Rohit Sharma Appreciation Squad

2 hours ago, maniac said:

Qf of the World Cup ..... Who showed up???

yeah don't brush it off as just Bangladesh.....just rewind the early overs of the game in your head for a second

It's time he starts showing up against tougher opponents in ICC tourneys the way Dhawan did in CT2013 or in WC2015. With due respect to B'desh, I would want my top players to show up against premier teams like Aus, Pak, SA, NZ, WI, Eng etc. Yes, it's great he showed up against B'desh but do you want to have a player in the team who doesn't show up against others in ICC tourneys?

16 hours ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Naah not really. E.g., a 3 match T20 series or a 5 match odi series at home against SL or SA is not the same as a semi-final or a final (or even a must-win game) in an ICC tourney. You only have to look at SA and their batsmen such as Amla or ABDV to see it. There's a different kind of pressure in must-win games of an ICC tourney and so far Rohit hasn't shown he can handle it.

Every game is a pressure game for India. You lose against BD, you will be criticized. You win against BD, you get nothing. Same for any other team, you are always playing for rankings. You lose a match to lower ranked side, you lose points. You lose to Pakistan, you will be abused. Regarding Rohit not showing in pressure games, no batsman can do that every time. Rohit has sometimes done well, sometimes not from his first game in T20 2007 to CB, series, WC last year, he has done well.

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Every game is a pressure game for India. You lose against BD, you will be criticized. You win against BD, you get nothing. Same for any other team, you are always playing for rankings. You lose a match to lower ranked side, you lose points. You lose to Pakistan, you will be abused. Regarding Rohit not showing in pressure games, no batsman can do that every time. Rohit has sometimes done well, sometimes not from his first game in T20 2007 to CB, series, WC last year, he has done well.

My point is that Rohit has been in the Indian setup for 9 years now and has been a regular in the side for 4-5 years. He performs pretty well in bilateral series but when the chips are down in an ICC tourney he's nowhere to be seen. One knock against B'desh won't cut it. You expect your top players to be a lot more consistent. Even in Aus (in WC 2015) he didn't do much against ougher opponents such as Pak, SA and Aus. Dhawan showed up and Kohli got a 100 against Pak and a 50 (or near 50) against SA. This is what you expect of your key performers.

So far Rohit is turning into one of those SA players (Amla, ABDV) who look like a million dollars in bilaterals but go missing when it really counts in ICC tourneys. The way Rohit batted in Aus in the recent series against Aus in odis and T20, you would think he's Bradman incarnate. And then you see him in WT20 and you wonder whether it's the same player. Yes, the pitches are different but that shouldn't result in such a steep drop-off in performances. There will always be pressure when you play for india, but the pressure in ICC tourneys (especially the must-win games) is a different level altogether. So far Rohit hasn't shown he can perform in that pressure and I'm hoping I'm proven wrong. I don't want Rohit to be another Amla, I want him to be another Kohli :pray: 

Edited by Ultimate_Game