Badrinath should be next in line

bharat297

i think some one here had posted the highlights of india a vs sa a match one day series in the video section. badri played pretty well in that match especially when ind a were struggling and at the end he improvised alot in his shots sa a side i think had langgveldt and morkel playing for them i guess..

I cant remember exactly but one of the games I saw was against Rest Of India. But clearly if he has averaged 57 for nearly 8 years he has faced about the best bowling in India anyway' date=' so I am not sure what u are getting at.[/quote'] Bharat, TN has not won a Ranji since years. Then how did you see Badri playing against ROI? Only Ranji champions get to play against ROI.
he never was a top bowler.
Oh yes he was. Just two seasons back, Jogindar was the top wicket-taker in the Ranji trophy. So performance of batsmen in FC is a tricky thing to judge. I saw Badninath in the one dayer vs SA A. And he was impressive. But then, most of the international bowlers are much better than what SA A possessed.
Oh yes he was. Just two seasons back' date=' Jogindar was the top wicket-taker in the Ranji trophy. So performance of batsmen in FC is a tricky thing to judge. I saw Badninath in the one dayer vs SA A. And he was impressive. But then, most of the international bowlers are much better than what SA A possessed.[/quote'] so whats ur point chandan? He cant play all the world class INternational bowlers without playing for the national team.. and I dont think SA A bowlers are any worse than all the medium pace tundlers in our FC... if not way better.. and SA A bowlers were quite ok.. some of them have played international cricket..
so whats ur point chandan? He cant play all the world class INternational bowlers without playing for the national team.. and I dont think SA A bowlers are any worse than all the medium pace tundlers in our FC... if not way better.. and SA A bowlers were quite ok.. some of them have played international cricket..
My point is that we don't know how he will perform against international bowlers because he has not faced an international class attack as yet. But how are we going to know whether he can play them as confidently as the FC bowlers in Ranji circles, unless we give him a chance to play for the national team? Is test cricket the right format to expose such newbies or should we expose them at ODI level first? There are too many ifs and buts and questionmarks before giving Badrinath a break because Indian FC structure is not good enough to be trusted (no fault of players though!).
My point is that we don't know how he will perform against international bowlers because he has not faced an international class attack as yet. But how are we going to know whether he can play them as confidently as the FC bowlers in Ranji circles, unless we give him a chance to play for the national team? Is test cricket the right format to expose such newbies or should we expose them at ODI level first? There are too many ifs and buts and questionmarks before giving Badrinath a break because Indian FC structure is not good enough to be trusted (no fault of players though!).
Bottom line. Hence why i view fat averages with a great deal of suspicion. This Badrinath Chyawanprash could be the next Devang Mahatma Gandhi - and even Gandhi looked OK against NZ on debut. I find it strange how people can value runs scored against the likes of Joginder Sharma, Sulabh Srivastav and YV Ganeswara Rao just as highly as runs scored against international class bowlers.
I find it strange how people can value runs scored against the likes of Joginder Sharma, Sulabh Srivastav and YV Ganeswara Rao just as highly as runs scored against international class bowlers.
Predator, I am the last person to jump on to FC averages just for the sake of it. I saw that innings, it was a difficult track where Pravin Kumar was appearing at least as dangerous as Zaheer Khan on the Kotla track.
Bottom line. Hence why i view fat averages with a great deal of suspicion. This Badrinath Chyawanprash could be the next Devang Mahatma Gandhi - and even Gandhi looked OK against NZ on debut. I find it strange how people can value runs scored against the likes of Joginder Sharma, Sulabh Srivastav and YV Ganeswara Rao just as highly as runs scored against international class bowlers.
Gandhi averaged 42 in first-class cricket ... Badrinath averages 57 and is still improving. Also in 2006, in a tour of Australia (against Aus A, Pak A and NZL A) , Badrinath averaged 82 during that series ... this was against bowlers like Mitchell Johnson, Ben Hilfenhaus, Michael Kasprowicz, Shane Watson and Shaun Tait ... all either current or future Australian cricketers. Since many of you believe Badrinath is not an ODI player ... domestic cricket is the only way Badrinath can prove himself ... so I ask you ... what more does Badrinath have to do? I have said what more I feel Yuvraj has to do ... I feel Yuvi needs to play some big innings in domestic cricket other than a quick fire 60 here and there. So what more does Badrinath have to do to prove himself?
Gandhi averaged 42 in first-class cricket ... Badrinath averages 57 and is still improving. Also in 2006, in a tour of Australia (against Aus A, Pak A and NZL A) , Badrinath averaged 82 during that series ... this was against bowlers like Mitchell Johnson, Ben Hilfenhaus, Michael Kasprowicz, Shane Watson and Shaun Tait ... all either current or future Australian cricketers. Since many of you believe Badrinath is not an ODI player ... domestic cricket is the only way Badrinath can prove himself ... so I ask you ... what more does Badrinath have to do? I have said what more I feel Yuvraj has to do ... I feel Yuvi needs to play some big innings in domestic cricket other than a quick fire 60 here and there. So what more does Badrinath have to do to prove himself?
Gandhi averaged well over 50 when he first broke into the side back in 1999. Whatever Alright, Badrinath played very well in Top End Series but he didn't really do anything outstanding (i am going by the scorecards here) - guys like Uthappa and Gambhir were also among the runs. Solid 50s and 60's in every match are good, but unfortunately they won't catapult you into the Test team. Selectors don't notice such performances - the stage is "small time" if you know what i mean. He needs to do something spectacular to get in, ie; something like that whirlwind hundred Uthappa scored in the 2005 Challenger, something for the Board President's XI or big hundreds in the Irani Trophy. This the big stage - those are the only matches which selectors watch closely. Pravin Amre got his debut after scoring a massive double hundred in the Irani back in '91, Bahutule got selected after a 14 wicket haul sometime in '97 and more recently Tiwari found his way into the Indian squad after playing a brilliant innings against Mumbai in the Ranji Semifinal, against international class bowlers like Zaheer, Agarkar and Powar. If you are good, you get picked - there is no "glass ceiling". Badrinath hasn't done anything on the "big stage" like the Irani Trophy - in the last one he scored a paltry 29 when Parthiv and Tiwari blazed massive hundreds. Don't expect him to get noticed with a few measly 50s and 60s, and failures like that one in the last Irani trophy. His age is also another factor. Unfortunately in India, age counts. I'd put good money on 22 year olds like Parthiv and Tiwari making the Test squad before he does - they have distinguished themselves on the "big stage" and at their age, they have decade long careers ahead of them. Where did I say he isn't an ODI player ? I'd like to see him play a few ODIs - just to see what the fuss is all about. He made the squad for the ODI series vs AUS, so it's safe to assume that will figure sometime in the future too. If he shows he can play with the big boys, he'll get in. Unless he takes up opening, he won't make the test squad directly - of that i am completely sure.

well said Preds, the big stage thing was a nice comment... for Badri to do well against international teams, he has to prove himself regularly with some big performances. Look at what happened to Ishant Sharma, he just couldn't the pressure of playing against international teams. Many guys experience this... and actually its better for Badrinath to come in with a bang, or else he would just be a passing cloud...

Gandhi averaged well over 50 when he first broke into the side back in 1999. Whatever Alright, Badrinath played very well in Top End Series but he didn't really do anything outstanding (i am going by the scorecards here) - guys like Uthappa and Gambhir were also among the runs. Solid 50s and 60's in every match are good, but unfortunately they won't catapult you into the Test team. Selectors don't notice such performances - the stage is "small time" if you know what i mean. He needs to do something spectacular to get in, ie; something like that whirlwind hundred Uthappa scored in the 2005 Challenger, something for the Board President's XI or big hundreds in the Irani Trophy. This the big stage - those are the only matches which selectors watch closely. Pravin Amre got his debut after scoring a massive double hundred in the Irani back in '91, Bahutule got selected after a 14 wicket haul sometime in '97 and more recently Tiwari found his way into the Indian squad after playing a brilliant innings against Mumbai in the Ranji Semifinal, against international class bowlers like Zaheer, Agarkar and Powar. If you are good, you get picked - there is no "glass ceiling". Badrinath hasn't done anything on the "big stage" like the Irani Trophy - in the last one he scored a paltry 29 when Parthiv and Tiwari blazed massive hundreds. Don't expect him to get noticed with a few measly 50s and 60s, and failures like that one in the last Irani trophy. His age is also another factor. Unfortunately in India, age counts. I'd put good money on 22 year olds like Parthiv and Tiwari making the Test squad before he does - they have distinguished themselves on the "big stage" and at their age, they have decade long careers ahead of them. Where did I say he isn't an ODI player ? I'd like to see him play a few ODIs - just to see what the fuss is all about. He made the squad for the ODI series vs AUS, so it's safe to assume that will figure sometime in the future too. If he shows he can play with the big boys, he'll get in. Unless he takes up opening, he won't make the test squad directly - of that i am completely sure.
Age is a factor ... and his age is perfect ... 27 is a perfect age for Test cricket ... those who think a 22 year old is better suited to International cricket (age-wise) are most-likely kids who have been sucked in by T20. As for the top-end tour ... yes Uthappa and Gambhir had good series as well but Uthappa has a generally poor record in domestic first-class and as for Gambhir ... well he is close to the test team so I fail to see your point (Gambhir has some technical issues anyway ... and Badrinath is much better technically) Basically the fact that you said a "blazing" performance is what is required is enough to prove my case that if we reward "blazing" performances then all we will get is the one-off "blazing" performance. I would rather take someone who has been consistently scoring runs and making big scores for 8 years than someone who can score a "blazing" hundred (I am not referring to Tiwary because I think that guy is a long-term prosepect) I mean its pretty stupid to say he hasnt scored a "blazing" century in a domestic final when he is in a lower-ranked team who rarely make it to the final anyway. Basically , for 7 years now Badrinath has been a consistent run-maker in domestic cricket, he is technically quite solid, he has one of the best averages in domestic cricket. This guy has performed for India A in just about every series he has played for them ... against nearly every country in the world from Aus A, Saf A, NZL A, Pak A, Kenya, etc. * He finished with an average of 89 in the Challenger series with a "blazing" 82 in the semi (he scored 2 fifties in the 3 matches). * He is averaging 104.4 this year in Ranji trophy * He has performed for India A in nearly every tour they have had in recent memory.
for Badri to do well against international teams, he has to prove himself regularly with some big performances. Look at what happened to Ishant Sharma, he just couldn't the pressure of playing against international teams. Many guys experience this... and actually its better for Badrinath to come in with a bang, or else he would just be a passing cloud...
Oh ok ... so Badrinath needs to be MORE consistent :hysterical:. Seriously it was pretty stupid to counter my example of a performer who has done well for 7 to 8 years with someone who has barely played 7 to 8 matches (ok he's played a bit more) Basically I will say that if we reward one-off "blazing" performances in domestic cricket over years and years of consistency then all we will get is inconsistent results. But if "blazing" performances are all that is required ... well wasnt 636 runs from 7 matches in the 2005/06 season a "blazing" performance. Seriously ... I'll take a consistent run-machine over a one-off "blazing" performer anyday.

YOu are totally missing the point. It's not about "blazing hundreds", so read my post again. Nobody gives a f uck about that average of his. Nobody gives a f uck about how many runs he scores against the might of Himachal Pradesh and Saurashtra. I have seen plenty of domestic kings with fatter averages who looked like complete misfits at international level. A fat average in the Ranji IS NOT an indication of true class - you first need to get your head around that before you continue arguing with me. Until this guy distinguishes himself in big matches like the Irani Trophy, the Challengers, or in matches for the Board Presidents' XI against touring sides - ie; matches in which he will face bowlers of INTERNATIONAL CLASS and not worthless trundlers like Kalyankrishna and Ashok Thakur - he won't get a call up. The best players in the domestic circuit play in these matches, so Tamil Nadu being a sh itty team doesn't matter. End of story. When he does that, we will know that he is good enough to play for India. Until then, he should wait in line behind far more deserving contenders like Tiwary and Parthiv.

^ buddy he just played for india A agaist south africa A in 4 day matches and his scores were like 200* and some 145*(dont knw exct number)...so wht else more u want man...and tiwary and patel both are making runs in ranji only...i only saw patel making some run for india A just now and i think in tht same series badri did awsome performance too man...i think he deserve more chance then any other batsman now...