India's outrage is justified - Rashid Latif

DesiChap

India’s outrage is justified 10latif.jpgGUEST COLUMN Rashid Latif

I had the misfortune of dealing with Mike Procter in 2003 during a Test match against Bangladesh. He handed me a five-match ban for claiming a catch behind the stumps when television replays showed that the ball had touched the ground. During the hearing I told him I did not know that the ball toucched the ground before reaching my gloves but I got a feeling he was not willing to believe a Pakistani player could make an honest mistake. Eventually, his punishment of five one-day Internationals ban led to my saying goodbye to cricket. But I firmly believe that while the Indian media and part of the international press is justified to some extent in going after Australian captain, Ricky Ponting, and his team for their antics during the Sydney Test and even questioning the extent of their gamesmanship. I think everyone needs to go back to the World Twenty20 meet to understand the Australians’ behaviour.From what I have observed it was clear that the Australians were stretching their gamesmanship only against the Indians and frankly speaking the ball was set rolling by the Indians themselves during the Twenty20 tournament with some childish behaviour. Take a look at the India-Australia match and you will see that Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan Singh and Sreesanth had gone overboard with their celebrations. This animosity continued when Australia toured India for the one-day series with the Sreesanth antics and the Andrew Symonds taunts. I get a feeling that the Australians were waiting for India to play in their own backyard to pay them back in their own coin in gamesmanship and this has led to what has happened. I am not defending the actions of the umpires or the Match Referee, Mike Procter, but honestly speaking I think the Indian players also need to review their behaviour. In that context, the Indians certainly have every right to feel slighted because they suffered some glaring umpiring blunders in Sydney and if these decisions had not gone against them the result might have been different.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080110/jsp/sports/story_8764878.jsp

But I firmly believe that while the Indian media and part of the international press is justified to some extent in going after Australian captain, Ricky Ponting, and his team for their antics during the Sydney Test and even questioning the extent of their gamesmanship. I think everyone needs to go back to the World Twenty20 meet to understand the Australians’ behaviour.From what I have observed it was clear that the Australians were stretching their gamesmanship only against the Indians and frankly speaking the ball was set rolling by the Indians themselves during the Twenty20 tournament with some childish behaviour. Take a look at the India-Australia match and you will see that Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan Singh and Sreesanth had gone overboard with their celebrations. This animosity continued when Australia toured India for the one-day series with the Sreesanth antics and the Andrew Symonds taunts. I get a feeling that the Australians were waiting for India to play in their own backyard to pay them back in their own coin in gamesmanship and this has led to what has happened.
Latif made a valid and important point and I have to agree what he said here.
anyways this yet another stupid rule in cricket that players can't claim bump catches. it is the job of the idiot umpires to make the right call' date= not by asking another teammate of the catcher in question I might add.
And what if the catch is made in the deep. Surely then players claiming bump catch can easily get away . Third umpire is the only solution to this malice.
And what if the catch is made in the deep. Surely then players claiming bump catch can easily get away . Third umpire is the only solution to this malice.
they already have that case covered - i am actually surprised they have given the overall incompetence. if an ump can't see a catch clearly cause his vision is obstructed (donno which cases qualify though), the catch can be referred to the third ump.

I agree with Yoda it is for the umpire to make a decision whether it was grounded or not. The umpire Benson did but after having consulted Ponting, WTF. Latif makes a good point though OZs must have been waiting to pay back and why not in your own backyard?