Laptop Problem ! Urgent Help req!

Dirty_South

Whenever I start my laptop , I get an error - winlogon.exe has encountered a problem and needs to b closed and my laptop restarts automatically.... What shud I do ???:confused_smile: ...btw it has XP pro.
I'm having a similar problem with my laptop...It's a Dell Inspiron 1405 with Windows XP Pro....Everytime I shut down the explorer.exe file crashes and errors out and stalls the shutdown process until I kill it. Argh!! Time to rm -rf Windows!!

Whenever I start my laptop , I get an error - winlogon.exe has encountered a problem and needs to b closed and my laptop restarts automatically.... What shud I do ???:confused_smile: ...btw it has XP pro.
Try restarting in safe mode. Then install spybot search and destroy, AdAware, CCleaner....AVG or Avast anti virus software. Run them all and hopefully that will fix it. If safe mode does not let you in either then mabye you need to nuke your OS....reinstall :pray:

Try restarting in safe mode. Then install spybot search and destroy' date=' AdAware, CCleaner....AVG or Avast anti virus software. Run them all and hopefully that will fix it. If safe mode does not let you in either then mabye you need to nuke your OS....reinstall :pray:[/quote'] Safemode with Networking is working gr8! Rite now I'm using my laptop. Installed Kaspersky anti virus and performing a full system scan. BTW , had similar prob wid my other laptop and gave it to a shop , he made a complete mess by deleting some imp files ! Its almost 3.30 AM now and I'm not gonna sleep till this prob is solved :two_thumbs_up:

Safemode with Networking is working gr8! Rite now I'm using my laptop. Installed Kaspersky anti virus and performing a full system scan. BTW , had similar prob wid my other laptop and gave it to a shop , he made a complete mess by deleting some imp files ! Its almost 3.30 AM now and I'm not gonna sleep till this prob is solved :two_thumbs_up:
Yes but run those three other softwares as well. :eyedance:

I have a question or two for all you computer nerds. A friend of mine has this crazy problem with hard disk space. I have been looking at her laptop for a while now, and this problem confounds me completely - i have never seen anything like it. OK, this is the problem. She has two drives in her laptop - a 12 GB drive (C drive) and a 21 GB drive (E drive). She has completely run out of space on the C drive - well, almost. She only has about 10 MB worth of space left on that drive - Windows has suspended system restore, and some applications just don't work. She has used every option that was available to her - disk defrag, compressing every single file, shifting her entire my documents folder from C to E along with several other files which were taking up space. None of these actions solve her C drive problem, because the moment she starts to browse the internet all the new temp files/cookies get downloaded into that C drive and the space just keeps getting reduced over and over again - back to the drawing board and all that. My questions are; 1) is there any way she can move that temp file from C to E, or just make the E drive the "main" disk drive ?...2) If she buys an external hard-drive, would the computer be able to read it ? I ask because whenever she sticks one of her USBs in there, it doesn't read. I think the C drive needs a certain amount of space to read insertion of external hardware. Any suggestions or possible solutions?

I have a question or two for all you computer nerds. A friend of mine has this crazy problem with hard disk space. I have been looking at her laptop for a while now, and this problem confounds me completely - i have never seen anything like it. OK, this is the problem. She has two drives in her laptop - a 12 GB drive (C drive) and a 21 GB drive (E drive). She has completely run out of space on the C drive - well, almost. She only has about 10 MB worth of space left on that drive - Windows has suspended system restore, and some applications just don't work. She has used every option that was available to her - disk defrag, compressing every single file, shifting her entire my documents folder from C to E along with several other files which were taking up space. None of these actions solve her C drive problem, because the moment she starts to browse the internet all the new temp files/cookies get downloaded into that C drive and the space just keeps getting reduced over and over again - back to the drawing board and all that. My questions are; 1) is there any way she can move that temp file from C to E, or just make the E drive the "main" disk drive ?...2) If she buys an external hard-drive, would the computer be able to read it ? I ask because whenever she sticks one of her USBs in there, it doesn't read. I think the C drive needs a certain amount of space to read insertion of external hardware. Any suggestions or possible solutions?
Preferrably, do it this way: 1.Back-up the data (shouldn't be that hard- if she doesnt have a DVDR, get her to send her files to someone else's computer on msn transfer- will take a day or two at most but nothing that overnight transfers wont solve). 2. Re-install windows and use its partition manager to partition the 12 Gb drive into 3 partitions : 1 6Gb partitions, 1 5 Gb partition and the last bit being 1 Gb partition. Use one of the 6Gb partition to be Windows home drive. 3. Reformat the 21Gb drive and designate it as media folder with NTFS file system. 4. Install ubuntu ( fairly easy- download it, then burn it as ISO on disk) and install ubuntu in the 2nd 6Gb partition ( 5Gb one). When ubuntu installs, it will ask you to pick the type of format you want for its home drive, pick JFS, since Ubuntu loves JFS paritition. 5. Format the 1 Gb one as JFS too and leave it as your JFS RAM overflow drive. 6. Problem solved. This will solve the problem you are quoting, 100.00% garantee.