Is calling Monkey actually racism?

In US it is considered racism and there has been incidents where fans were thrown out of basketball games. But all those fans where whites and the term was intended upon blacks hence labeled as racism. How can this be labeled racist if H Singh(Indian) who is not white used this against Symonds(charge not proven yet)?

Yes it is because it means your mom is of loose character. And Moms are not to be abused ....not that Indians don't abuse each others moms...but it is serious. If someone called me that ...I would certainly slap the person. Monkey is ok...even my husband calls me that sometimes and my mom called me monkey,donkey andstuff.

is bastard derogatory in India? I ask this in all seriousness......re: hogg charge ( he should ban himself the way he bowled )
A lot of folks from the Indian team are middle-class small-town folks. Most of them tend to interpret english abuses literally and so would find bastard offensive. That would infact translate to the hindi term "harami". And yeah it will offend people, as anything related to the family is considered highly offensive. So naturally even abuses involving mothers, sisters, fathers would be deemed very offensive. Calling people by animal names can also be offensive but it will be much less so. To give an example, young kids would at max use terms such as "kutta" or "dog" to abuse someone, and using abuses that refer to ppl's families comes at a much higher age and is normally used under extreme circumstances lol (if at all). [some guys though do use these words in jest or simply just throw them out randomly in a sentence if they're good friends with each other] Sometimes people do call another person a monkey or a 'bandar', but that is mostly to refer to either the person being a fool or mischevious. Sometimes women (who are more concerned about looks) would say "yeh to bandar ki tarah dikhta hai" (i.e. he looks like a monkey) but not to refer to the color of the person's skin but as a completely blunt and frank remark to refer to the person's facial features. Heck regarding monkeys, you do know we have a monkey god don't you ?

Calling "B@stard" is definately a derogatory term for India. reason is straight forward -- unlike westerners, in Indian Culture and particularly in Hinduism, Indians regard their "Maata" and "Pitaa" higher than God himself. The problem is a Christian or Evangelical from West can never understand this thing that Mother can be higher than Jesus or God. However in India partcularly in Ramayan there are several instances where Lord Shri Ram himslef is referred as "Matu Pitaa ke Navahin Maatha" -- meaning is Shri Ram every morning use to bow down in front of his Mother and Father. Also there is this famous dialogue between Shri Ram and Laxman where Shri Raam says that -- "Janani Janmabhoomisch Swargadapi Gariyasi" -- meaning -- "Mother and Motherland are greater than Heaven". So abusing "mother" of an Indian is the insult of HIGHEST kind and demands heavy punishment.

@OP....calling Monkey has never been racist in India. as some have highlighted...during our childhood, our parent use to call us "bandar" (monkey) when we are doing some mischief. Now if "Monkey" is racist-- then parents must be racist towards their own children....:hysterical::giggle:

Heck regarding monkeys, you do know we have a monkey god don't you ?
thanks for all previous info Varun. and i was not aware specifically of a monkey god. i know that Hinduism is not a monotheistic religion a-la judaism and christianity and that there are many gods or devas but am not familiar with all of them...... funnily enough buddhism seems to be the most widely understood eastern religion here in aust, almost trendy....having done a little reading on various religions i would have to say Hinduism has the most appeal/makes the most sense to me but of course you dont discuss religion or politics with polite company in aust.... /on an aside, the australian census held every 4 years had 70000 people identify their religion as "jedi" from the movie star wars....:hysterical::giggle:, 360,000 in UK and 20000 in NZ..... link here on this phenomenon ( or piss-take/joke) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon
thanks for all previous info Varun. and i was not aware specifically of a monkey god. i know that Hinduism is not a monotheistic religion a-la judaism and christianity and that there are many gods or devas but am not familiar with all of them...... funnily enough buddhism seems to be the most widely understood eastern religion here in aust, almost trendy....having done a little reading on various religions i would have to say Hinduism has the most appeal/makes the most sense to me but of course you dont discuss religion or politics with polite company in aust.... /on an aside, the australian census held every 4 years had 70000 people identify their religion as "jedi" from the movie star wars....:hysterical::giggle:, 360,000 in UK and 20000 in NZ..... link here on this phenomenon ( or piss-take/joke) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon
A lot more follow sachinsm in this country......:D
i know that Hinduism is not a monotheistic religion a-la judaism and christianity and that there are many gods or devas but am not familiar with all of them......
Wrong. That's the faulty/flawed unedrstanding of Hinduism by westerners and many western educated Indian Hindus/self-proclaimed atheists. For unedrstanding monotheism you have to define --what is monotheism in your view....since ICF is a politically-correct forum and doesn't allow religious discussions --- otherwise I can rip apart the false claim of Monotheism by Islamists, Christians and those soul-harvesters with their pseudo-montheistic charms. Islamic and Christian defined monotheism is VERY Narrow and Temporal -- enuff said. PS: "Avaita" (Non-Dualism) of Hinduism is the true Monotheism..thing to note is even Budhism borrows heavily from Adviata Vedanta.
/on an aside, the australian census held every 4 years had 70000 people identify their religion as "jedi" from the movie star wars....:hysterical::giggle:, 360,000 in UK and 20000 in NZ.....
LOL :haha: The only way that would make sense is if the census was a multiple choice questionnaire with "Jedi" being a part of the choices ! :P