Yuvraj is a must for tests

Guest dada_rocks

That used to be the case.. Unless pitch is big turner Yuvraj is fine with it.. Yuvraj's unbdoing is his lack of patiennce in test cricket. bowl five realtively wide bowls and put one in corridor of uncertainty yuvraj will oblige. Whether he scores a hundred or not depends on how many lives he gets and how many times his bat misses those edges.. Spin is hardly a worry..

Secondly' date=' before picking Yuvraj, all of us would like to see whether he can concentrate for longer period or not (ie, for more than 60-70 overs). Yuvraj can show us that in the FC matches.[/quote'] Not that i care whether he gets picked or not (i'd like him to warm the bench for now) but this whole exercise would be pointless. For two reasons; 1. Yuvraj scored a bucket-load of runs in the 2003/04 FC season - he won North Zone the Duleep Trophy by scoring two hundreds in the final vs East Zone. In 8 matches played that season, he scored 698 runs @ 69.80 with 3 hundreds and 2 fifties. That was the last season he played a few FC matches. He also forced his way back into the ODI team back in '02 (remember, he was dropped) by scoring runs in FC - in 9 matches, he aggregated 802 runs @ 53.46 with 3 hundreds and 4 fifties, the highlight being a double hundred vs South Zone in the Duleep. Since then he hasn't played much FC cricket. 2. Based on the stats above, i seriously doubt that Yuvraj needs to prove himself by playing Ranji trophy matches. In the two full seasons he played, he amassed plenty of runs. Are we naive enough to believe that an international class player like Yuvraj Singh can't score runs against Orissa and Himachal Pradesh when he has already slaughtered some of the best bowlers in the world ? Pretty FC stats mean nothing to me. I have seen PLENTY of domestic kings come and go - they all looked out of their depth. They get accustomed to playing on those dead Indian pitches, against those scrawny, good for nothing 120 kmph bowlers - hence why most of them can't make the step up. This isn't Australia. Indian batsmen can beat up on sh itty bowlers that play in the Ranji Trophy, but international level is approx. 10x harder. Look at how batsmen like Ganguly went for an entire season scoring nothing, but when they played for Bengal or East Zone - surprise, surprise, they suddenly started scoring runs and BIG runs too. Or Zaheer Khan, who averaged what ? 12 ? in the Duleep Trophy before he was picked for the Pakistan tour. He still looked like a sh itty bowler in Pakistan - made you wonder how he managed to have such super human figures.
2. Based on the stats above, i seriously doubt that Yuvraj needs to prove himself by playing Ranji trophy matches. In the two full seasons he played, he amassed plenty of runs. Are we naive enough to believe that an international class player like Yuvraj Singh can't score runs against Orissa and Himachal Pradesh when he has already slaughtered some of the best bowlers in the world ?
Don't think he needs to prove himself. But instead of warming the bench it'd be nice if he comes in the test mode and bats in the longer version for longer period. Not that the attacks are menacing, but one has to concentrate for long hours in longer version. And it'll be good for him, and for Indian team!
Don't think he needs to prove himself. But instead of warming the bench it'd be nice if he comes in the test mode and bats in the longer version for longer period. Not that the attacks are menacing' date=' but one has to concentrate for long hours in longer version. And it'll be good for him, and for Indian team![/quote'] That is fair enough, but you need squad players in case one of the starting XI get injured.

He will be very handy for India for the upcoming tests vs Aus. He is one of the FEW resources that india has when it comes to tackling swing + pace. Lets hope yuvi lives up to expectations :two_thumbs_up:

he can definitely wait.who the fak is tony greig to comment on the team .Honestly i dont even think dhoni deserved to be a regular on the test team and what bewilders me is that he is the vice captain, once again guys im going to have to support laxman, a class player, a proven matchwinner, and a good player against superior bowling attacks should have atleast been vice captain. If you guys havent read the article on Laxman in cricinfo by Mukul Kesavan, he talks about Laxman bein an endangered species, i thinks its an absolutely legitimate term describing laxmans situation. Im sorry i dont think dhoni deserves to be a regular, in test match cricket Dinesh Karthik has even done better than Dhoni ive never seen dhoni perform outside of india in his usual prominent way. All ive seen this guy become is a poster boy for indian cricket which makes people go crazy in a country like India, For a gentlemen like Laxman i only wish him the best, the only way for a player like him to progress in his career is too score runs, big hundreds, hundreds such as the 178, 167, 148, which shuts his critics up such as Sunny Gavaskar who made stupid comments about him during his innings. I hope he makes the most out of the Pakistan tour, because going to Australia without Laxman is like India going to war without a missle.

but just to prove some statistics that should make Laxman a regular for the Test Series An Average of 51.25, in England. A great outing with Lancashire, this guy almost single handidily brought a championship to Lancashire. Many people dont even give him recognition for that

Look first of all i have nothing against yuvraj hes a great player he and Laxman are my favorite players in cricket. I just feel like its not right that the assumption should be Laxman out if yuvraj in. I feel like it should be based on performance no player should have to cope with the pressure that a player is just waiting in the balcony to take his place. Thats just outrageous. yuvraj will be an exception player in test cricket no doubt, kesavan is wrong for saying that. I think Yuvraj will end up being somewhat of a more attacking Chanderpaul in test cricket.

Oh lord. The obsession with one day form propelling Beloved Yuseless Poster Boy into the test team resumes its ugly head again. I repeat, yet again: Test average 33 in 19 games. Inclusive of matches on ridiculously flat tracks v. NZ on debut, v. Zim, Pak and WI away, and a first class average that isn't particularly impressive either. Give me a batsman capable of actually making big scores in the longer form and handling spin well, over an overhyped one day player with about three different shots against spin.

Oh lord. The obsession with one day form propelling Beloved Yuseless Poster Boy into the test team resumes its ugly head again. I repeat, yet again: Test average 33 in 19 games. Inclusive of matches on ridiculously flat tracks v. NZ on debut, v. Zim, Pak and WI away, and a first class average that isn't particularly impressive either. Give me a batsman capable of actually making big scores in the longer form and handling spin well, over an overhyped one day player with about three different shots against spin.
broken_record.jpg