Car park call up: Luke Pomersbach, and the best injury ever

Mr. Wicket

Guest HariSampath

Car park call up: Luke Pomersbach Wow...what a lucky guy :omg: Luke Pomersbach made one of cricket's more unusual international debuts when summoned to stand in for Brad *****, who hurt his back in the dressing room, in the minutes before the start of Australia's Twenty20 clash with New Zealand in Perth. Pomersbach, a middle-order batsman from Western Australia, was parking his car when he got a call from Australia's team manager. "I don't think I locked my car and my brother had to drop my stuff off," Pomersbach told Nine before he batted. "I'm still shaking, I can't believe it. I thought it was one of my mates having a joke ... I asked him whether he was joking, and he said 'no mate get yourself to the rooms as quick as you can'." He had no kit so had to borrow some until his brother Gavin was able to rush his own to the ground. Pomersbach settled himself with a couple of singles, launched a fierce six over midwicket and picked up 15 off seven balls before falling from the third-last ball. What is more remarkable is that Pomersbach is currently suspended by his state after breaking a curfew on a trip to South Australia last month and going out on a drinking session. He is not eligible to resume playing for Western Australia until December 14. © Cricinfo http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ausvnz/content/current/story/324950.html

Another thread here related to the same, Hari. http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=80422 Not lucky at all. IMO, a far more deserving pick than Stodge. Pommers has been blitzing runs all over the domestics lately, and against any international opposition he's had the chance to face. IIRC, he made tons in warmup games against South Africa and England recently, and a few days ago produced a matchwinning innings for the CA Chairman's XI against New Zealand. Very young, a tremendous hitter with a great eye, brilliant shots and lots of power and a good head. I hope they fast track him to the ODIs rather than stodgers like *****.

Guest HariSampath

I feel that this is a very good thread potentially...but that thread's "best ever injury" title is perhaps misleading, maybe someone can change/merge these 2 threads

Merged. Returning to the sad sad tale of Stodge... From the CI commentary: "Speaking of tripping, ***** fell over in the dressing putting on his trousers, according to Andrew Symonds, who's at No 4 today"
for our sakes I hope ***** is good to go once the ODI's comes around .. it may help reduce the disparity between us and the Oz
Guest HariSampath

Abbas Ali baig's test debut is perhaps the most unusual one in India . Abbas Ali Baig was a fantastic stroke player who played a few tests for India in the late 1950s and early 1960s. He was an Oxford Blue and was a student at Oxford when India were touring England in 1959. Vijay Manjrekar was injured after the 3rd test and the team management was told by Indian selectors that they could not send a replacement on time. Datta Gaekwad, father of Anshuman Gaekwad was captaining the team and he was persuaded by many players to call Abbas Ali Baig for the 4th test. That series saw many Indian players being hit and injured by the hostile bowling of Trueman, Statham and Rhodes. Gaekwad, Nadkarni, Contractor, Borde, Manjrekar all had fractured ribs, fingers etc, such was the situation and bowling when India were already 0-3 down and lost. Playing Trueman, Rhodes and Illingworth, Abbas Ali Baig scored 26 in his first inngs and when England set a target of 547 to win, Baig coming in at 35-1, took along the score to 141-1 when Contractor was dismissed and there was a mini collapse. Baig was hit on his head by Rhodes and had to retire ht at 173, when he was 85. But he returned the next morning and completed his 100 in the company of Umrigar who also got a 100, and the pair took the score to 321-5, raising visions of an impossible victory, when Baig was runout in a mixup with Umrigar, and India folded up for 373. This was perhaps the most sensational test match debut with Abbas Ali Baig at 20 years becoming the youngest ever century maker on debut for India. A few months later, playing against the Aussie team led by Richie Benaud in India, Baig scored 2 magnificent 50s against Lindwall, Davidson, Mackay and Benaud at Bombay Perhaps he is the first ever Indian cricketer who was publicly kissed by a girl who ran on to the ground at Brabourne stadium when he was returning at Tea having made his 2nd half century of the game in that test . That was a sensational event in Indian cricket at the begining of the swinging sixties.

Aussie handed debut after bizarre incident Luke Pomersbach was in the stadium as a spectator when he received a call from the Australian cricket management asking him to make his debut against New Zealand... More... A boozy night provided an unexpected dividend for Luke Pomersbach when he was called up to make his international debut for Australia in Tuesday's Twenty20 match against New Zealand at the WACA in Perth. The 23-year-old is currently banned from playing in the Australian domestic first-class competition after breaching his team's strict rules on late-night drinking, but the suspension proved a blessing in disguise. While his Western Australian team mates were preparing for their next match, Pomersbach decided to fill in his spare time by watching Tuesday's Twenty20 international from the ground. But when he arrived at the WACA with his girlfriend, he received a surprise call from the Australian team management asking him if he could play because middle-order batsman Brad ***** had suffered a bizarre back injury in the changing room. "The Australian manager rang me just as I was parking my car, and I thought it was one of my mates having a joke," Pomersbach told reporters. "I asked him whether he was joking, and he said 'no mate get yourself to the rooms as quick as you can'." Pomersbach made his way to the dressing room to meet his illustrious team mates then made another big impression when he got the chance to play, scoring a brisk 15 off seven balls, including a six and a four, before falling in the last over of Australia's innings.