Muralitharan hits back at Warne

bharat297

'He can't keep his mouth shut' Muralitharan slams 'miserable' Warne Cricinfo staff November 15, 2007 spacer.gif319552.jpg?alt=1 Shane Warne and Muttiah Muralitharan in happier times © Getty Images Muttiah Muralitharan has lashed out at Shane Warne, calling him a "miserable man" and declaring he would not speak to Warne at the unveiling of the new trophy that bears their names. Muralitharan was angered by Warne's suggestion that the ICC should have Muralitharan's bowling action analysed during a Test match, despite the fact he has repeatedly passed laboratory tests. "I am very disappointed with what he said," Muralitharan told the Sydney Morning Herald. "He can't keep his mouth shut because he wants to keep making these comments. He must be a miserable man in his life. But that is his opinion and there is nothing I can do about it." Warne is the world's leading Test wicket-taker with 708 victims but Muralitharan needs only seven more to overtake him and that could happen in the second Test, which starts in Hobart on Friday. The rift comes at an awkward time after the two champions were honoured with the Warne-Muralitharan Trophy, which will be held by the winner of the Australia-Sri Lanka Test series and will be unveiled by the pair on Thursday. "Maybe he just doesn't want me to pass his record," Muralitharan said. "Why else would he keep saying these things? I will shake his hand [at the ceremony] and go straight off the field instead of trying to be friendly." Warne wrote in his News Ltd column on Tuesday that checking Muralitharan's action during a match would offer "peace of mind" to everybody in world cricket and "surely Murali would want that". The comments came after a newspaper article on the weekend in which Warne's mentor, Terry Jenner, floated the idea of in-match testing for Muralitharan. "Terry Jenner played cricket a long time ago and cricket is very different now," Muralitharan said. "So it doesn't matter what he says. But Jenner and Warne are still always commenting, commenting, commenting. It makes them feel important." Muralitharan told the paper he and Warne were not on good terms before these latest problems, as he believed Warne considered Muralitharan had collected too many cheap Test wickets against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Although 163 of Muralitharan's Test victims have been Zimbabwe or Bangladesh players, he also has an outstanding record against England and South Africa and says he can only play whoever Sri Lanka is scheduled to face. Muralitharan said he had no comment about the decision to use his name alongside Warne's on the new trophy. "That was the decision between the boards of Sri Lanka and Australia," he said. "I cannot say anything else." © Cricinfo

Murali should worry about his cricket and the upcoming test. BTW, Warne did not make any comments questioning Murali's action - he said it would be for the best though if he was proven in a match situation, which is very true. Because if he is tested in a match situation and comes clean, that's the ultimate vindication. NOBODY can complain about a 'lab test' and 'only partial effort' or such, he's proven that what he bowls in a game is perfectly legal. Ultimate victory for Murali, as there's no further proof that can be brought to call him a chucker. If he's tested in a match situation and is proved guilty of throwing, then that would also seal the debate. Best way to handle it, even if one side will no longer have an argument to make.

Isn't murali going Sree-sonic way now ? More gibberish and less performance ? Murali should not worry about Warne's comments, instead he should break his record in the 2nd test, if he "really intends" to shut up Ausi's once and forever.

Copying and pasting from an earlier thread

Sydney: Sri Lankan off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan has said that Sri Lanka had no intention of following India's aggressive tactics. Speaking at Queensland Cricket's annual Test match luncheon in Brisbane, Muralitharan, who is only eight Test wickets away from Shane Warne's world record of 708 wickets, said: "(We want) to play decent cricket and not (approach it) like the Indians. We'd like to play our game. The challenge is not to think about the end results." His teammate and fast bowler Chaminda Vaas said: "We are not Indians. We are not going to play like the Indians did. But when it comes to cricket you have to play aggressive cricket. We are here to play good cricket and play smart cricket, and we received the spirit of the game award, so we want to play good cricket and prove we can do something." Meanwhile, reports in the local media say Muralitharan was taunted "chucker" during the recent practice match at the Adelaide Oval in south Australia. He told the Sydney Morning Herald (SMH), "Some people have just asked for autographs and have been nice, but there have been one or two people who have shouted 'chucker' in the street and during the game in Adelaide. They are just younger guys, and I don't really pay much attention to it." According to media reports, Muralitharan has discussed security measures with Cricket Australia officials. Uniformed officers will be positioned near the boundary rope and there will be plain-clothes policemen in crowd trouble spots. "I don't care if people say things to me during games, but it is a problem if they are throwing things. I met some of their (CA's) security people and I am happy with what they told me. Hopefully, it will be a good series," he was quoted as saying in the SMH.
Gee... big talk there Murali... glad you managed to go with that for ONE WHOLE TEST!

Warne, Murali patch up at trophy unveiling ceremony The two spin wizards patched up at the unveiling ceremony of the Warne-Muralitharan Trophy. More... After a shrill war of words in which Muttiah Muralitharan called Shane Warne a "miserable man", the two spin wizards on Thursday patched up at the unveiling ceremony of the Warne-Muralitharan Trophy, describing the entire episode a case of "miscommunication". The controversy started after Warne, in his column for a newspaper, suggested that Muralitharan's action be tested in match conditions, which infuriated the Sri Lankan. Muralitharan hit back saying that the Australian leg-spinner was "a miserable man" and threatened to snub the Warne during the trophy unveiling ceremony. "Maybe he just doesn't want me to pass his record. Why else would he keep saying these things? I will shake his hand (at the ceremony to unveil the trophy) and go straight off the field instead of trying to be friendly," he had said. However, the two laughed off the controversy at the function in Hobart on Thursday, saying that it was nothing more than a misunderstanding. "There is no issue at all. I thought he said something about my bowling action and then I said he was a miserable man," Muralitharan was quoted as saying by ‘ The Melbourne Herald Sun’ . "We just talked to each other and patched it up. It was a miscommunication more than anything else," he added, seeking to put an end to the controversy. Warne also clarified that he did not mean to target Muralitharan and his comment was a general suggestion, which should be considered to avoid controversies. "I spoke to Murali about it this morning so I'm pretty happy actually, I'm not that miserable. I've got absolutely no issue with Murali and his action or anything like that," he said.

The best answer by Murali should be taking a 5 fer in the next test match and get to the record number of wickets quick. He can then say as much as he likes about Warne. It's not good to lose focus in the middle of a series. As for Warne, well how much credibility his words get outside Australia?