BCCI shows the finger to fans, media, cricketing community...

fineleg

BCCI's letter: To Whomsoever (players, fans...) It May Concern the finger _I_ shown Here is what our infamous Niranjan Shah or some chamcha of his had to say - I read this in Indian Express:

“The shortlist is a formality since there was no rule to pick the 16 from the 24.”
Translated: We will do WHATEVER we want - screw you! (to whomsoever it may concern)

Nothing wrong in selecting beyond the probables list. My guess is that Gambhir was supposed to have been the pick to Australia and Chopra was included in the 24 as a lip service gesture for his domestic run. But with Gambhir expectedly and miserably flopping against Pakistan, Sehwag had to be brought in. The team management would also have given their input in the mean time. It's no secret that guys like Dravid, Kumble, Tendulkar, and Ganguly are huge Sehwag backers.

Guys, I really dont think Gambhir is injured. I remember Hari saying quite a few days ago, that Sehwag will be back, because of some mysterious injuries...
Thats interesting...So, if GG is not "really" injured, then won't he play for Delhi? (Ranji) Have selectors told him to not play for Delhi to keep up the "injury drama"? So, he skips ranji matches? Is it *that* bad? (we know bcci is bad) It is possible, which means the BCCI are nothing but goons.
Guest HariSampath
Guys, I really dont think Gambhir is injured. I remember Hari saying quite a few days ago, that Sehwag will be back, because of some mysterious injuries...
Thats true, I did post that after the probables of 24 were announced and Sehwag was not selected. The very fact the 16 was not announced on the scheduled day and instead a group of 24 was named indicated dissent in major selectorial decisions. Board members/sections and those in the selection committee backed by the board ( the anti Vengsarkar faction) had selected a 16 with which Vengsarkar and Kumble were unhappy. The 24 was a compromise formula to prevent a public split on team selection with the Team management/seniors backing Vengsarkar. The BCCI faction succeeded in keeping Sehwag out of the team. Vengsarkar's column wriring issue with the board, and all other Vengsarkar/selectors/BCCI issues then were not entirely resolved at that time , so selection of 16 was postponed. Later events and Team/senior players opinions carried weight during the Bangalore test, and with India test Captain Kumble having earned a towering reputation for the series win and top bowling , he was able to assert himself powerfully and with Vensarkar more than happy to cooperate, the original interest of a part of the selection committe backed by the Team/seniors to have Sehwag for Australia , was achieved . As I knew that this would happen, having been in touch with people who knew what will happen, I said that irrespective of 24, there will be "mysterious injuries" to players to accommodate those who were in the original 16 preferred by Kumble and Vengsarkar. Anything wrong ?
Guest HariSampath
why are they inventing injuries... why not say vs selected becos team mgmt wanted him? why shud bcci official injure GG? this kind of behavior of 'inventing injuries' is wrong...but bcci does weird things! 3 weeks rest?
Thats because sometimes it is more damaging to a cricketer to be labeled "dropped"...when he had to make way for a particular player on request of team management/captain. Kumble himself would be perfectly aware of this, as also the fact later in the tour we have ODIs coming up, and maybe Gambhir had been assured privately by the test captain that he will ensure GG is in the scheme of things for ODIs. So it is in the interests of everyone including GG to allow him to "rest for 3 weeks", and later Kumble may have a quiet word with Dhoni when he turns the team over to Dhoni for the ODIs...( in fact a little bird did tell me this)