Janata Parivar II

Texan

But if they merge' date=' he would be heading a bigger party with relevance in more states. He might even become their Prime Ministerial candidate.[/quote'] That is one thing , but its not easy to control Laloo,Nitish,Devegowda & sons. If they lost he will lose his strong hold as well. But if Con party completely wiped out then this will be alternative along with aap.

That is one thing , but its not easy to control Laloo,Nitish,Devegowda & sons. If they lost he will lose his strong hold as well. But if Con party completely wiped out then this will be alternative along with aap.
It will be a super disaster even worse than the United Front government. But this is an important step for them to stay politically relevant and not get steamrolled by the BJP juggernaut.

But if they merge' date=' he would be heading a bigger party with relevance in more states. He might even become their Prime Ministerial candidate.[/quote'] A merged party will only create more problems for both Lalu and Mulayam. Both of them, especially Mulayam, are having big troubles coming up within their own family. Mulayam Singh has about 15 members of his family in politics and around 4-5 of these are fighting behind the scenes to get more power and control of the party even as Akhilesh is still CM and thus the natural successor. In Lalu's case he cannot contest elections so there is now a fight between his daughter and his 2 sons for control of the party. Once these two parties (and some others along with these) merge, these problems will become bigger as all these youngsters wanting more power will have to fight with leaders of other parties. This version of the Janata Parivar is doomed form the start - even if they do win in Bihar, I really don't expect the Govt to last long because of big egos and infighting.

I doubt if mim will pose any threat to the sp in the coming elections in 2017. Muslims are rebelling against the congress. Maybe in the future mim will make an impact. The merger too does not make any sense. I do believe the election symbol of one or the other will change.

Manjhi skips meeting at Nitish residence

Bihar Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi Wednesday skipped a meeting of JD(U) members — who had contested the Lok Sabha elections — at the residence of his predecessor Nitish Kumar. Manjhi, who had unsuccessfully contested Gaya parliamentary seat, backed out of the meeting at the last moment to “register his displeasure” with top party leadership over “ambiguity on his continuance as CM”, said sources. The meeting was called to deliberate the party’s February 15 rally of booth-level workers in the state capital. JD(U) president Sharad Yadav, who attended the meeting, sought to downplay the speculation on Manjhi’s replacement. “Manjhi was not the subject of discussion. We gathered here to discuss preparations of our booth-level workers’ meeting at Patna Gandhi Maidan,” he said. Party spokesperson K C Tyagi said Kumar was the “choice of voters and JD(U) legislators would decide if Manjhi should continue as CM or not”. The Chief Minister met Yadav separately late in the evening. Meanwhile, a local court Wednesday ordered the Patna police to lodge a complaint against Yadav for his alleged “offensive remarks against Manjhi’s competence” during a meeting in UP. The court was moved by an LJP Dalit leader. The sources said though party workers have been urging Kumar to return as CM, he did not touch the subject during the meeting. “Nitishji discussed preparation for the Gandhi Maidan rally… This will give an answer to Manjhi and also to the RJD and the BJP about his organisational strength,” said a leader present at the meeting. Manjhi kept himself busy with day’s assignments. When asked if there was any threat to his chair, he shot back: “Has Nitishji told journalists as much? As for me, he has not asked me to resign. I can answer questions on leaving the chair only if Nitishji asks me to quit.” Bihar cabinet minister Brishen Patel said: “Manjhi is here to stay. He is not going and somebody is not coming.”
- See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/manjhi-skips-meeting-at-nitish-residence/#sthash.MqynbtJv.dpuf

rumours of Manjhi joining the BJP growing louder....though these are on twitter. I dont think the BJP will go for him. This guy is a lose cannon and they will lose upper caste support if they do.
Right now BJPs' doors seem to be open for anyone and everyone. Recently Dara Singh Chauhan, a former BSP MP, joined the party - he has several serious criminal cases against him but it doesnt seem to matter for BJP because he may get some more votes.
Also question to the parliamentary experts on ICF can a sitting CM dissolve the assembly before he is axed as a CM? What happens with a rubber stamp CM with not much political support refuses to resign?
On the issue of dissolution of the assembly here's an interesting article: http://www.elections.in/political-corner/when-and-why-is-a-state-assembly-dissolved/ So I guess the CM can ask for the Assembly to be dissolved once he has asked his Cabinet about it and it agrees. A CM is only in power till the time he enjoys the confidence of a majority in the Assembly. In case of Manjhi if JDU wants to remove him (and he wants to stay) then all they have to do is to ask the MLAs to submit a letter to the Governor saying that Manjhi no longer enjoys their confidence as leader. The Governor would then have to ask Manjhi to prove his majority in the House or resign and since Manjhi doesn't have the support of most MLAs even now, he will certainly have to resign. p.s. I don't think they will ask him to resign. Its just a few months to the elections and asking him to resign might hurt their dalit votes.

Also question to the parliamentary experts on ICF can a sitting CM dissolve the assembly before he is axed as a CM? What happens with a rubber stamp CM with not much political support refuses to resign?
from what I know they can only advise Governor to dissolve it. They can never dissolve it by themselves.

Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi refuses to resign, asks party to sack him: Sources

Patna: Sources have claimed that the Janata Dal (United) leadership has asked Jitan Ram Manjhi to step down as Bihar Chief Minister. The development came amid speculation over the return of Nitish Kumar as the chief minister. Sources, however, added that Manjhi has refused to oblige, instead asking the party leadership to sack him. While a majority of JD(U) MLAs are believed to be in favour of Nitish replacing Manjhi as the Bihar chief minister, still there is a section within the party which favours the current CM continuing in post till Assemble polls later this year. Those in favour of Nitish want the change to happen now so that the former CM could campaign for the party instead of Manjhi, who has courted controversy on many occasions. Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad is also believed to have voiced his opinion in favour of Nitish, ahead of the proposed Janata parivaar merger. Nitish had last week denied speculation about Manjhi's ouster. "There is no substance in media speculation over Manjhi's ouster... no discussion took place (with Janata Parivar leaders) during my visit to Delhi nor was it necessary," Kumar had said.
http://zeenews.india.com/news/bihar/bihar-cm-jitan-ram-manjhi-refuses-to-resign-asks-party-to-sack-him-sources_1541686.html

So considering we have a a governor from the BJP in the form of Mr Tripathi' date=' if Manjhi asked him to dissolve parliament (in writing) there is nothing stopping him from a legal standpoint in going ahead with it right?[/quote'] I don't think the CM can ask for Dissolution unless he has the backing of the Cabinet and in case of Manjhi, he certainly won't have the backing of the cabinet. Though I am sure Manjhi wont even try it because if he does, there will be another constitutional crisis (like the one that happened in 2005) in Bihar and his career will be finished. Haha...fun times ahead. Lots of defections/resignations coming up in the run up to the Bihar election.

I don't think the CM can ask for Dissolution unless he has the backing of the Cabinet and in case of Manjhi, he certainly won't have the backing of the cabinet. Though I am sure Manjhi wont even try it because if he does, there will be another constitutional crisis (like the one that happened in 2005) in Bihar and his career will be finished. Haha...fun times ahead. Lots of defections/resignations coming up in the run up to the Bihar election.
so what happens to manjhi? Lets assume he is asked to resign. Then Jd(u) and RJD manages to win the election. Does he become a cabinet ranked minister? Is he moved out of the state into the rajya sabha? He is not asked to resign and serves term out. Jd(u) RJD managed to win the election. Does he become cabinet ranked minister? Is he moved out of the state into the rajya sabha? Its not looking too good for him right now anyways. There is no way Nitish Kumar or lalu are going to give him a big enough portfolio. The only way he is remaining in his position is that Nitish kumar does not want to lose the SC vote to the BJP combine.

so what happens to manjhi? Lets assume he is asked to resign. Then Jd(u) and RJD manages to win the election. Does he become a cabinet ranked minister? Is he moved out of the state into the rajya sabha? He is not asked to resign and serves term out. Jd(u) RJD managed to win the election. Does he become cabinet ranked minister? Is he moved out of the state into the rajya sabha? Its not looking too good for him right now anyways. There is no way Nitish Kumar or lalu are going to give him a big enough portfolio.
Manjhi did not have any political base or support of his own. He has not done a good job as CM. And most importantly, JDU has a better leader than him (Nitish) so Manjhi was always going to be demoted if Janata Parivar formed the Govt in the upcoming elections. As for what happens to him in that case - my guess is that he will be sent to Rajya Sabha. He is 70 years old and has no support base among the people or the MLAs. Also, many members from RJD/JDU/Cong will have to be accommodated in the Cabinet in the event of a Janata Parivar victory. Though there have been instances of former CMs becoming a Minister in the Cabinet (Ex - Babulal Gaur in MP) I don't see him being made a Minster because of this mini-rebellion by him currently (here according to news reports he has refused to resign).

Manjhi did not have any political base or support of his own. He has not done a good job as CM. And most importantly' date=' JDU has a better leader than him (Nitish) so Manjhi was always going to be demoted if Janata Parivar formed the Govt in the upcoming elections. As for what happens to him in that case - my guess is that he will be sent to Rajya Sabha. He is 70 years old and has no support base among the people or the MLAs. Also, many members from RJD/JDU/Cong will have to be accommodated in the Cabinet in the event of a Janata Parivar victory. Though there have been instances of former CMs becoming a Minister in the Cabinet (Ex - Babulal Gaur in MP) I don't see him being made a Minster because of this mini-rebellion by him currently (here according to news reports he has refused to resign).[/quote'] the way i see it if he would have kept his head down and not said anything he would been given a good post in the new government had they won. Its too late for that now. There is no real guarantee he will even get a rajya sabha seat.

the way i see it if he would have kept his head down and not said anything he would been given a good post in the new government had they won. Its too late for that now. There is no real guarantee he will even get a rajya sabha seat.
Yeah. When someone suddenly gets so much power he tends to think that he is above those actually made him CM, that too without having any political base of his own.

Manjhi did not have any political base or support of his own. He has not done a good job as CM. And most importantly' date=' JDU has a better leader than him (Nitish) so Manjhi was always going to be demoted if Janata Parivar formed the Govt in the upcoming elections. As for what happens to him in that case - my guess is that he will be sent to Rajya Sabha. He is 70 years old and has no support base among the people or the MLAs. Also, many members from RJD/JDU/Cong will have to be accommodated in the Cabinet in the event of a Janata Parivar victory. Though there have been instances of former CMs becoming a Minister in the Cabinet (Ex - Babulal Gaur in MP) I don't see him being made a Minster because of this mini-rebellion by him currently (here according to news reports he has refused to resign).[/quote'] You are not getting the point. he did this inetntionally to project himslef as a Mahadalit leader.Its a caluculated risk. He was used as a rubber stamp so once Nitish work done he planned to throw manjhi anyway,mean time Manjhi tried to use the opportunity , now he can become martyr.