Which one is the most reliable consumer review page for cars

Guest dada_rocks

DR... I went with car shopping with my friend last week. He is planning to buy a new sports sedan. So we went to Audi to check out 2008 A4. The price was around 31K + Tax, tag and Title(around 2.5K). Managed to get the dealer come down to 28K including Tax, tag and title. Walked out saying that its still not a good deal. He called this week in between. Thinking of getting it for around 27k :D

Guest dada_rocks

You guys have muddled up my head further.. Earlier I was reasonbaly sure that it's going to be CAMRY.. now it's open field once again.. one of my colleague has put some nice things about 1year old model so that further screws my decision making.. 27000 for Audi A4 looks cheap.. BTW on what basis u bargained must have seen dealer's real cost for whihc u need those information I was talking about..

You guys have muddled up my head further.. Earlier I was reasonbaly sure that it's going to be CAMRY.. now it's open field once again.. one of my colleague has put some nice things about 1year old model so that further screws my decision making.. 27000 for Audi A4 looks cheap.. BTW on what basis u bargained must have seen dealer's real cost for whihc u need those information I was talking about..
It will depend from person to person, dealer to dealer etc but here is how I have done it. Say you want to buy a Camry. At the end of the day you will get a good idea of the asking price with all the function you want. You can check Edmunds or KBB or other sites. Say the asking price suggested is 25 K. Now if this suits your budget then get ready. Go to the dealer. Most likely 25 K shall be said 28-30 K. First of all show a keen interest on the car so he knows you mean business. Then once the price issue starts you ask him what his best quote is. Most of the time he shall do some nuiscane of coming down 500$ or make a drama of going to meet his boss to cut down more. Indulge him. Let him make a couple of trips. Quite possible he would bring his manager too. Dont worry or be fazed. Most likely by this time your price would have come down from 28 to 27 or further. After a few routines of haggling tell him that you are interested in the car. You can buy it cash down or through interest right then and there(that means sign all the papers) IF the dealer matches your price. He would then ask your price. Give him 1 K less than your final amount. Say you are okay with 25 K, tell him 24 is your price. chalta hai to abhi leke jaata hoon warna main chalta hoon. He will create all scene but there is a good chance you may get it for 25 K. Has worked for me..twice. Also ask someone who has bought a car to get an idea on the price. One good tip is to wait till month end or quarter end. You will get best deals since dealers are closing the books. Incidentally right about New Years is a great time to buy cars. Ek to 2007 inventory is getting old and dealers want to move them and replace them with 2008 inventory. Plus it is year end and they have to meet/exceed their target. xxx

I agree with few points Lurker made there. Though at this time of the year 2007 models are virtually out of stock since 2008 model came out in Sep 2007 only. Did the same. Told the price that it would sell it for that time only. He made few trips. We took a test drive to maintain his confidence that we are interested in buying. He went to his manager few times. Every time brought a new set of numbers. Then later on his manager joined in and gave an offer. You need to spend time at the dealership. DR: first make up your mind about Pre-owned or New one. Just remember, even though it is pre-owned, the warranty it comes with has few exceptions always. Just like a small * at the end of the promotion which is explained in small letters at the bottom of a coupon. I experienced that at Pre-owned Beamer last week. Sriram: kabhi mera saath chalna. I will show you how. I got my car price down from 19k base price to 16k out of door :D

Sriram: kabhi mera saath chalna. I will show you how. I got my car price down from 19k base price to 16k out of door :D
Atta boy! Sriram you can knock off quite a few K easy. I can tell you some stories but there is always that issue of people thinking it is exaggeration. Lets just say it is easy to knock down 10%(cost gets down from 28 to 25 K). After that its your bargaining power. The more the merrier. DR, Apo is correct 2008 models are already here. Which is why make sure you drive both 2007 and 2008 models on test drive(if there is any inventory left of course). There would be little difference, if any, and the dealer would be in a hurry to get rid of 2007 inventory, you can bargain more on that. xxx

Guest dada_rocks

so the price whihc u sud be willing to pay . how do u calculate thatI got from carbuyingtips.com following equation Invoice- holdback fee- factory to consumer rebate- factory to dealer rebate.. add 3% to this number .. Average hold-back price they say is around 2.5% of invoice and for other info u will have to go to http://www.fightingchance.com/ any additional info I need to know? For used car there is no hard and fast rule they say look for KBB or ebay.. stil rough guestimation is done by reducing the car price by 15 cents on every mile and then take off additional 2000 $ for one year old model and keep takign off $100 for every subsequent year.. ?? your comments maha-bargainer log..

Guest dada_rocks

VIN Number starting with other than the letter J means car manufactured in USA, right ?? This information is important becaue it will save me around 7% custom on usa/canada border.

Guest dada_rocks

USA canadians ko new car (toyota, HONDa, SAturn etc) bechana band kar diya hai.. so I have no choice.. Dollar vale same hai aur canada mein ridiculously high price hai .. For instance for HONDA CRV price difference on base model is 8000 SO I will go for 2007 model with 4-5000 mile on it.. So price guesstimation as per carbuyingtips.com should be MSRP- no. of miles *15 cents - $20000 ??

USA canadians ko new car (toyota, HONDa, SAturn etc) bechana band kar diya hai.. so I have no choice.. Dollar vale same hai aur canada mein ridiculously high price hai .. For instance for HONDA CRV price difference on base model is 8000 SO I will go for 2007 model with 4-5000 mile on it.. So price guesstimation as per carbuyingtips.com should be MSRP- no. of miles *15 cents - $20000 ??
Used car ka idea is very good. A new car has its benefits like appeal, less headache etc but it is also true that a new car loses value immediately. If you buy a Camry for 25 K you wont get more than 20 K if you sold it within a month. Of course as time passes you lose value at a lesser cost. Here is what you keep in mind DR: 1) Are you going for a SUV or a sedan? 2) If you are going for a used sedan then most likely you will have to shell 15K plus for a good one. About 20 K for a very recent model with low miles. 3) If you are willing to spend about 20K then you have two options: a) Go for a Honda/Toyota with about 5-15K miles and make 2006 or later. b) Go for a European car with about 25-30 and make 2005 or later. If I were you I would seriously consider the latter. Pound for pound BMW is the best car to retain value as well as consumer satisfaction. It will go as much, if not more, than a Honda or a Toyota, and will retain the value. Plus it is fantastic in cold weather environment(which I suppose you are in). The only drawback is that if you need any maintainence then the parts are costly. But hopefully you wont require it. I would say look around for BMW as well before you make mind. As for SUV I am not a fan of them, I am more a sedan person. By the by check with Rajeev, or your best buddy CC. They are from Canada so they may have some ideas on this one. xxx

Buy a new car. Less headache. However keep it for 7-8 yrs atleast after u buy it. Then u need not worry so much abt value dropping in 1st year etc. 7-8 years will get you good value out of it, more the better.
Same car for 7-8 yearsssss !!! The only thing i have had constant in my life for so long is my family.