One day with a loner cricket fanatic

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks

Wake up at 7:00 AM,that's what happens when u go to sleep at 2 AM. Even before paying obeisiance to your deity and thanking almighty for being alive to witness another day of cricket reach out and hit enter on laptop. Of course u dozed off on couch itself last night painting million what-if events on your cerebral canvass. While perusing through the cricket portals god only knows why because u followed the action last night not only till the last ball but till the last punditry from those plethora of cricket commentators flooding the idiot box these days . After all not only what transpired yesterday is etched in your head but also the numerous what-could-have-been routines are still doing the rounds. But u still read the columns. Drag yourself to the bathroom after switching on the coffee-maker for the morning dose of caffein after all u have to pontificate on cricket and one needs fresh mind for that. U might have thought thank god at least while in bathroom there is no cricket, well u are wrong. Over the years u have found commod is the best place to do the thinking so u go once again in your head summarising the cricketing event of yesterday. What if Bucknor was not deaf and dumb what if PCB had not back-stabbed what if Dravid had not had brain-fart what if Laxman shunned from committing to the off-drive when he was not sure which way it will turn. You know nothing is going to change those events but being the hopeless what-if man you can't help it. Leisurely you go through the routine of brushing your teeth taking shower; gone are the days when at least while showering you chanted name of your deity, will tendulkar play one of his trade-mark innings tomorrow keeps u occupied while bathing. Sorry Lord Shiva better luck next day today it's Tendulkar's turn. While you are washing yourself off phone rings and as usual it's Shrimatiji asking what did u have for dinner last night and how is your tabiyat did u sleep pon time, yada yada. U answer in affrimative about sleep but u both know u are lying after all test cricket is ON and u can't be expected not to watch it. Yes u have had food-poisoning induced fever culprit again is cricket because it hardly left you with any time to cook and you gulped whatever moth-eaten stuff u laid ur hands on in the freeze. Well freeze is empty anyway because the person in charge of that department is missing since last two months and u can't be bothered to do the shopping. For the first two weeks it was turn of all those frozen vegetable/meat stuff. When that got finished those hoarded Razma/chhola's turn came; finally you appreciate why Smtji hoarded big humpers of these before leaving. Since last two weeks it was turn of toor/moong/urad etc lentils. Anyway when you are hungry anything tastes great : hunger is the best sauce. These days your staple-diet is chawal-ghee-blackpepper-salt, whining aside give it a try guys it tastes great. You wonder how did u turn into lazy bum after-all you had cooked for yourself for a decade and u used to enjoy it too. You can't find answer on how and why; well culprit is cricket. You litrally wander to the work there is a technical meeting and colleague asks.. u are awfully quiet today?.. still mentally on vacation it seems. Again wrong diagnosis; it's cricket mate. He has nary a clue you spent whole vacation in ur living-room watching thinking and liltrally living cricket. You are staring at ur workstation figuring ways to enhance the quantum efficiency, enhace DQE. Who are u kidding you are jus staring. Well you got two monitors on the other screen page-long mail from Israeli defence asking obvious questions sits which needs to be answered too. You don't expect this sort of questions from these guys who otherwise are just brillinat. You start thinking what if there was no language barrier thousands of work-hours could have been saved. Then what if there was no cricket million more thousand of work hours wud not have been lost. With all these thoughts in mind u start writing this BS of a post and waste some more time on cricket. Phone rings again; same person same question.. Jesus girl it's food-poisoning not cancer; give me a break. You already are waiting for day to end and heart is filled with dreams of impending tendulkar master-class although mind keeps jolting from that reverie but then again what kind of cricket fanatic you would be if you allow ur mind to dictate terms.

Good one DR... thoroughly enjoyed it... There is a refreshing honesty in the way you write, If you had put in a little bit more effort to avoid some errors, the article would have been even more enjoyable ! Nevertheless, a soothing read ! :two_thumbs_up:

BTW, what is this ?

You are staring at ur workstation figuring ways to enhance the quantum efficiency, DQE. Well you got two monitors on the other screen page-long mail from Israeli defence asking obvious questions sits which needs to be answered too.
Israeli defense ? Whats with that DR ?
Guest dada_rocks

These days I am sort of the liaision man for one of their missile-defence program's imaging project basically to do with the detection of moving target.. Yes in high end research you will seldom find any north american and given rest of the blokes on project are Russian Dutch Swiss Korean Japanese, I a resident typo-messiha of this board gets the langauge expert's job bridging the communication gap. :D Only if I had got a penny every-time people asked me, so in India people communicate in English. :haha: Little does he know my tryst with spoken English didn't start till engg school. We Indians rock if it comes to it we can master even Chinese.:D BTW Sir Macalay must be doing bhangra in his grave.

Guest dada_rocks
Good one DR... thoroughly enjoyed it... There is a refreshing honesty in the way you write, If you had put in a little bit more effort to avoid some errors, the article would have been even more enjoyable ! Nevertheless, a soothing read ! :two_thumbs_up:
Ab article ka maine soncha nahin otherwise wud have gone through the draft second time at least.:giggle:
Guest dada_rocks
:two_thumbs_up:..It Seems Dhondy is soon going to face stiff competition from talented writers here.. Enjoyed it DR... DR...try Curd Rice....it tastes great... also simple Rice + Ghee + Salt + Aam ka acha is a heavenly combination ..
Dhondy hi kyun Shakespear khatre mein hai.. Jhaad pe mat charhao hamen:hysterical: I prefer mircha ka achar
Guest HariSampath

very good post, fantastic reading. I found myself nodding in agreement....remembering the time in Chicago, while dreaming of an Indian comeback..I ended up clearing the snow off someone else's car in the morning...( frustrating it is...in uncovered parking after a snowstorm and you have forgotten where you parked after last nite's binge..and someone behind you smiling his thanks)..still you are wondering if Sachin and Ganguly will add 200...mom/wife calls from India asking if groceries are done, don't eat out, just make chawal/sabji, remember to do dishes/vacuum...at work, there is quarter deadlines....all this is no big deal...the issue of the day, that of life's meaning itself is whether India can win/survive the test and whether Sachin/Dravid/ganguly can get 100s..of course we know 9 out of ten times its not gonna happen, but we still foolishly hope for the odd time...I remember cursing myself and resolving not to be addicted to this cricket charade of India, but always failed...and so I am still hoping tomorrow.

Guest dada_rocks
very good post' date=' fantastic reading. I found myself nodding in agreement....remembering the time in Chicago, while dreaming of an Indian comeback..I ended up clearing the [b']snow off someone else's car in the morning...( frustrating it is...in uncovered parking after a snowstorm and you have forgotten where you parked after last nite's binge..and someone behind you smiling his thanks)..still you are wondering if Sachin and Ganguly will add 200...mom/wife calls from India asking if groceries are done, don't eat out, just make chawal/sabji, remember to do dishes/vacuum...at work, there is quarter deadlines....all this is no big deal...the issue of the day, that of life's meaning itself is whether India can win/survive the test and whether Sachin/Dravid/ganguly can get 100s..of course we know 9 out of ten times its not gonna happen, but we still foolishly hope for the odd time...I remember cursing myself and resolving not to be addicted to this cricket charade of India, but always failed...and so I am still hoping tomorrow.
:haha::haha: Here is hoping this to be that lucky tenth ocassion
Guest dada_rocks
Excellent write up DR. I for one am relieved that I'm not the only one crazy enough to think about cricket 24/7.
:cantstop: Is hamaam mein sab nanage hain:D
Guest dada_rocks

So it did turn out on of those days.. Up side of being fanatic when it pays it pays well.. Looking forward to nice capping of test victory now.