rate.A lot of half boils still believe cricket is played in paper rather than in the field.:finger: