I would never say anything to sachin... : Hayden

veer

Hayden calls spat a stray incident Sriram Veera April 30, 2008 Matthew Hayden has said the Harbhajan Singh-Sreesanth row left him upset but is confident it was a stray incident. Hayden, the Australian opener currently playing for Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League, also said he wouldn't use this to sledge either of them when Australia tour India later this year. "I was very upset, I just think we play this great game, in a great competition and both these guys are young men with enormous responsibilities as two fine players and prospects for the country that adores cricket and its cricketers," Hayden told Cricinfo. "So I am sure they will feel remorseful as any player would. Because I think any player who has risen to the top of the game obviously has enormous respect and enormous discipline to get there. Honestly, I think it will be tomorrow's headlines and life will move on. The game has always moved on." Asked whether he thought this was just a momentary lapse of reason Hayden said, "I think so, yes. I didn't think this was ever going to happen and I don't think it will happen again either. Hopefully not." Hayden had a famous run-in with Harbhajan during India's tour of Australia, where he called the offspinner a "little obnoxious weed". Would he use the latest incident between Sreesanth and Harbhajan as a sledging tool when Australia visit India in October? "No, I won't be," he says with emphasis. Is he drawing a moral line to sledging? "Yes, I think so. That is an incident between two individuals and I don't want to comment on their relationship and where they are at and how they are going. There is no point. All that does is just create another headline and I don't want to do that. I love the game of cricket and I have been really successful at the game of cricket, so I don't think I need to push that barrier. "It's the beauty of our game really; there is a gentlemanly aspect to the game and we get challenged on this. Australia has been nominated as the best sledgers and we get asked the question a lot of time but in reality its actually a mis-truth or certainly an exaggerated truth. "What the world has done following the success of Australian cricket is to try and vilify us. And that's fair enough as the best in the world need to be taken down. So we always had to be on our guard and understand within that we need to address the issue before anyone else does. Hayden also said the Australian team has discussed the image of being the bad boys of international cricket and the ways of sledging. "You tell me what are these incidents of bad boys. I don't think we are. But yes, we senior players do sit together and work out where we want to go and how we want to play our cricket. Also, making comments can be distracting to some characters. If someone is forced to do that without it being a motivating factor then its trouble." He believes every team has a few characters that get involved in sledging. "I think in any given side, there are always two or three people that look to sledge. For e.g. In the Indian side, it would be Sreesanth, Harbhajan and [Robin] Uthappa. You wouldn't hear a boo out of Rahul [Dravid], MS [Dhoni] and [Anil] Kumble though they are all fiercely determined." Hayden also spoke about the art of sledging and how he would pick certain individuals for the treatment. " You choose your targets, really. I would never say anything to Sachin [Tendulkar], Rahul or Anil or anyone like that. I believe they have marked the test of time. We have been in battles together so many times and there is an enormous respect. Not that making comment is disrespect; making comment is trying to unsettle a player because you don't know whether that guy has the skills to deal with it. And that was exactly the same when I was young coming into the game. You expect to get that."

Guest Hiten.

Our 'Sledgers' have to learn something from this article. That is, pick players appropriately to go head on. Most of our 'Sledgers' are young and if they pick against guys who have already built a strong reputation for themselves in cricket world then they are basically insulting themselves. Guys like SRT, RD and AK are not picked on by other teams because they know these guys have achieved more than enough to be distracted by little chatter bugs.

Hayden calls spat a stray incident He believes every team has a few characters that get involved in sledging. "I think in any given side, there are always two or three people that look to sledge. For e.g. In the Indian side, it would be Sreesanth, Harbhajan and [Robin] Uthappa. You wouldn't hear a boo out of Rahul [Dravid], MS [Dhoni] and [Anil] Kumble though they are all fiercely determined."
There was a classic result-oriented sledge by Kumble that got MoYo out. Of course, it worked because he didnt expect it.

There was a classic result-oriented sledge by Kumble that got MoYo out. Of course' date=' it worked because he didnt expect it.[/quote'] And it is this kind of sledging that is needed when we bowl/field rather than the "aggressiveness" Sreesanth shows

There was a classic result-oriented sledge by Kumble that got MoYo out. Of course' date=' it worked because he didnt expect it.[/quote'] I remember Graeme Smith talking about how he was new to international cricket (early 20's) and was relentlessly sledged by the Warne/Hayden combo! That is intimidating for any rookie!!

Guest Hiten.
I remember Graeme Smith talking about how he was new to international cricket (early 20's) and was relentlessly sledged by the Warne/Hayden combo! That is intimidating for any rookie!!
Australians made Daryl Cullian's (SA MO batsman) life miserable as soon as he marked his guard against Shane Warne. Daryl was Shane's bunny.

An the Indian captain knows the secret as well.

I am all for aggression and not taking anything lying down from the opposition. It is important to give as good as you get, but it’s even more important to know how to do it.
And add to it from Hayden "who to do it to."

^ Honestly, all you attention seeking blog-rabbits have come to the wrong place. Oh and yes, we need to learn about who to sledge too.
Have you visited the link sir. If you think I am not adding the value to the thread I will stop providing links as such. But you can follow my other posts and find out that I am only providing a highly relevant link when I can add value for the reader. In other instances I am just contributing honestly to the forum as much as anybody else.