difference between an iPod and a run of the mill MP3 player

fineleg

There are many relatively cheap portable MP3 players in the market (small size too). Can someone tell me what is the pros of iPod over a regular MP3 player? (not talking abt nano which has vid capability) Also, i understand iTunes gives you a great repository and all that...but lets assume i dont care for iTunes, and can get free mp3 downloads elsewhere. So, other than iTunes and the brand-name what does iPod give that a basic small portable mp3 player cannot give? Can assume i dont need 8GB of music...

Its a personal choice. I know here many people will say that Ipod is great with slick wheel design etc. But if you are really concerned about sound quality and not about appearance' date=' then you should look at I-River.[/quote'] No - not really concerned with sound quality (in this instance) that much. I am looking at the $$$ aspect of it. What does the extra $$$ get in an audio-only iPod (not the video nano)

Ipod is bling bling' date= and that is it. Stick with a decent much much more cheaper MP3 player.
Yes, this is what I want to confirm if my intuition is correct. Is the iPod basically bling, bling and there are other more value options available? (ignore video etc)

As a complete package (player, loading software, build quality, form factor,bling) ipod is the best. Get the ipod with flash drive. No moving HD inside and less chance of things messing up. I would not buy the classic version which is too expensive plus has moving HD (non flash drive). My classic ipod got screwed exactly one month after the 1year warranty ran out. I did drop it hard plenty of time so must have busted the HD platter. My ishuffle with flash drive has been going strong for many years. So to sum up I recommend- ipod nano if you want control screen + video playback. OR Get ipod shuffle if you want just a small player with no screen. Capacity depends on your budget.

you cannot run DRM protected media on any device other than an ipod. you cannot run AVI videos on the ipod but can on the creative mp3 player. you cannot use the ipod as an external hdd. the ipod is grotesquely over priced and i regret having purchased all the stuff from itunes that i did during the days i felt the need for attonment after years of stealing stuff from p2p file sharing networks. and yeah, dont buy the zune either for it is plagued by the same problems and another... it plays only wmv formate video files. so get busy either transcoding them or dont watch videos. however, i would recommend using itunes to manage your music collection. especially if you are addicted to podcasts such as i.

Just by a cell phone that has mp3 compatibility with touch screen options and with expandable memory option. That'll give you all the options you have on ipod plus heaps more. That's pretty much what I got. BTW u could even invest on a PSP (I think it does play mp3 and has expandable memory) for similar $$$

^^ you can use the Ipod as an external HD.... btw I saw 30GB zunes going for $96 a while back..seemed like a great deal
pardon my faux pas! yes you can use the ipod as an external HDD as can you with the zune (the old ones in particular, the one that you mention here) but you need a hack for that. easily available on the net though. the zune 30GB is what i just bought for my mum, and though it looks a bit like a brick it is just as versatile (or rather limited) as the ipod. the zune store is also DRM protected so anything you buy on the zune store, you cannot run on anything other than the zune player. nonetheless, 30GB for 100 odd is a good deal though you wont find that deal anymore, the prices have been eeked up to 140 now.