BBC Greatest ODI XI

bulbul

had there not been a player named 'Imran' ' date=' then BBC would have selected Botham in there all time list.at least Imran had a bat avg: better than that of Kapil. Such is England cricket fraternity's attitude to onedayers in general. Their thinking is that just because Botham was brilliant in the ashes, that would make him an automatic choice even for an one day eleven.[/quote'] A few points: 1/ No one said Dev was crap - so no need for you guys to be so defensive here. 2/ The logic of your post if extended is that most experts pick Imran or ITB above Dev - that is what I have been saying. As for this BBC x1 - I have no issue with Kallis. I would prefer the genuine pace and more rounded skills of Imran Khan (clearly many pros agree with me) or even Flintoff but the position of some here is that Dev is the only choice. That is clearly not true. :icflove::icflove: I just call for perspective.
A few points: 1/ No one said Dev was crap - so no need for you guys to be so defensive here. 2/ The logic of your post if extended is that most experts pick Imran or ITB above Dev - that is what I have been saying. As for this BBC x1 - I have no issue with Kallis. I would prefer the genuine pace and more rounded skills of Imran Khan (clearly many pros agree with me) or even Flintoff but the position of some here is that Dev is the only choice. That is clearly not true. :icflove::icflove: I just call for perspective.
anyone who mentions flintoff and Kapil in the same sentence should not talk about perspective...thats like saying Harbhajan is better than Murali. You clearly did not watch cricket in the 80s or is one of 'those' lankans who are racist towards tamils and thus hate indians, coming up with BS reasons to play down anything indian.
A few points: 1/ No one said Dev was crap - so no need for you guys to be so defensive here. 2/ The logic of your post if extended is that most experts pick Imran or ITB above Dev - that is what I have been saying. As for this BBC x1 - I have no issue with Kallis. I would prefer the genuine pace and more rounded skills of Imran Khan (clearly many pros agree with me) or even Flintoff but the position of some here is that Dev is the only choice. That is clearly not true. :icflove::icflove: I just call for perspective.
any one with a little bit of common sense will understand the fact that the 'logic of my post' was to evaluate Kapil's test performance based on the context of the situations he played in. Whether any one accepts with me or not is a different matter. So how did you extract a different logic from my posts?
How many matches has Kallis won for his team, solely with the bat or the ball? As a bowler, he performed well below par against the strongest batting sides like India and Australia. As a batsman, he had a strike rate in the mid 60s for a third of his career. Kallis has played many single handedly match losing knocks for SA. Kallis selection is a clear case of test match records muddling ODI selections. Imran and Klusener are the only ARs who can compete with Kapil for a slot in an ODI XI. Flintoff had his moments of glory, but his peaks were short lived. A player who managed to last a mere 140 ODI matches in an era where 300 is the norm speaks volume of Flintoff's inability for sustained excellence. He was an English great, but he was neither an all time great in tests or ODIs. He was essentially a "four year wonder". Flintoff too, like Kallis got exposed against the best batting sides Australia and India.