Did you guys walk ? I'm curious now

living

When I was in high school, I used to walk, if I had edged the ball. When I became team captain, then I encouraged everyone in my team to do so as well (although our coach hated it :cantstop:) What about you guys?? Did you walk, or did you stay on??

no...never. There's been a couple of times where there's been an audible nick and I've stood there fighting to keep all expression out of my face when I know the umpire isn't doing anything. Why? well I've had some rough decisions in my career...umpires like to give LBWs a lot because it's hot and they want to go home. So I never walk. If the umpire saves you one day he can always shoot you down the next

Guest Hiten.

Not bragging. But i have been caught just once and it was a genuine Knick, so I had to walk. I get bowled and LBW a lot :( ... working to improve that :)

Guest HariSampath

I walked whenever it was very clear that any edge had been taken clean. If there was any doubt about the catch, I would not walk despite bowlers / fielders celebrating etc. As I had been an opener from U-15 till University levels, this had happened many times with me. If lbw appeal went up and umpire gives it notout , nothing I can do as a batter, because if it is plumb in front and I get away it is the badluck of bowlers. Once I was given notout in a university game with 3 runs needed to win, and umpire told me end of the over he felt I had a small nick, I told him I didn't and said I had no way of knowing if the appeal was turned down due to the nick or line.. Umpire said as there was just 3 runs and we had 6 wkts, he didn't mind. I had never appealed for half volley catches, and in fact when I dropped a catch at slip and plucked it up on the second attempt at half volley, in Bangalore in a game, I signalled hand down to squareleg umpire...and batter was given notout. I do believe that in some very straight cricket incidents, players should play straight and not consciously cheat...standing when in doubt is fine. When I had been given out totally meaninglessly..I had of course cussed the umpire while leaving etc...been mad, and later had words with bowler etc. Of course I remember another crucial game when an umpire turned down an lbw right in front middle stump on back foot. I was at slip, and so pissed off. The batter got out caught and bowled off my bowling after 2 overs, and I turned back with an elaborate appeal for that, to piss off the umpire. I did this , remembering an incident in NZ, when BS Chandrasekhar had so many plumb lbw s turned down for NZ batters, and when Chandra bowled the last man, he turned and appealed. Umpire said " He is bowled" and Chandra replied " I know he is bowled, but is he out"

It never seemed to be an issue in my early playing days. If you hit the ball, including a 'feather', and it was caught, you'd just walk off. No need for an umpire's decision. However, as my career progressed, I became aware of batsmen being given both out & not out where the umpire had given an honest decision but, technically, an incorrect one. Later, when I became captain, I advised my players to leave it up to the umpire's on anything close. To walk or not has nothing to do with honesty as that only works one way. If a batsman knows he has either hit the ball when adjudged lbw or not hit it when given out caught behind, the fact he's known as a 'walker' means nothing. He must go. As Symmo wrote: ""I was really lucky. I was out when I was 30 and given not out - that's cricket though," Symonds said. "I can sit here and tell you about some bad decisions (I've had) as well but I won't."

Guest HariSampath
It never seemed to be an issue in my early playing days. If you hit the ball, including a 'feather', and it was caught, you'd just walk off. No need for an umpire's decision. However, as my career progressed, I became aware of batsmen being given both out & not out where the umpire had given an honest decision but, technically, an incorrect one. Later, when I became captain, I advised my players to leave it up to the umpire's on anything close. To walk or not has nothing to do with honesty as that only works one way. If a batsman knows he has either hit the ball when adjudged lbw or not hit it when given out caught behind, the fact he's known as a 'walker' means nothing. He must go. As Symmo wrote: ""I was really lucky. I was out when I was 30 and given not out - that's cricket though," Symonds said. "I can sit here and tell you about some bad decisions (I've had) as well but I won't."
On the match appreciation thread for the 4th ODI in India, this is what I had posted when we gained a clear advantage im umpiring, and won the game... *********************************
Hey beetle... Listen, that bit about umpires were mostly in humor, as anyone who reads it can understand. Of course I am not taking away any credit from this win, but I am also a realist and no one can deny that we had a minimum of FOUR clearcut decisions our way today due to absurd umpiring. I mean doubtful LBWs are understandable, but the sort of plumb LBWs and a clearcut snick by Tendulkar being turned down by Shastri undoubtedly turned the game towards us. If Sachin ( dismissed 3 times in the first 7 overs) as anyone who saw the game will admit unbiasedly and honestly had gone early, Dravid or Uthappa would have come in and who knows what would have happened, maybe we all can guess. Also, durirng a key moment in the chase, Ponting , a top batsman for Aussies in all run chases was given out , NOT by the field umpire but by the TV umpire, after 5 replays, when clearly his back foot was on the innerside of the batting crease. Well, the Aussies don't deserve to win bcos they miscalculated badly, Ponting didn't complete Brett Lee's overs when he was on top of Sachin, instead brought Symonds on and the game changed. And the number of wides, extras plus other strategic misses by Ponter make me think they were not deserving to win, also, the fantastic finish by Dhoni and Uthappa, the great spin bowling of Bhajji and Karfthik, plus we holding the nerve and taking vital wkts all made us win. Let me add.....and u will see it on my very early posts on the match thread, I was very disappointed that Sachin didn't walk when he nicked and knew he hit the ball. First time since 1989 I am seeing this happen. Also lets not gloss over his very poor batting today, and lets not get carried away by one win to ignore glaring faults we have. Thanks, Hari Sampath