Modi versus Chalta hai

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks
http://dailypioneer.com/columnist1.asp?main_variable=Columnist&file_name=swapan%2Fswapan178%2Etxt&writer=swapan In many ways, this month's election was almost a carbon copy of the one held five years ago. Of course, there are differences: The NGOs are not that much in evidence, there is no overt Hindu-Muslim tension on the streets and Modi has no backers in the media. But the substantive part of the election chemistry seems intact. Like 2002, Modi is drawing huge crowds. Initially the media went into denial about his star attraction suggesting that the attendance at his meetings was paltry. I met a reporter of a fiercely anti-Modi TV channel at a frenzied rally on the outskirts of Ahmedabad where the crowd was over 1.5 lakh. "This is a pocket borough", he said dismissively, "the crowds are only to be expected." Three days back, the channel switched tack, acknowledged that Modi was drawing frenzied crowds and then proceeded to proffer intriguing theories of how he was being packaged by professional PR men. I particularly liked the suggestion that even the movement of Modi's fingers during a speech was carefully rehearsed. :hysterical: In 2002, the suggestion that Vajpayee will be unhappy at a Modi victory did the rounds of BJP circles. This month, the RSS has been praised for its staid approach to Hindutva by pundits who earlier saw it as a replica of Hitler's stormtroopers. There has been a contrived controversy over yet another Vajpayee letter and it is being put out that a Modi victory will be tantamount to a BJP defeat. The theory is fascinating but the reality is a little more complex. There are divisions in the Sangh Parivar in Gujarat over Modi but the divide seems to be along horizontal rather than vertical lines. In other words, while a section of the top leadership of a few RSS-linked organisations has chosen to either abstain from the polls or actively support the Congress, the foot soldiers are vocal cheerleaders for Modi. The analogy given by a BJP leader of the saffron split in Gujarat being akin to the 1969 Congress split seems apt: A few top leaders went with the Syndicate but Indira Gandhi took the party rank-and-file. She also carried the voters. There is a final observation. Modi has built a formidable brand around himself. His administrative acumen, selflessness and oratory are undeniably part of the brand attribute. Yet, its cutting edge lies in the fact that Modi is perceived as the man who can take on a rotten establishment, whether in his party, in Delhi or in the media. Modi does not appeal to the chattering classes. That is what makes him formidable and appealing. It is the strength of that appeal that is being tested through the ballot box. The 2007 Gujarat election may result in a lot of wisdom in hindsight. Modi is not fighting Modi; he is pitting himself against a chalta hai culture.

It's a pity that the lone sane voice of the BJP Vajpayee will further be sidelined in his on party with the imminent victory of Modi in Gujarat . With Gujarat and HP victory , the momemtum favors BJP in the next General Election Advani better be wary of Modi ... heck to me he is the real numero uno who can be threat to Advani's dreams of becoming a PM.

It's a pity that the lone sane voice of the BJP Vajpayee will further be sidelined in his on party with the imminent victory of Modi in Gujarat . With Gujarat and HP victory ' date= the momemtum favors BJP in the next General Election Advani better be wary of Modi ... heck to me he is the real numero uno who can be threat to Advani's dreams of becoming a PM.
No pity at all. If anything this will give the true picture of BJP. And I dont even mean the policy. BJP tries to show that it is different to every other party. That their party is very much cadre driven and disciplined. That their party members are essentially workers who obey their higher ups, who obey their higher ups and so on. Ultimately everyone listens to who is the head honcho. The truth of course is completely different. Since the days I have followed Indian politics BJP is essentially Advani/Vajpayee. It did not matter if Mata Schindhia or Murali Manohar Joshi was head of the party. The party basically fought under the duo. Today in Gujrata Modi is the person and BJP is well and truly effed. You will find ample evidence of this in Modi's speech where he refers to himself more than times than he refers to BJP. Not to mention not too many party bigwigs showed up for canvassing. It should be interesting to see how this pans out. If Modi wins he may very well be the strongest person in BJP and old warriors might have to call it a day sooner than later. xxx

There is no denying the star attraction of Modi, he is definitely one of the biggest crowd puller in Indian politics, but its his agenda that has people worried. He defies the norms of what is politically acceptable for a CM to say, he isnt afraid of antagonizing anyone. And his relationship with the RSS is surely a complex one. Many of the top-brass within the Sangh Parivar would have been secretly hoping that somehow, they could bring the Hindutva issue back into national limelight, but the BJP off-late, he been hesitant from doing that, for fear of missing out on national acceptance. IF Modi wins the Gujrat election, will the Sangh top brass decide to switch allegiances ? Will they ditch the old BJP leadership and back Modi to the hilt ? As hindutva loses prominence in the Indian psyche, these leaders must be feeling increasingly sidelined. Maybe, their thirst for power will force to change the guard. I am convinced that a fair number of leaders in BJP are secretly hoping he will lose.

Guest dada_rocks
It's a pity that the lone sane voice of the BJP Vajpayee will further be sidelined in his on party with the imminent victory of Modi in Gujarat . With Gujarat and HP victory ' date=' the momemtum favors BJP in the next General Election Advani better be wary of Modi ... heck to me he is the real numero uno who can be threat to Advani's dreams of becoming a PM.[/quote'] The canard which psec media has spread got punctured when vajpayeeji appealed to Gujraati population to vote for BJP..:two_thumbs_up:

Guest dada_rocks
There is no denying the star attraction of Modi, he is definitely one of the biggest crowd puller in Indian politics, but its his agenda that has people worried. He defies the norms of what is politically acceptable for a CM to say, he isnt afraid of antagonizing anyone. And his relationship with the RSS is surely a complex one. Many of the top-brass within the Sangh Parivar would have been secretly hoping that somehow, they could bring the Hindutva issue back into national limelight, but the BJP off-late, he been hesitant from doing that, for fear of missing out on national acceptance. IF Modi wins the Gujrat election, will the Sangh top brass decide to switch allegiances ? Will they ditch the old BJP leadership and back Modi to the hilt ? As hindutva loses prominence in the Indian psyche, these leaders must be feeling increasingly sidelined. Maybe, their thirst for power will force to change the guard. I am convinced that a fair number of leaders in BJP are secretly hoping he will lose.
Modi is going to be backed and simple reason is his efficiency miracles happen with him in charge.. Rest is meaningless scare-mongering commentary by psec literrati

The canard which psec media has spread got punctured when vajpayeeji appealed to Gujraati population to vote for BJP..:two_thumbs_up:
Vajpayee will never go against BJP. You know that . Do you agree that Modi is gonna become the real numero uno in the party after his win . I would think he is already more popular than Advani.

Modi is going to be backed and simple reason is his efficiency miracles happen with him in charge.. Rest is meaningless scare-mongering commentary by psec literrati
Are you saying that people like Arun Jaitley, Uma Bharati, Sushma Swaraj dont feel threatened by Modi ? You gotto be kidding.

Guest dada_rocks

That's but natural in any party which has tradition of intra-party democracy where fittest get to go ahead and don leadership . I know for an indian population which has been raised on staple diet of complete autocracy in intra-party matters ala congress's nehru-family--deserves-top-post--ahead-of-everybody-else iedology it's cultural shock but the existance of intra-party democracy is not negative.

Guest dada_rocks
Vajpayee will never go against BJP. You know that . Do you agree that Modi is gonna become the real numero uno in the party after his win . I would think he is already more popular than Advani.
He already is one of the topmost leaders. If he comes to the national stage it bodes well for chalta-hai machinery of govt/public sector. Advani is towering figure it will take sometime at centre for Modi to bridge gap between him and Advani. moreover Advani is nearing 80 and I am sure next election it's third-front's turn so he is basically presiding through the leadership-change period. Whether Shouri / Jaitley comes at the top or Modi remains to be seen. Me thinks Modi will remain in backstage it suits everybody well Jaitley/Shourie will be figure-head but who knows what is in store for tomorrow.

That's but natural in any party which has tradition of intra-party democracy where fittest get to go ahead and don leadership . I know for an indian population which has been raised on staple diet of complete autocracy in intra-party matters ala congress's nehru-family--deserves-top-post--ahead-of-everybody-else iedology it's cultural shock but the existance of intra-party democracy is not negative.
What a cr@ppy post DR. You are free to support BJP but what gives that you have the galls to go after Indian population in general? This comes from the man who supports a largely Vajpayee-Advani party over the years? Are you telling me that today Rajnath Singh is the biggest crowd puller for BJP? What are you smoking? By the by if you are realllyyyyy into cadre based party dont look beyond Communist Parties. Few know their top leaders but they still manage to win elections. Certainly more disciplined than BJP. And yes Modi's advent is causing heart-attacks in BJP. Why only BJP, even Shiv Sena is feeling the heat. It should be interesting to see how Thackeray starts firing to show that he is the sole Hindu Hriday Samrat. This Gujrat election might very well affect Indian elections in coming years, for good or bad. xxxx

Guest dada_rocks
Yea, but the problem is, if the common-enemies at the state and centre unite, Modi's plans can be thwarted. Keshubhai must be in secret correspondence with guys like Jaitley, Swaraj i am sure.
Keshubhai is 80 years old..I wud be surprised if doesn't get further marginalised if not driven out of party given his nautanki in this election, i.e if Modi wins.

Advani is towering figure it will take sometime at centre for Modi to bridge gap between him and Advani. moreover Advani is nearing 80 and I am sure next election it's third-front's turn so he is basically presiding through the leadership-change period. Whether Shouri / Jaitley comes at the top or Modi remains to be seen. Me thinks Modi will remain in backstage it suits everybody well Jaitley/Shourie will be figure-head but who knows what is in store for tomorrow.
Shourie is khatam :((:((:(( so is Jaitley :((:((:(( They are too polished to have a deep following in India anyway. At best their support will come from educated middle class in cities. It is the Laloos, Advanis, Mulayams, Mayawatis that still command respect in villages. And to an extent it is only fair. I personally had not heard much about Jaitley or Shourie(politics wise) before they came to actual ministeries. You simply can not go to the top without grass root support. Look at whats happening with Manmohan Singh. xxx

Keshubhai is 80 years old..I wud be surprised if doesn't get further marginalised if not driven out of party given his nautanki in this election' date=' i.e if Modi wins.[/quote'] But Keshubhai isnt the only disgruntled BJP leader in Gujrat.

Cant even understand why you guys are even discussing Vajpayee. He is just a figure-head' date=' nothing more than that. He is a secular/moderate that the BJP needs for the media. He is like the Anil Kumble of the BJP.[/quote'] He is still the most popular BJP leader. Yes its true Advani runs the day to day business, much like Nandan Nilekani does at Infosys(and not Narayanmurthy). But when Vajpayee says something, people listen, even his ardent distractors. He is one man in BJP, even non-BJP fans respect.

And to an extent it is only fair. I personally had not heard much about Jaitley or Shourie(politics wise) before they came to actual ministeries. You simply can not go to the top without grass root support. Look at whats happening with Manmohan Singh. xxx
Lurks, ever heard of I.K Gujral ?