India's medal prospects

triam

Two athletes i will be watching; 1. Virdhawal Khade (Swimming)

India's Virdhawal Khade is being hailed as a swimming sensation in his medal-starved country after the 16-year-old qualified for three events at the Beijing Olympics. The schoolboy achieved the 200 metres freestyle mark at the world championships in Melbourne last year when he became the youngest Indian to do so at the age of 15. In May he added the 50m and 100m, raising hopes in some quarters of boosting India's miniscule Olympic tally, if not in 2008 then in 2012 at the London Games. Khade's personal bests compare well with swimmers of his own age, though fall a couple of seconds shy of world record marks. But his coach Nihar Ameen told Reuters: "In terms of natural talent, not only measured against others I have worked with, but virtually any swimmer in his age group that I have seen around the world, he is a prodigy." Although full of praise, the Indian swimming community is wary about expecting too much too soon from the muscular 1.9-metre, 80-kilogram Khade. "At his age.... he is the hope of the country," Swimming Federation of India secretary Virendra Nanavati told Reuters.
2. Vijender Kumar (Boxing)
Sparring in the 75kg category, the amateur boxer with rakish good looks has picked up medals at the Commonwealth and Asian Games, and tournaments in Germany, Baku, Karachi and Scotland. Now, he is getting into peak fighting condition for Beijing - his second Olympics outing. And the boxer himself says that if he picks up a medal in Beijing, he will take a shot at becoming India's first professional boxer. "A promoter like Don King, a ring inside Madison Square Garden, and millions of dollars per bout. That is my dream, that is where I want to be," says Vijender, sitting in his newly built two-storey house in Kaluwas village. Boxing has begun to pay a little in India, thanks to the increased munificence of the authorities: Vijender received substantial cash bonuses from the government for winning the Commonwealth Games and the Asian games medals.
-- These two, the badminton player Sridar, Lee-Hesh, Rathore (along with the other shooters) and Anju George in the long jump will be carrying India's hopes. I'll be very surprised if India won a medal. A country of a billion, incapable of producing a single world class athlete. Pathetic.

BREAKING NEWS In a stunning development of sorts, the authorities in charge of Indian sport and athletics - simply known as the non-cricket federation - are thinking about drafting a petition to the International Olympic Committee for the inclusion of computer programming as an Olympic Sport. "It involves rapid, reflexive thinking, coupled with dynamic hand to eye coordination, and these are values which epitomise all sports. So why exclude computer programing ?", claimed Indian sports minister DeshpremirajSingh Lunduppa. This initiative was designed with the intention of boosting the nation's chances of winning an Olympic medal [or two]. The prospect of the proposal gaining acceptance amongst the board of the IOC is very likely, according to reputable Hindi news channel IndiaTV. In other news, a flock of pigs were seen flying above the Jantar Mantar in New Delhi. Whether this event will coincide with an Indian athlete winning a gold-medal is something that will soon be revealed. © Thomson Reuters 2008

The shooters are India's only hope bringing home a medal. Gagan Narang, Samresh Jung & Manvjit Sandhu are capable of a podium finish. Rathore has been in pi$$ poor form. Lee-Hesh & Anju George are has-beens. N0 chance for them. The boxers are supposed to be promising lot, but they have been sent to Beijing without their trainers or physios, thanks to the Indian Olympic Association. Sometimes I feel it would be better if we don't win a single medal, since that wouldn't give the thugs running the sport a chance to bask in the glory of a sole medal winner like they've been doing since 1996.

The shooters are India's only hope bringing home a medal. Gagan Narang, Samresh Jung & Manvjit Sandhu are capable of a podium finish. Rathore has been in pi$$ poor form. Lee-Hesh & Anju George are has-beens. N0 chance for them. The boxers are supposed to be promising lot, but they have been sent to Beijing without their trainers or physios, thanks to the Indian Olympic Association. Sometimes I feel it would be better if we don't win a single medal, since that wouldn't give the thugs running the sport a chance to bask in the glory of a sole medal winner like they've been doing since 1996.
sometimes i dont know whether to laugh or cry, see this, http://www.rediff.com/sports/2008/jul/31hock.htm 4 coaches to watch other teams? jeez, dont these guys know something called tapes vcrs etc even if thye dont know about DVD players. Paid vacation for these losers